January 27, 2010

projects with fabric

SUCH a welcome break from pixels, I have to say.

First, so happy so many of your liked Away We Go too! I have another lesser known recommendation you might like: The Go-Getter. Add it to your queue.

Now then.

Back in the beginning of the year when I first became a seamstress (HAAAAA), I found myself at the UCC perusing their books on sewing. I was supposed to be walking before breakfast while Brock was running, but shopping and latte sounded better at the time. And I ended up with 2 lovely books by Lotta Jansdotter.

Simple Sewing and Simple Sewing for Baby (obviously).

So excited about these books. So excited that I found myself buying fabric remnants on Lotta’s site approximately 3 hours after I purchased them.

But I did actually make things from my scraps!

Coasters! I am currently restricted to things of the rectangular persuasion, but I am getting better.

Draft Snake! I went three dimensional over the weekend. Very satisfying. But we have approximately 10 old leaky windows in our house and only one snake to block the drafts. It moves from window to window.

Okay, actually I made a pillow over Christmas while I was on my bunting kick. So I’ve don’t 3-D before. But still. I can’t believe how satisfying it is to make things. Even though they are mostly squares.

I have all sorts of plans for making baby bloomers and things when we find out what kind of baby we have.

Only two more days of work at the office. Then I can indulge my nesting impulses to the max.

comments

1. Marie said on January 27, 2010

I keep thinking about sewing. The more I read about other people doing it the more I want to do it. Would love to hear more about your projects. And good luck!

2. // S said on January 27, 2010

Are you pregnant??
    I've been out of the blogging loop for a few months and must have missed this!!
    Congrats!!!

3. CC said on January 27, 2010

Draft snake! SUCH a cute idea! I'd buy that in about 5 seconds if I could find them for sale somewhere…or I guess I could learn to sew them myself…

4. Char said on January 27, 2010

cute!!! love the combinations of colors

5. The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said on January 27, 2010

So very charming and practical. A lovely morning, afternoon and evening to you my dear.
    Warm regards,
    Simone

6. Rachel said on January 27, 2010

Your projects look great! Sewing is so addictive.

7. Two Bloggers said on January 27, 2010

I'm curious to find out what you filled the Draft snake with. I've been trying to find something like that and I think I might just make it. Any tips?

8. stephanie said on January 28, 2010

Simple Sewing is what got me started sewing 2 years ago. I love that book. I have made so many things from that book and I love them all. Good luck with the baby things!

9. Johanna said on January 28, 2010

I love the fabric you've chosen. I could definitely use a few of those around the house. Brrr!

10. Brigitta Ryan {duo} said on January 29, 2010

hey, such a great use of scraps.

11. Jud and Shannon said on February 3, 2010

I stalk your blog weekly, and LOVE all your projects! especially the cooking and gardening and decorating and sewing ones. I think I will make myself a draft snake. or lots.

Also, I saw a link to these, and I thought you might like a peek, seeing that you are about to have a baby!

enjoy!

12. sunny said on February 3, 2010

Those coasters are adorable!! Hope you have fun :)