September 16, 2009

last minute card making

Here’s how my day has been starting for the last few mornings. 6:00 – que the low but incredibly annoying squawks coming from the eglu. Curse chickens and their suspiciously reptilian ancestors.

Get out of bed, in underwear stumble outside to make sure there’s not a cat or a hawk perched on top of the coop. Cat or hawk is a good thing, because once you chase it away, they shut up and you can go back to sleep.

No cat or hawk. Instead just ornery birds. Sigh.

Stumble back inside and start coffee maker.

This morning I had a surprising squirt of inspiration (after first sip of coffee) and decided to make a card (even though I bought one yesterday) for Brock’s brother’s wedding on Saturday. HOW FUN.

I don’t care what anyone says, security envelopes and bunting flags are still cute. And they will continue to be cute until the end of time. Along with vintage mason jars.

I haven’t quite decided how to finish the card. Or if I’ll actually give it to them. It doesn’t look like their wedding at all, which is black tie and fancy and elegant and things. But fun morning project nonetheless.

comments

1. Rachel Dangerfield said on September 16, 2009

I. Love. This. I have absolutely nothing intelligent or insightful to say about it, because I simply love it too much. Thanks for sharing!

2. mandiegirl said on September 16, 2009

That is SO cute and inspiring! I may just have to copy you, but I'll let you know and give you credit for sure! I just LOVE it!

3. Tara said on September 16, 2009

What a sweet, lovely card! I love the bunting. Did you cut the little flags using scissors or by using a punch? They are so perfectly cut!

4. {lisa} said on September 16, 2009

Wow! What time do you have to be at work in the morning? I wish had time to create such lovely projects…

5. That Girl said on September 16, 2009

Love.

Have to say I'm quite jealous that I don't suffer from 'squirts of inspiration' like this in the mornings.

6. Allison said on September 16, 2009

if it's too casual for the wedding you can send it to me instead :)

alas, i also don't get squirts of inspiration (or get out of bed at a decent hour) so I rarely do projects on a whim… lovely thought

7. Sealicious said on September 16, 2009

They came out so well!

8. Joslyn said on September 16, 2009

LOVE these…love.

man security envelopes rock!

9. lovelymorning said on September 16, 2009

Thanks you guys! It's amazing what can happen with a few hours early in the morning.

tara – I just cut them out by hand. They don't all match, but it's kind of hard to tell with all the different patterns and such.

lisa- when your chickens wake you up at 6, you have more time than you think! unless you have to be at work early. I don't go in until 9:30-ish.

joslyn – they do rock! don't they? These were just lying around in our "mail to deal with" pile this morning. But something tells me your house is more organized than mine!

Also, update. I think I'm going to turn it into a baby card. It's more baby, don't you think? Melanie and Sky can have the awesome card I picked out for them already.

10. brooke said on September 17, 2009

what a creative idea! this card is adorable!!!! and i bet you had fun making it to. im with you…bunting flags and vintage mason jars will always be in!

11. MikellSloan said on September 17, 2009

Adorable. Very creatively productive of you.
    You voiced perfectly the reason my husband thinks I might not be ready for chickens (well, aside from the fact that we live in an apartment at the moment)–he thinks the noise they make will drive me batty. This is quite possible.

12. Amy@OldSweetSong said on September 17, 2009

Nicely done. I love it and agree with you 100%! Also always cute no matter how overused: baker's twine, vintage typewriters and 'keep calm and cary on' posters.

13. livi said on September 17, 2009

i LOVE LOVE this! this is the cutest card i have seen in a long time. i want to make one!

14. east side bride said on September 22, 2009

I am with you. Who said mason jars were tired??

15. thislovelycity said on September 23, 2009

It's so darling! Yay for inspiration! xo.