March 16, 2010

the weekend/last 5 days

Weekend, weekday… they all kind of blur together into a patchwork of semi sleep right now. And sometimes I just can’t/don’t want to get to the computer. I’m reminding myself that it’s okay if I don’t check my email every day. And that what I’m supposed to be doing right now is spending time with my baby, letting him be naked on a blanket in the backyard, shower and sleep when he’s sleeping and wash diapers as often as possible. It’s a nice break from what my life has been up until this point.

We’re still in the early stages of venturing out of the house, not longer than an hour or two at a time, and we haven’t attempted to eat a meal out yet. But we have officially taken advantage of all that take out has to offer. Including AXE‘s 9 grain pancake mix that you can buy by the quart on weekend mornings. It’s like eating out at home!

I’m attempting to decode the 9 grains so I can make it myself. I’ve only identified 6 so far.

Good.

I made the scones myself because now that I’ve been spoiled with a few batches from Melanie, I realize that I can never eat the ones from the actual bakery again. They are so much better when you make them at home. I froze a dozen so I can treat myself whenever I please.

Someone had a bath,

which resulted in a mohawk. Cannot resist posting pictures. He is my full time DIY project at the moment.

And we celebrated the first eve of daylight savings with cold lemony Hoegaarden and Stacy’s pita chips. 2 perfect foods if you ask me.

I’m working on my birth story, for those of you who are curious. Initially I wanted to write it down for myself, just so I wouldn’t forget all the unbelievable little details, but then I decided I should post it. Everyone else does after all. And I found other people’s births extraordinarily fascinating as I moved closer to my own.

I think someone’s about to wake up from the morning nap. Bye for now.

comments

1. Fern and Feather said on March 16, 2010

this post makes me happy. It totally takes me back to the first few days/weeks of Henry. There was something so magical about the 'family time' that was so new. We called that time our 'babymoon'. enjoy.

2. Caroline said on March 16, 2010

Those pancakes look heavenly, and your little man is adorable. I love how your photos are so refreshing!! Much love to you! xo

3. style-for-style said on March 16, 2010

Can't wait to hear how your little one made it into your arms.

4. jessica said on March 16, 2010

babies with mohawks get me every time. too cute. oh and i just tried to call axe to find out pricing on the pancake mix but they are closed. would you mind telling me how much it is?

5. lovelymorning said on March 16, 2010

hi jessica – almost embarrassed to admit how much their pancake mix is… but we were desperate for 'cakes! $18/quart. yikes. And sometimes if you call they'll tell you they don't sell it. But if you walk in on the weekend, they seem to be happy to part with a bit.

(ps. they're closed monday and tuesday).

6. jora said on March 16, 2010

Yay! I was wondering if you'd do a birth story (they're not for eveyone I guess….) And I love those pancakes — we tried them when we were up there last on your recommendation!

7. jessica said on March 16, 2010

you know, when it comes to a good pancake, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. hopefully you will crack the 9 grain code and we can all make them at home! thanks for the info.

8. Helena - A Diary of Lovely said on March 16, 2010

what a beauty, bless him
    and yummy pancakes!

9. Reyna said on March 16, 2010

Um I love the pictures of your baby! I don't know how you have all this self control and only post a few. I will most definitely drive everyone nuts when I have a child because my blog will be taken over by baby. Anyways, those pancakes look awesome! Kinda like you.

10. alyson. said on March 16, 2010

omg… those pancakes, that hair!

11. Chey can cook! (and more) said on March 16, 2010

the pancakes, your baby boy, just the little details you've provided us so far are beautiful! cant wait for more!

12. Char said on March 17, 2010

he is just so adorable. what a wonderful time in your life.

13. pamwares said on March 17, 2010

how cute! you need to change your…mom to be…to mom! no more to be!

btw…yummy choice of spring time beer…with a dash of lemon!

14. The Displaced Baker said on March 17, 2010

Those pancakes look soo good! And the mohawk is too cute :

15. B. said on March 17, 2010

Yum! Hoegarten!

16. Sealicious said on March 17, 2010

Just like for all of your other projects, I LOVE all the photos of your new "DIY" adventure, keep them coming!! And congratulations!

17. Mary said on March 17, 2010

Oh, he is so adorable!

Can't wait to hear the birth story. I am not pregnant and don't have any kids but I love reading them :)

18. Allison said on March 17, 2010

Yes, please share your birth story! I love hearing about the experience in preparation for my own big day – 16 weeks to go!

Baby D is precious!

19. Taylor said on March 17, 2010

YAY! I am so happy to hear that everything is going so well! Those pancakes look to DIE FOR! Keep on investigating ;)

I laughed outloud when you mentioned baby as your current DIY, and yes he totally deserves to be!

Can't wait to hear more stories and see those pictures!

20. lisa said on March 17, 2010

I have two bottles of Hoegarten in my fridge now and have never tried it. That will soon be changing. God Bless that beautiful child.

21. nicole said on March 17, 2010

Mmm, I want those pancakes, like, right now. Lurve that mohawk. He is a little blonde dream. Congrats, mama! xo.

22. Paisley Petunia said on March 17, 2010

He is just the sweetest thing! I love all that blonde hair.
    I was at Axe on Saturday and our table split the 9 grain. I might actually prefer it at home because it was a little gooey in the middle since they make it one large flapjack.
    Enjoy your days with the baby.

23. Meg said on March 17, 2010

You know, it's funny. Normally I'm not a fan of the over-share, and am very "protect the personal." But I adore birth stories. I think they make us all braver. There is so much mystery and fear surrounding parenthood and esp birth… it's nice when people shine light on it.

Hanging out with baby. Aw….

24. Sara E. Cotner said on March 17, 2010

Thanks for the update, Kristina! Crossing my fingers that you crack the pancake code…By the way, do you have conception/pregnancy blogs to recommend?

25. supergirl said on March 17, 2010

I love visiting your blog. It's refreshing! :)

26. Sara said on March 18, 2010

ha ilove that you are dissecting the pancake mix. he is so cute! what great hair!

27. molly said on March 19, 2010

I had to look twice, then laugh out loud, at that strainer (been there, done that!). Then I had to smile ear to ear over that sweet little dumpling. I'd lost track of this space for a while, since the pre-babe, nursery-decorating days. A belated, bellowing congratulations.

28. Peacock Feathers and Diamond Rings said on March 22, 2010

I'm not normally a fan of the birth stories either. Yet I am looking forward to hearing about yours.

And I think I must visit California soon. Those pancakes look delicious. Perhaps if you ever crack the recipe you could post it to share?

(and baby D is adorable. congratulations)

29. {quixotic.elizabeth} said on March 25, 2010

I'm so excited to hear your birth story (for you little one!). In my family no one ever wrote or told birth stories but when I met my husband I learned about his mother's tradition of telling her children's birth story every year on their birthday. I've fallen in love with the whole concept and have been looking forward to the day when I can write out and "memorialize" in a small way the birth stories for my own children.

30. {quixotic.elizabeth} said on March 25, 2010