June 19, 2009

tablecloths + advice

YAY. Friday you are here.

Do you like my vintage tablecloths I’ve diligently won on ebay over the last few weeks? 2 were my grandma’s but the rest are the result of hours of clicking and subsequent overbidding. I believe I mentioned that I was having a small problem with ebay as of late? But look at my spoils:

aren’t they cute?

They are going to be perfect strewn about the tables on the back patio tomorrow eve. But the big question is, should I let the chickens roam free when the ladies are about?

They are relatively well behaved as chickens go. And they mostly keep to themselves. It’s just that I’d have to put them away before 5 and that’s like a full 3 hours before they normally go back into their coop.

Plus wouldn’t it be cute to see chickens scratching around during my rustic-barn-wedding-that-I-didn’t-get-so-I-instead-disguised-it-as-my-sister-in-law’s-shower?

See her there, above the wheel barrow that I’m going to use as an open cooler-thing for wine? (I had to do a test run when I got home to find the rentals delivered and in the backyard). Wouldn’t she make a nice addition?

Opinions please. Brock thinks I should put them away. But he doesn’t know. Necessarily.

comments

1. Connie said on June 19, 2009

I've been an avid reader of your blog for months now, but I think this is my first comment! :-o

I love the tablecloths! <3 And the wheelbarrow idea is super – it's going to fit in perfectly. And I say keep the chickens! I'd *love* to go to a party where those little guys were clucking around…

You've put in so much effort for this, I'm certain it will be an absolutely amazing shower! I wish someone had thrown me one half as nice! ;-) I hope it all goes off without a hitch!

/Connie

2. Jill said on June 19, 2009

Beautiful table clothes, what a collections. I personally wouldn't mind the chickens roaming.

3. *b* said on June 19, 2009

Leave them out! Its very Duchess of Devonshire! http://www.poultryclub.org/Devonshire.htm which I appreciate is a very English reference, but she's a very cool lady, much like yourself. Leave them free to roam, it will make lovely photos.

xo

4. Simply Mel said on June 19, 2009

Oh YES, you must leave them out! What better fun than to accessorize an outdoor party with cute little chickens walking about!

Love the towels and your idea of placing them on the tables!

This is going to be the party of the season!

Enjoy!

5. Mary said on June 19, 2009

I think its cute but would your guests be scared of the chickens??

This post is reminding me that I need more table cloths

6. erin said on June 19, 2009

i say let them roam! who doesn't like to see a happy chicken!

7. Johanna said on June 19, 2009

Let them be free!

I love those tablecloths. I have been watching a huge lot of vintage hankerchiefs on ebay to use as napkins/favors for what has turned out to be my rustic barn wedding.. haha! Now I need to get my hands on some tablecloths too!

8. Andrea said on June 19, 2009

Leave the chickens out!
    What a lovely idea.

9. Vanessa Monet said on June 19, 2009

She totally goes with the setup. I've had chickens, and while I never had the dilemma of whether to coop them or let them roam during a shower, they do keep to their own business and I doubt they will get in the way. I think they complete the vibe of your rustic setting.
    And, if they do get to be a problem, you can always quickly shoo them inside, right?
    My vote: leave 'em out. =)

Have fun tonight…it looks great!

10. Kristen said on June 19, 2009

Oh please, PLEASE don't let the chickens roam! I am scared to death of chickens, or any type of bird for that matter (my best friend made me watch Hitchcock's "The Birds" when I was 5, and I've been traumatized ever since). If you're not scared of birds, you probably can't understand the irrational yet totally paralyzing fear that birds can instill. So if even ONE person at your party is scared of birds, it will be worth hiding them away because you have no idea how much more comfortable that person will be with those little claws and beaks at a safe distance.

11. mk said on June 19, 2009

I (also a first time commenter) vote for leaving them out too. But wonder if your guests might try to feed them? If so, they might develop behaviors that will make it difficult to leave them out in the future…

12. Reyna said on June 19, 2009

I love your cite blog, so I figure it is time I let my voice be heard. Especially when it comes to the important dilemma concerning the liberty of your chickens. The only reason I would see to put those cuties away was if they were super people friendly. As in, they would jump on your guests and tables. Seeing as how chickens are not normally so people happy, leave them out! Too cute!

13. elisabeth said on June 19, 2009

I've had backyard parties with my chickens free-ranging around and it's been fine. I haven't met a person who wasn't at least a bit delighted by chickens yet. And with the theme of your event – I think they would be a wonderful addition.

I'd say you need to watch them most before people come over. You don't want them on your tables ruining your lovely tablecloths. Once guests are at the tables the chickens probably won't be brave enough to be right in the midst of the action.

14. yes, please said on June 19, 2009

hi kristina! oh, i wish i could say let them roam. in theory i love chickens! but in reality – i'd be horribley afraid of them. like Kristen, i have this completely irrational fear of birds (yes, even the cute ones), and even with all the wine in the world I'd never be able to take my eyes off those things and relax. maybe you could leave them out and then if any fraidycats like myself arrive you can wrangle them up?
    have so much fun this weekend. i am dying to see what you've put together. will be picture perfect as always! xo

15. life according to celia... said on June 19, 2009

i say, let them roam! i went to a mediterranean restaurant once in north hollywood, of all places. anyway, it's kind of like an enclosed patio situation and they had like 5 or 6 chickens just hanging out and walking around. odd, considering l.a. health code standards are SO strict, but I was way into it! of course, i wouldn't have been able to order chicken, but i'm not a big fan of eating chicken anyway… bring on the pork!!

16. Leslie said on June 19, 2009

I have a feeling Brock is going to lose this one. :)

Your backyard looks awesome! You are undoubtedly a most excellent shower hostess.

17. tinatina said on June 19, 2009

let the chickens roam about! they are attack chickens are they?

18. Abbie said on June 19, 2009

I've been looking for vintage tablecloths on Ebay… for some reason, I don't find any as nice as the ones you've collected.

I think leave the chickens out. If anyone seems adverse to them, then you could put them away for the meal. It looks like it'll be fantastic!

19. Kristin said on June 19, 2009

I'd leave 'em out… it's not like you can't corral them back into the coop if there are any guests who have problems with them or if they start misbehaving. I'm sure they'll just keep to themselves, but their very presence add to the whole vibe.

Love the table linens, love the wheelbarrow… it's all wonderful!

20. tales from an oc cottage said on June 19, 2009

Oh, I think the chickens would be charming!!!!

m ^..^

21. east side bride said on June 19, 2009

yeah, city people think chickens look charming, but faced with em they are sometimes scared.

plus, do you have any kids coming? boys will chase and girls will be deathly afraid.

22. Kelly and Kelly said on June 19, 2009

I'd ask your sister-in-law and as long as she was okay with it then I'd totally leave them out!

23. Anonymous said on June 19, 2009

Leave them out. If they start acting up, you can put them away (or have your hubby chicken-sit)

24. my favorite and my best said on June 19, 2009

roam free chickens!!! roam FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!! lovely chickens. i am thinking about getting some of my own chickens. in fact any quick advice you can throw at me would be WELL appreciated.
    btw-tablecloths are fabulous. i am jealous of your reckless abandon with the ebizzle…

25. 100layercake said on June 19, 2009

Stina,
    I say maybe let one out to roam (for the barnyard vibe's sake)? Will the others be jealous though? (do chickens get jealous? :)
    That way if someone at the party gets uncomfortable then you can quickly scoop up the chick and send her back to her cage with the others. It might prove to be a bridal chicken chase otherwise! have fun!

*Amanda

26. lovelymorning said on June 20, 2009

Kay. so that's like a lot of roam frees, a few scared of bird folks and another few who are being like, rational and stuff.

I think I'll ask the bride what she thinks. I would hate to have a terrified guest, but I still kind of want them roaming about. I'm selfish sometimes, what else can I say?

I'll let you know how it turns out.

27. laura said on June 20, 2009

love everything, even the chickens, as long as they don't peck! ouch!

28. sk said on June 20, 2009

Oh, leave them out! They'll be the hit of your party. Love those tablecloths!

29. erin kate said on June 20, 2009

whenever we have people over to bbq i always leave the chickens out. they are so entertaining!

30. Secondstreetdesigns said on June 20, 2009

I had a similar vintage tablecloth addiction a few years ago. I love them! Cute ideas! Love the wheelbarrow. Your chickens are charming.

31. Sprouted Kitchen said on June 20, 2009

Let them roam!!! Completes the ambiance and will make conversation!

32. Anonymous said on June 20, 2009

Leave em' out! It would be a very nice touch, and they'll probably keep to themselves . . .

33. Kate@ Kids and Cocktails said on June 22, 2009

I too wish I could say leave them out, but I am not a huge fan of birds and can totally see somebody freaking out about them. Sorry! The tablecloths are fantastic and I love the idea of the wheelbarrow as a cooler. You are so fantastic.

34. Amanda said on June 22, 2009

(I know I am too late but ROAMING CHICKENS!!!!!!!)

(And also they are *lovely* tablecloths)

35. trishiekoh said on June 23, 2009

The table cloths are just so beautiful. Let the chickens roam..i think.

36. a Dish of Fun with a Side of Sass said on June 29, 2009

I'm obsessed with vintage linens. Don't put them away, they're gorge!

37. Megan said on June 30, 2009

If you decide to sell the tablecloths PLEASE email me, reduce, reuse, recycle!

38. Data Entry Professionals said on May 3, 2010

Tablecloth Wholesale, Fabrics and linens offers wholesale and retail linen buyers the products to satisfy your one-stop shopping needs. Shop for Table Linens Wholesale. From a great selection of Kitchen/Dining Towels, Tablecloths, Pure Linen, Place Mats, Cloth Napkins, Guest & Dish Towels, Table Runners and more at Everyday Low Wholesale/ Discounted Prices – Direct To The Public.