October 19, 2009

a rocker

I was highly unproductive this weekend, in terms of having anything interesting to show yous, but sometimes it goes like that. I’m embracing my time to be unproductive while I can.

We did do like 1 million errands though, which always feels nice. And made a grand master list of all the things we want to get done pre-baby.

And I found our rocking chair.

The Risom Rocker from DWR. yayyy.

I’m of the belief that one should not fill one’s house with things for baby that you wouldn’t like to have in your house if you didn’t have baby (stroller and crib and some other necessities notwithstanding). Especially when it comes to plastic things, but that’s a different topic altogether. I know we need a rocker, but I just cannot stomach one of those huge poofy lazy-boy-for-moms upholstered gliders. Apologies to anyone who has and loves theirs, I’m sure they’re terrifically functional, but they make me want to throw up a little. If we’re going to buy a rocking chair, I want it to be a chair that we will enjoy in our home forever, not just while I’m nursing 12 hours a day. Naive? Probably, but let me exist in my fantasy world while I can.

It’s expensive, and we might not end up getting it. But I’d rather spend a little more on a beautiful piece of furniture that we will keep for always. Plus I haven’t even tested it out yet. Of our 1 million errands, none took us past a DWR. So that is a project for this week. Maybe the floor model with be on sale.

We’re going to end up blowing our entire baby budget on our rocker and our stroller, but really, aside from diapers and a breast pump, what more do we need for the first 6 months?

Also, I purchased my first official piece of maternity apparel. Milestone! I am so thankful that I live in the age of premium denim. Those poor moms who had to come before us were forced to wear hideous jeans throughout their entire pregnancy. And it turns out maternity jeans are super comfy! Perfect for airplane rides! I think everyone should have a pair. They’re like denim sweats.

comments

1. Emily said on October 19, 2009

That rocker is absolutely beautiful! We spent a quite a bit on our rocker as well, but it's been worth every penny… buy that gorgeous rocker, I say!

2. Kate@ Kids and Cocktails said on October 19, 2009

We had a "glider" with our first and I never sat in it. Thank goodness I only paid $99 for it. I fed the girl out on the couch, so I never needed it. That being said, I would LOVE to have that rocker now that we're trying for our 2nd. It looks totally relaxing!

3. Rachel said on October 19, 2009

These are gorgeous choices! You might also spend some time poking around in thrift stores. Some of the vintage wooden rockers are lovely, although they aren't quite as modern looking.

4. samiya said on October 19, 2009

what a beautiful and absolutely chic rocker.. congratulations for the news.. its all extremely exciting.. and nerve wrecking.. you seem to be doing good by the way..

i love your pictures.. how do you take them.. they are so vivid adn clear.. would you like to share some tips and advice.. adn i love your blog name.. Lovely Morning.. there is nothing more enchanting in this world than a gorgeous sunny bright lovely morning to wake up to..

5. Meg said on October 19, 2009

Baby clothes. But one shower and your pretty much set in that department, right?

6. stephanie said on October 19, 2009

Oooh, I love that rocker! Very, very nice.

7. Simply Mel said on October 19, 2009

Hilarious! We were the exact same way when it came to a rocker…in fact, we never could find one, so I never had one for my little one. It turned out to be okay since she was just happy in my arms sans any rocking. The short story – we fell in love with the Don-Do rocker, once we priced it, $10K, and it was hand made to order in Italy!

Needless to say, all you need is a loving heart, to welcoming arms, and lots of patience and understanding!

Our little girl is now 20 months, and she has never had ONE plastic toy, our home is free of all the bright colored, head-ache inducing swings, chairs, toys, etc. We did it 'old school' – just love, warmth, and a cozy home. And amazingly (to all those who said we needed to register for all that 'crap' at the baby stores0, we never needed it or felt like we missed out on anything, she is beyond happy, strong, creative and resourceful and loves being outdoors in nature discovering all the 'toys' it offers.

8. TK said on October 19, 2009

Totally form over funtion or the other way around! You will have that piece forever, think investment for the house. LOVE.

9. Secondstreetdesigns said on October 20, 2009

I love the rocker- and I agree- you can still have good taste with a baby in the house! I actually used a cool old wooden rocker.

10. this must be the place blog said on October 22, 2009

I love a chic rocker! so hard to find. thanks for sharing!!

11. ross said on October 28, 2009

I found the best collections of rocking chairs on spacify.com

12. things to text a girl you like said on November 11, 2014

You wouldn’t be where you are now if you did that, right.
    In fact, this is one of the most common reasons why relationships
    fail. Remember, you are trying to hook up with this girl, not audit
    her taxes.

13. โปรแกรมบัญชี said on December 1, 2014

Normally I do not learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very
    forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me.
    Thank you, very great post.

14. game servers said on December 11, 2014

* Application hosting – Using your account to host FTP or Web servers.
    Finally, Aion introduces you to a dizzying “Pv – Pv – E” situation :
    Player vs. Detailed product line: Include all types of web design products in your business portfolio.