April 13, 2009

an urban farmer blog

My mom sent me this awesome blog last week and though I’m not sure how many of you darling readers are actually turning your backyards into vegetable farms this summer, perhaps there are a few who would benefit:

Diggin Food

It’s a Seattle-based vegetable garden and food blog written by Willi Galloway, and stuffed full of awesome backyard farming tips. Like:

How to make a super simple and inexpensive squash teepee. Making it this weekend, for sure.

How to grow your beans up the side of a fence.

Plus she posts an excellent backyard chicken resource. Did I mention we’re getting chickens? I’m so excited. Sometimes I think we already have them, but really I just have their names picked out. We’re actually waiting on our nifty modern henhouse to ship from the UK. Only a few more weeks…

ANYWAY, check out her blog. It makes me want to abandon all professional goals and dedicate my days to growing things up the sides of fences.

comments

1. P. said on April 13, 2009

You don’t even understand how jealous I am that you are getting chicken! LUCKY!
    Thank you for this resource – I am off to check it out now.

2. Molly Jean said on April 13, 2009

This is great AND timely. This weekend I just read a story in The New York Times about how more people are electing to grow their own food in light of the recession. People who have never gardened are giving it a shot! Hopefully this will be a change for the better in the way American’s eat + live. Anyway, love this resource! Thanks for it!

3. cevd said on April 13, 2009

chickens?! oh i desperately want chickens. though i suppose a backyard might be a necessity. lucky girl.

4. Teresa said on April 13, 2009

The chicken shot made me laugh out loud. Fabulous!

5. Sara E. Cotner said on April 13, 2009

Oh, Kristina, please divulge the details of your chicken coop (I apologize if I missed it in an earlier post). Matt and I are getting ready to build one (shh…don’t tell the historic deed restriction enforcers). We need all the inspiration we can get (and your taste is exquisite!).

6. Kris said on April 14, 2009

Are you getting an Eglu?! They look so amazing, how exciting! x

7. Anonymous said on April 15, 2009

Please let us know what your modern chicken coop is all about. I really would love to have chickens.