July 16, 2009

i sewed

And I swear it might have been the most satisfying thing I’ve done in a long while. My friend Deja and I took a class at The Urban Craft Center in Santa Monica (right behind the Peets on Main Street) and it was so fun.

Adding to the list of things I need

New sewing machine that does fancy stitches with the twist of a knob. I’m pretty sure I was more excited about our test stitches than the final product.

I made a pillow. Wheeeeee! I think I will make pillows for everyone for Christmas this year. Forget about jam and other canned goodies. 2009 is the year of the pillow. Unless I learn to make something else in the next few months.

Also, even if you are a proficient seamstress, they give classes in every sort of craft you can imagine. And they have a great little supply shop that sells all sorts of essentials and really cute fabric.

I even bought a few pieces. For “research” as I’m calling it. Poor Brock. He is such a good sport.

comments

1. Simply Mel said on July 16, 2009

The pillow is beautiful, and I love that fun assortment of stitching!

My grandmother taught me to sew, and I need to revive my love for it!

2. Rachel said on July 16, 2009

Oh, beautiful! Isn't sewing fun?

I started buying fabric long before I even had a sewing machine. I think I learned to sew as a justification to buy more fabric.

3. Melanie said on July 17, 2009

Beautiful! Is that nifty sewing machine available for anyone to use during their "studio" hours? I'd love to take it for a spin sometime, but I don't have the cash to buy one of my own.

4. Amanda said on July 17, 2009

When you make me a set of pillowcases, can they have that exact fancy-stitch-fun border on them in that exact bluuuuueeee?

Pleeeaaaase?
    I will babysit your chickens.

5. Kristin said on July 17, 2009

I love all the different test stitches you did! Super cool. I haven't turned on a sewing machine in about 10 years, but who knows, maybe I'll give it another whirl.

By the way, I see that you're reading the Julia Child book. I LOVED that book. Can't wait to see "julie & Julia" when it comes out, too!

6. Sara said on July 19, 2009

I can relate to how gratifying sewing can be. I just made some flag bunting for my sis's baby shower. Straight line, so easy and beautiful. And I'll be making bean bags for my nephew's birthday present with the leftover fabric. Someday I'll move on to more difficult things, but these projects are just right for me right now.

7. linnea paulina said on July 25, 2009

Those fancy stitches are great :o) Earlier in the year, I bought a fat quarter of that blue bird fabric… I haven't used it yet, though. I actually haven't sewed in a while. No excuse!

8. eva said on November 23, 2010

where did you buy that green birdy fabric?
    thanks