October 13, 2009

weekend things

Finally made it to Intelligentsia in Venice. We’re a little slow on the uptake. It’s so modern and clean and you get your own barista who makes only your drinks when you order. And their pastries are not only edible, they’re quite delicious.

Other than that, we laid low. Found these late season peaches at the market, which were pretty tasty though different from their juicy summer brothers.

I napped and read on the couch quite a bit and then puttered around in the kitchen on Sunday afternoon. I find Sundays to be good days to do fussy things like making stock and segmenting oranges and seeding pomegranates. Things you just don’t want to tackle come dinner time during the week. And it made the house feel so cozy and fall-like. And then made me incredibly sad that we don’t have a fireplace or dining room. A fireplace and dining room would certainly make all of our troubles disappear.

Stock for a few soups to try this week (so prepared!)

And salad parts for dinner at our neighbors’ house on Sunday evening. (Hi Ruth and David!) Isn’t that so communal and cute? We love our ‘hood.

Now if it would only rain. The clouds have been looming, but I’m afraid they might blow over. Please rain please rain please rain.

comments

1. Molly Jean said on October 13, 2009

i have GOT to stop reading your blog before dinner…it makes me droooool.

2. betty said on October 13, 2009

Ooh! Looks like you got your wish today – lots of rain :) I seed pomegranites on Sunday's too. No patience for that stuff during the week!

3. Desiree said on October 13, 2009

Intelligentsia is such a great addition to Abott Kinney! Their pastries are indeed delicious, perhaps because they come from the secret off site bakery of Comme Ca! Yummy!

4. Amanda Mae said on October 13, 2009

beautiful series of photos. I have yet to go to intelligentsia, but its on my list. Their pastries DO look good… too often coffee shops have bad pastries, whats up with that!?

5. Caroline said on October 13, 2009

Sounds like an amazing weekend and that coffee mmmmm!!! Love your photos.. so crisp!!! Have a lovely, lovely week!!!

6. lovelymorning said on October 13, 2009

Desiree – OHHHHHHH. that's why they're so tasty. I think I'd heard that from someone but had totally forgotten. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda Mae- I totally agree. Why do all coffee shops insist on following the starbucks model of mediocrity when it comes to baked goods? Peets used to have delicious local pastries (at least in LA) but they changed their supplier or something because now they're just tolerable. So sad.

And for the record, it started raining like 3 minutes after I published this post. yay.

7. Paisley Petunia said on October 15, 2009

The almond croissant at Intelligentsia is insane! Must try it. Such good people watching too.

8. Sara said on October 16, 2009

yum, those muffins! so cute that you have dinner with your neighbors. love that. someday i will do that when my house is larger than a 4 ft cube.

9. Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE said on October 16, 2009

wow your pictures are just amazing, I love the blog, so refreshing and well done, I am a new follower of yours and would love you to come visit..

10. kitchendoor said on October 19, 2009

Oh, yum. Your photos are always so delicious.

11. hospitality fabrics said on October 20, 2009

Oh so yummy. I now felt very hungry. Nice photos!!!