So the first set of crib bumpers I made were sad. So sad that I had to make a second set. I used the wrong kind of batting, I cut some of the fabric BEFORE washing it, I improvised on dimensions.
Note to self: sewing is not like cooking in that you can’t just get the gist of the project from the instructions and then do whatever you like. Especially when one’s sewing skills are barely competent.
But this new set turned out great. Or at least good enough. The sad part is that I didn’t have enough of my extraordinarily cool vintage Marimekko triangle fabric for the whole set of bumpers. But I did have a different vintage Marimekko pattern to use for the long sides and do you know what? I kind of like the new combo better. I love it when that happens. And I love that these are nice and neutral, but still patterned enough to be interesting. And the neon ties are pretty fun too. (Though they make taking a good photo really hard!)
It’s so satisfying to have such cute little pillows lining Dashiell’s crib. But I will not be starting an Etsy business making custom crib bumpers, like I thought for a fleeting second whilst in the middle of the first failed set. Wrangling 170+ inches of fabric and batting and pins is not something I want to be doing on a regular basis.
I used the instructions in Lotta’s Simple Sewing for Baby, in case any of you feel like taking this project on yourself. The hilarious part about this whole adventure is that in like a month, I’ll have to take them out anyway so the little monkey doesn’t use them to climb out of his crib. But for the next baby they’ll be all ready to go.