May 14, 2010

a few things for friday

Beer traps really do work.

They’re supposed to catch slugs, but in one night I ended up with about 100 earwigs and 1 slug. Earwigs are the bane of my gardening existence. (See the teeny arugula sprouts on the right? Saved!) Also those are eggshells, which are supposed to deter slugs too. Jury still out on that one.

Lentils look like teeny snow peas when they’re on the plant. Cute.

Chioggia beets are delicious, and more so when marinated in rosemary, olive oil, and balsamic and then roasted.

My son is sometimes very serious. Especially when watching the Lakers with his dad. Brock is teaching him to be a sports enthusiast at an early age.

Happy weekend!

Hope you’re all up to something excellent. I’m getting a facial from Melanie’s friend Juliana. She’s the best. If you’re in west LA, definitely try her next time you’re in need.

comments

1. lisa said on May 14, 2010

Ah, it's so precious to hear you say, 'my son'. I just about died. (so sweet!)
    the beets look yummy!

2. nicole said on May 14, 2010

Aww, what a handsome little fellow!

3. Char said on May 14, 2010

I need to try the beer thing – the slugs are destroying my dahlias

4. Meghan said on May 14, 2010

LENTILS??? Wow.

5. Law of Attraction said on May 14, 2010

I love it when babies are very serious. I always imagine that they are putting a ton of energy into their next growth step.

6. The French said on May 14, 2010

Love the beer trap! I don't have a garden but there's always little bugs coming out of the soil in my plants when I water them. And the aphids! Ahhh! Any tips for those little suckers?

Have a great weekend:)

7. 0308MathewP_Thurlow said on May 14, 2010

世間是非,要如水泥地般水過則乾。...............................................................

8. carrie said on May 14, 2010

Oh. My . Goodness. He is so cute.

9. bigBANG studio said on May 14, 2010

Baby Dash is growing up FAST! And he's SO. HANDSOME.

And earwigs = so gross. I hate those things. Spiders, snakes, etc. no problem, but earwigs and centipedes I find most unsavory. And although I still haven't experienced spiritual enlightenment brought on by beets (am I the only one?) yours are indeed beautiful. Happy weekend, K!

10. Kelly G. said on May 14, 2010

I hate earwigs so much! I had never seen them before I moved into my house. The previous owners had wood mulch covering everything and the earwigs just love it. It's all gone now and so are they!

Beer traps are great. The slugs were destroying my hosta and the traps took care of them. I can't tell from the pic (reading on my phone), but do you have you're trap just sitting on the ground? I've been told if you sink the trap in the ground a bit it gets the slugs better.

11. connie said on May 16, 2010

oh, he is trouble!

12. blake said on May 17, 2010

What a lovely post! But, the gardening nerd in me is dying to ask: Lentils? Really? We eat lentils by the KILO in this house, and I never considered growing them. I'm fascinated!