September 25, 2009

when gardens go neglected

First, thanks so much everyone for your hearty congrats! New adventures are always fun. Especially when they involve making babies.

Next, as further proof that things this summer have been very distracted, the vegetable garden I was so excited about has seen better, more tended days. But I think this might be the weekend to clean and mulch and sew fall seeds.

Look what I found this morning among the leaning zinnias:

Those are bigger than they look. And the green one had flowering tops ~3 ft tall. Eek.

Luckily radish tops rank right up there with watermelon rinds and overripe tomatoes when it comes to chicken food. I haven’t figured out what it is, but they go absolutely crazy for these particular greens.

The breakfast radishes went straight into the coop, but the watermelon radish, oh lovely dear fall member of the Brassica family, had to come inside. I’m hoping it’s still edible. I’ve definitely found myself coming home from the farmer’s market with a bag full of them this big.

So pretty. And spicy and delicious.

And just because we haven’t had a chicken picture in a while…

Happy friday, yo.

comments

1. bigBANG studio said on September 25, 2009

Yay! Hope you have a restful, wonderful weekend w/ your man! Just wondering, but what do you do with that HEAVENLY, beautiful watermelon radish? I love radishes in a salad but am just wondering if you have some magical way of preparing them that I don't know about that might change my life. And I love the chicken. Clearly:)

2. {lovely little things} said on September 26, 2009

I need to plant a garden, even if it's neglected it's at least there!

Is that a fig? Looks ripe and ready to eat!

3. Courtney said on September 26, 2009

The watermelon radish is beautiful! I've never seen one in real life. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for one.

4. seesaw designs said on September 28, 2009

LOVE those radishes – so yummy (and beautiful to look at)

5. g https://tinyurl.com/rsacwgxy said on June 21, 2020

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this website, because i want enjoyment, as this this web page conations truly pleasant funny stuff too.

6. cbd oil that works 2020 said on June 27, 2020

I every time emailed this web site post page to all my contacts, for the
    reason that if like to read it after that my contacts will too.

7. cbd oil that works 2020 said on June 27, 2020

Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.

8. cbd oil that works 2020 said on June 27, 2020

Hey! This post couldn’t be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
    He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him.
    Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank
    you for sharing!

9. cbd oil that works 2020 said on June 28, 2020

Undeniably imagine that which you said. Your favourite justification appeared to be on the web the simplest thing to be
    mindful of. I say to you, I definitely get irked whilst people consider worries that they just don’t
    understand about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest and outlined
    out the entire thing without having side-effects , folks can take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks