April 23, 2010

chihuly installation at the Salk

My dad took a bunch of beautiful photos of the Dale Chihuly installation in place at the Salk Institute right now. The Salk is definitely one of the most noteworthy (and unbelievably beautiful) architectural properties in San Diego. It was designed in 1959 by Louis Kahn (midcentury!) and is constructed entirely of concrete, with wood details (I think teak if I remember correctly), marble, and water. My mom works there so she gets to walk into the expansive courtyard every morning on the way up to her lab. Nice workplace vibe, no?

I’m quite fond of Chihuly’s seaforms, but this is all nice too. Especially that old boat. Mmm. Old + new always looks good together.

Thanks for the photos, dad! And hope you all have a pretty spring weekend.

comments

1. Cordelia said on April 23, 2010

What a wonderful place to work! Have you seen the documentary "My Architect" by Kahn's son? It's an interesting portrayal of such an innovative designer.

2. jamie said on April 23, 2010

wow! i heard about the installation, had no idea it was so big! thanks for sharing. how cool your mom works there. and, it *is* teak. that is why it has the lovely greyish patina now. siiiiggghhhh.

3. little miss said on April 23, 2010

oh my goodness – matt and I visited the salk while we were out west and were determined to encourage our future unknown children to become scientists and work there. you mother is one lucky lady!

it's such a wonderful, wonderful place. one of my favs.

have you been to one of the symphonies they hold there? or do tour guides (oh yes, they have those, and yes, we were all architects the day we went) just taunt us with the perfect idea of watching the sunset, picnic-ing, and listening to a symphony?

anyways – quite the installation!

4. Stacy (Little Blue Hen) said on April 24, 2010

Too funny — I literally just got home from seeing this with a friend who works at the Salk. It's lovely lit up at night, too. Now to download the photos from my camera!

5. jora said on April 24, 2010

I was going to mention "My Architect" to you as well. We just saw it a couple of months ago. Very compelling.

6. Katie said on April 24, 2010

that is too cool! i love the boat and colorful spheres :-) Happy weekend!!!!!!

7. A.Mountain.Bride said on April 25, 2010

i did my senior thesis research on Chihuly for my art history degree in college – seeing his work is like visiting with an old friend.

he's wonderful.

8. {lovely little things} said on April 25, 2010

Wow, I've never heard of this installation, but it looks pretty cool! I love Chihuly's work.

9. Fern and Feather said on April 26, 2010

oh I am so excited to know about this… Ross and I will have to go this weekend! thanks for the tip.

10. Teresa said on April 28, 2010

Gorgeous. Love that huge sunflower!

11. Laura Loo said on May 15, 2010

Wow!! That is so pretty. I love those eggs. and the last picture is very pretty too.