August 31, 2010

Peach jam that you don’t want to miss

I AM going to post the white bean soup recipe, promise. But first, because summer is waning and peaches won’t be with us much longer, I think you need to know about this jam. I made it two weeks ago and I wasn’t expecting anything special. It’s just peach jam after all. JUST PEACH JAM!? HA! How foolish I was.

It’s so deceptively simple that you’re not going to believe me until you make it yourself. The key is in how you cook it, so pay attention to that part.

Old Fashioned Peach Jam

4 c sliced peaches (I left the skin on)
4 c sugar
1 T lemon juice

Obviously you could use more peaches and sugar to make more jam, as long as you follow the same ratio. And actually, I think you could skimp on the sugar. It is a particularly sweet jam. Or preserves. Can someone please explain the difference between jam and preserves? To me they are one in the same.

Okay, now. To prepare:

In a heavy bottomed pan/pot (I used my short all clad stock pot), bring all ingredients to a simmer and cook over low heat until peach slices are translucent. This is the key. It seems like they are never going to turn, but they will. It took at least an hour when I made my first batch. Then, and only then, turn the heat up and boil the jam (stirring v. frequently to avoid burning) until both peaches and syrup fall off your wooden spoon as one unit. And then you’re done! You can process jam in small jars for gifts or dump it all into a big jar and stick in the fridge so you don’t have to share one drop.

I’ve been enjoying ours on pretty much everything, including spoons. But it seems to be particularly delicious on leftover toasted ciabatta. Note: you must be sure that every square cm is first covered in butter BEFORE applying jam. This will guarantee maximum enjoyment.

Recipe was the fruit of a quick google search that lead me to Cooks.com. I chose it because it seemed the least fussy (no peeling and mashing and marinating the peaches), and it turned out to be revelatory.

comments

1. Beth Wooten said on August 31, 2010

I've always been a little intimidated by jam making, but this looks pretty killer. :)

2. KOHAKOU said on August 31, 2010

Simple things (in this case recipes) most often are the best ones. We make apricot jam exactly the same way – only with apricots of course :-) And add a mouthful of brown rum on top of it before sealing the jar… Flaked almonds in the jam are also very good. And I totally agree with you: sometimes less is more, in this case sugar.

3. Green Been Food said on August 31, 2010

yummy…with spring on the way here in aust i love the idea of stone fruit jams & your tablecloth is very pretty!

4. Jacqui said on September 1, 2010

hi,
    My family and I have made many kinds of jam for ever – raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, apricot mainly but also sometimes peach and others. Simple traditional recipes usually are 1:1 for fruit to sugar because the sugar is the preserving agent and those jams were made to last a full year until the next harvest. Lemon juice is added for fruit that has little pectin itself to help with setting. I often cut it down to 3/4 sugar to fruit since my jams never last a year! and if I have extra fruit I rather freeze it then make jam from frozen as I think fresh jam is nicer anyway!
    Also in Australia most people don't use the water bath method for jams but do for canned fruit/veg. For jam I just use recylced screw top jars and sterilise jars in a low oven and lids with boiling water from the kettle. Then hot jam into jar, lid on and done! Seals almost every time and less messing around. Any that don't seal go in the fridge and are eaten first.

5. The Bees Knees said on September 1, 2010

Thanks for making my mouth extra happy. This is a must share.

peach jam por vida!

6. Malia and Mommy said on September 2, 2010

So funny. Made peach jam this weekend as well. Recipe from Good to the Grain. I added cinnamon at the end. Divine!

7. Katy said on September 2, 2010

Oh wow, this sounds so easy. I love peach jam, too. I am definitely going to try this.

8. bigBANG studio said on September 2, 2010

Baby Dash is growing up FAST. Like, whoosh. It must be pretty swell to be the mother of such a beautiful wee bairn; I mean, he's PERFECT.

Stern Men: short stories about lobstermen and other nefarious seamen by Laura Gilbert, right? Haven't read it, but ought to. Loved "The Last American Man." Couldn't stand "EPL," but I know I'm in the minority there.

Thanks for the great recommendation, and what I wouldn't give for some of the peach jam. Peaches in general, actually. Food up north here a actually a little, um, same-same.

9. Torrie said on September 2, 2010

This looks incredibly good… and simple! I have made really easy strawberry jam (from Everyday Food) before, which definitely boosted my confidence up- in the 'jam category.' But have yet to try peach. Thanks for sharing!

10. figsandfeathers said on September 3, 2010

cannot WAIT to make
    we'll see if i give any for gifts or if i hoard it. if you don't see me for a week look for me in a dark closet with a big spoon……

11. {lovely little things} said on September 4, 2010

Love peach jam!

12. g see said on June 20, 2020

Hello to every body, it’s my first pay a visit of this web site; this web site
    carries amazing and really good data in support of readers.

13. thing g said on June 21, 2020

Have you ever considered writing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?
    I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would
    really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would appreciate your work.
    If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.

14. g https://tinyurl.com/rsacwgxy said on June 21, 2020

What’s up Dear, are you really visiting this web page on a
    regular basis, if so after that you will without doubt take nice knowledge.

15. Hi, its pleasant paragraph on the topic of
    media print, we all be aware of media is a fantastic source of
    data.

16. www.immosell24.eu said on June 26, 2020

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was totally right.
    This post actually made my day. You cann’t imagine just
    how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

17. cbd oil that works 2020 said on June 27, 2020

Ahaa, its good conversation about this article
    at this place at this website, I have read all that, so now me also commenting here.

18. cbd oil that works 2020 said on June 28, 2020

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both
    educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail
    on the head. The problem is something not enough people are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy that I found this during my hunt for something concerning this.