August 25, 2009

Things I didn’t get around to posting about

Even though I’ve been a big slacker as of late, it’s not that I haven’t been THINKING of posting. I have. See? look at all these pictures I took to share with you. I’m short on follow through at the moment… but I’m working on it. I promise.

We’ve been big into pizza making as of late. The Alice Waters dough recipe from The Art of Simple Food is perfection.

Favorite pizza of the season = Fig and gorgonzola with rosemary and thyme.

Oh baby. We made it again on sunday for my unlce’s birthday and added pancetta (i suppose not everyone is a vegetarian) and my family just about lost their minds. The problem with pizza is it’s never finished when it’s still light out so I can never get a good picture.

Also, garden tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, basil and fresh mozzarella. Plus jalapeños. Which are a very handy little plant to have out back. I haven’t had to buy a pepper in a very long time.

Figs! Which are coming in from our trees by the bushel full. Hence the fig pizza. The birds get most of them, but I do try to make use of them the best I can. Fig jam is next. I feel sorely cheated if I don’t get at least one batch in each season.

Aren’t they the most pretty how the ripen in rainbow order? These are one of my favorite varieties. I plant them every year without fail and they produce the most delicious little cherry tomatoes, no matter how much neglect they endure, every single year. They’re call currant tomatoes, presumably because of their tininess. And if you live in LA, you can buy seedlings at the Marina Del Rey Garden Center every spring.

Our tomato bounty from the backyard. Also the inspiration the tomato pizza mentioned above.

Then there’s the friendly patch of naked ladies that pop up every summer under the Mission fig tree. They’re so pretty and elegant. And fleeting. But maybe that’s what makes them special.

And my zinnia crop. I’m never going another season without planting flowers. They’re so happy back there.

These pretty peas are allegedly NOT black eyed peas. They are a more gourmet cousin… Pink-eyed peas. Eew. Kind of a sorry name. But truthfully they taste the same. And even more truthfully, I don’t think I like them all that much. They’re so… dry. I mean compared to all the other delicious beans out there. But they make for a pretty picture.

Finally, the gem of our summer crop. We somehow managed to plant Concord grapes. Whoa. This is the first year our grapes have matured into real fruit so we were anxious to see what they would taste like. We have regular Thompson type variety too, but the Concords are little jewels of sweetness.

There. That feels so much better! Now I’ve shared. Cleared my photo cue and I can move on to more regular blogging.

PS. I think there’s a teeny hint of fall in the light this morning. I’m almost excited.

comments

1. Kendra said on August 26, 2009

Yum! I'm so excited for the start of fig season! Definitely will try the pizza recipe. Sounds fantastic!

2. Holly said on August 26, 2009

woah @ rainbow order tomatoes, cutest garden photo!!

3. Marie said on August 26, 2009

Mmm, great photos and it all looks fabulous. Very jealous of the fresh produce you have.

4. Kelsey said on August 26, 2009

We also use Alice's recipe in the art of simple food! It is heaven! We grill our pizza and I would highly recommend trying it. Our favorite combo has been sauce + mozzerella + chopped swiss chard + orange zest and later topped with a balsamic reduction. We were inspired by a local restaurant – It's addictive.

5. Johanna said on August 26, 2009

That pizza sounds amazing! I will try it. I'm very jealous you have a fig tree.

Lovely garden goods you have there.

6. Kat said on August 26, 2009

I adore homemade pizza. We have a great recipe we like to use from America's Test Kitchen. Your photos are incredible!

7. Caroline said on August 26, 2009

I love all of your pictures!!!

8. sunny said on August 26, 2009

Jealous that you have Concord grapes! They are my absolute favorite and have been since we had them in our backyard when I was a child. Enjoy!

Oohh.and I'll have to try the pizza recipe from Alice Waters' book. Sounds tasty!

9. Local Okra said on August 26, 2009

oh my! the bounty of your garden is quite impressive! love those currant tomatoes. and the naked ladies…sigh.

we had figs galore here in Athens about a month ago and i did a fig, goat cheese, rosemary, and caramelized onion pizza (check my blog!).

10. Simply Mel said on August 26, 2009

Love your new header!

And the fig pizza sounds divine! I must add the new Alice Waters book to my wish list.

11. fresh365 said on August 26, 2009

I love seeing all the gorgeous bounty from your garden. That pizza sounds so good!

12. kristine said on August 26, 2009

Love, love, love the pictures. We, too, have pizza ALL THE TIME, and are utilizing every bit of our garden. For us it's eggplant. Our fig tree is just a baby, but you make me wish she would grow up very soon! And grapes? You're my inspiration! ; )

13. Luisa said on August 26, 2009

I love all your pictures! You've inspired me to make my own pizza base from scratch, I might do it this weekend! PS. Love your new header too!!!

14. SHOKOOFEH said on August 27, 2009

oh these are divine!
    your blog is absolutely inspiring to me because lately I am really trying to be closer to nature!

thank you so much and please blog more!

15. The Design Boards said on August 27, 2009

Wow, that all looks so delicious!!

16. kitchendoor said on August 27, 2009

Those all look delicious–and I'm all for a big photo post now and then. Yum.

17. Kristin said on August 27, 2009

those pictures are beautiful! I envy the fig tree… I don't think we can grow them here in Chicago (not that I've actually tried), but every time I think of figs, it takes me right back to my honeymoon in Italy when I ate them every morning for breakfast.

(I'm secretlly ready for fall, too. It's my favorite season!)

18. Amanda said on August 27, 2009

Pizza! Peas! Mmmmmmm.

19. c said on August 27, 2009

Your garden must be amazing. I have tried growing some new things this year and had a pretty successful run of it until the birds had their way with it. Love the pictures!

20. Michelle May said on August 28, 2009

your photos just kick butt.

21. Anonymous said on November 21, 2009

[b]Контроллер телефона с возможностью скачивать смс.[/b]
    [url=http://soblazni-ee.ru/][img]http://a.imagehost.org/0328/contralir.jpg[/img][/url]
    Теперь любой человек имеет возможность читать чужие смс и смотреть журнал звонков за последние 3 месяца, даже если их удалили с телефона.
    Проверьте своего любимого или любимую. Как говорится – доверяй, но проверяй.
    Ссылка на [url=http://soblazni-ee.ru/]ПРОЕКТ[/url] http://soblazni-ee.ru/

22. LargyDicratry said on May 23, 2012

Medicine Safety Worksheets For Kindergarten Thom Lane Drug Charges Doctors and patients should work closely together to taper doses to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Klonopin for sale. http://www.123freescreensavers.com/ – klonopin price Hyperekplexia, restless legs syndrome, and parasomnia are also successfully treated with Klonopin. Purchase Klonopin at low price. Doctors will also prescribe Klopin for Bruxism, rapid eye movement behavior disorder, and more.