April 19, 2010

lunch and other things to eat

Cooking hasn’t been going that well around here yet, but every once in a while I have some time in the kitchen. This was dinner last night:

And it’s also lunch today. This is one of my favorite ways to eat. Big bowl and a bunch of different things piled together. Last night we had simple salt and pepper tofu, roasted butternut squash with thyme (SADLY no garlic for Dashiell’s sake), quinoa, greens and avo, topped with marcona almonds and yummy olive oil. It’s actually just as good cold. Nearly.

I’m trying to stick to only one avocado a day. One is plenty, I tell myself. But they are so delicious and I buy so many at the farmer’s market that if I eat one for lunch it’s hard to resist another for dinner. HALF should be fine for each meal. Must remember that. Also, the Heath pasta bowls are my favorite part of our dinnerware. They are perfect for everything.

Also of note, a lovely grated beet and carrot salad I’ve been making for a few years from Chocolate & Zucchini. Do not attempt without a cuisinart + grater attachment.

Loads of Hefe-Weiss being consumed in our home. I DESERVE one at the end of the day. I do. There are many yummy options. Here are two (empty) faves:

And a new snack I can’t live without:

Perfectly toasty almonds and raisins sprinkled with sea salt. Just try it, You will love. It’s like very upscale, but insanely simple gorp. Laura made it while she was out and now I must have a bowl at the ready at all times.

So that’s where things stand in this kitchen. I may have been a bit over zealous at the farmer’s market yesterday. Not sure exactly how I’m going to use all the produce I came home with, but we’ll see. At least none of it will give my baby gas. Except maybe the english flowering broccoli? BUT IT WAS TOO BEAUTIFUL TO RESIST. I will show you when I use it.

comments

1. Caroline said on April 19, 2010

Oh I will have to try that almond snack. I love your photos. xo

2. Simply Mel said on April 19, 2010

I'm completely drooling over the bowl of quinoa goodness!

3. olivia rae said on April 19, 2010

I'm drooling too.. I like to eat the way you do – big bowls of fresh, healthy, delicious goodness. I want to recreate this dish!

4. The French said on April 19, 2010

Is it bad to have more than one avocado a day? If it is, I don't want to know about it. I love them so much my dude thinks I might run off with one:) Seriously. They slay me. I say go for it:)

5. Katie said on April 19, 2010

your salad looks perfectly yummy–and that little mixture of almonds and raisins (and salt)…sounds like heaven. you just reminded me to get more avo!!!!

6. Teresa said on April 20, 2010

Looks amazing. That bowl of treats is divine!

7. Amanda Mae said on April 20, 2010

I completely understand the avocado thing! I fight it EVERYDAY! … and I'm pregnant and was told by my midwife to watch my weight gain!! EK! But they are SO GOOD and so GOOD for you!

… ps… I made that carrot beet salad tonight… SO GOOD!!

8. Rosalind治男Garney火吟 said on April 20, 2010
  9. Jujube said on April 20, 2010

Oh I do have to try your sea salt almond snack.
    I still have difficulties to have a all vege meal every day. I still crave for meat…

But I insist on white meat only

10. Anna/Quilted Giraffe said on April 20, 2010

That one-bowl meal looks SO delicious! I shall have to try to replicate it for dinner this week!

11. Char said on April 20, 2010

oh how i love gorp!! yum

12. bigBANG studio said on April 20, 2010

Ok, very, very impressive kitchenwerk, whether you are saddled with a newborn or not.

Looking forward to the flowering broccoli creation. The broccolini in the desert flowers as soon as the temps rise during these warmer spring days, so it is usually unintentionally floral by the time it makes it to the farmer's mkt. We steam it for one minute, add a tiny bit of rice vinegar, cracked pepper, and meyer lemon juice. Beautiful & DELISH.

13. carolina postcard said on April 22, 2010

Yes, you SO deserve a little brew at the end of the day! And until I can have one too… I'm going to whip up your little almond snack. Looks delish!

14. Amanda said on April 26, 2010

I cannot stop eating avocados. It is very ridiculous.

15. curiosities by nicole leigh smith said on April 27, 2010

Wow. Your dinner looked amazing! My favorite meals are usually thrown together in a big bamboo bowl, and eaten with avocado ;)

16. Sara said on May 6, 2010

yes! i love when all sorts of goodies are in one big bowl too! Its the best of so many kinds of worlds.