August 28, 2009

No, jcrew. Just no.

I’ve been with you for quite some time now and with each catalog I get in the mail (which is approx. one per week), I congratulate you for styling your apparel in a lovely and tempting way.

But this last one, there’s really no way to soften the blow here. It was not good. And I’m referring to the cover, in particular.

Chambray button down shirts OVER the white turtle neck wasn’t a good idea even at the peak of popularity sometime during the late 80s/early 90s. I’m sorry, but no amount of interesting lipstick, pretty models or strands of pearls are going to make this look work. And the sweater is just making it more absurd.

However to prove that I am generally pleased with your catalog, I give you these fine examples that I really like…

GAAAAH. The tights. I love the textured tights and mis-matched shoes. Especially that photo on the left. If I could buy cute shorts right now and/or could conceive of planning my outfits for fall, I’d definitely be heading this direction.

And such cute, simple wedding styling. I love the skinny belt on the bride. And I think I just like the colors on the right. But that’s fair, right?

Alas I am not currently shopping for new clothes. Which is actually great for the saving of monies, but bad for fall fashion morale.

comments

1. my favorite and my best said on August 28, 2009

she looks like kathryn hepburn!!! gorgeous. albeit not a realistic look unless you look like that model. otherwise i could see it with some tweed like trousers and a messy bun. i feel it.

2. lovelymorning said on August 28, 2009

but WITH the denim shirt???

i don't think khep wore denim shirts, though i am no expert.

3. Holly said on August 28, 2009

your shoes are on SALE!

sorry this isnt related to jcrew :)

4. lovelymorning said on August 28, 2009

Holly, you temptress.

And they are cheap. geez. How DOES a girl pass that up? They don't have my size left. sadly. But shopbop does. however shopbop is not AS discounted.

Someone go buy those shoes. Seriously. it's killing me.

5. Stylestance said on August 29, 2009

Looks cutely styled on the cover but would be dowdy IRL. Agree, the tights are fabulous!

6. Anonymous said on August 29, 2009

Here Here!

. . . made me LOL

7. 100layercake said on August 29, 2009

Stina, I agree! I thought the exact same thing (of course) when I got this catalog. It's already in the recycle bin. hmmmf.
    *amanda

8. Kate@ Kids and Cocktails said on August 29, 2009

She looks just like Kathryn Hepburn in that picture. I had to come see if anybody else made the comment. I wouldn't wear it, but I don't hate it on the beautiful skinny model.

Love the tights.

9. Anonymous said on August 29, 2009

I concur. And I'm glad to hear someone else feel the same. I was afraid I'd gone conservative and lame with my stylishness.

10. Rita Finn said on August 30, 2009

I had the same response to the cover … cotton turtleneck with pearls? But why? Some of the styling on the inside does make up for it, but it does bring back some bad fashion memories, doesn't it?

11. Katie Carter said on August 31, 2009

I started laughing to myself while reading this post b/c I was feeling the EXACT same way with the exact same pictures that you are talking about. (a white turtleneck….) i mean really!!! Hopefully they snap out of it and realize that orange lipstick and layered nonsense isn't going to cut it!! ;-)

12. Joslyn said on August 31, 2009

i'm with you on the denim shirt over turtleneck. no….just no.

13. Her name was Lola said on September 9, 2009

I am soo with you {re: chambray turtleneck cover combination}. Love this lovely {new-to-me} blog.

Cheers.