October 29, 2010

Saving the season

Yesterday while Dashiell and I were at Surfas, I saw an announcement for a class on holiday canning. Which of course made me look twice, because as we all know, I love canning things. The instructor, it turns out, has a lovely blog on preserving and canning called Saving the Season. What a perfect sentiment.

He has all sorts of nice recipes (like pear jam, yum!!) and ideas about the process. Plus a whole list of canning resources for anyone who wants to get into the spirit of putting up your own preserves and pickles and the like.

Perfect for a little weekend project, don’t you think? I’m desperate to make pickled jalapenos from my overfull pepper plant. Perhaps I’ll make a bunch and add them to my little stash of holiday gifts.

This weekend we’ll be enjoying the sparkly fall weather, dressing up our little dude in his first Halloween costume, and someone will be packing and preparing for a short (but very sweet) trip to Berkeley on Monday all by herself.

comments

1. Caroline said on October 29, 2010

I love the idea of saving the season!! I’ve been taking a gardening class and it has provoked such change in my life … good change!! As always your words are always a joy to read. Enjoy your weekend! xo

2. jill said on October 29, 2010

love your blog–just discovered it! enjoy your trip, i live in and love berkeley!

3. jes [a mountain bride] said on October 29, 2010

my hubby and I just moved to upstate New York and had to take advantage of the apple picking splendor that abounds here. We plucked 30+ pounds of fresh local exquisite apples! We then spent a weekend making the yummiest applesauce ever created (well….hehehe…we are biased!) and canned a dozen jars to send as Christmas presents to our family around the country! Canning was something neither of us had done before and it was surprisingly easy! We are hooked. This will certainly be an annual adventure for us.

4. Melanie said on October 29, 2010

maybe we’ll take the class together! want to?!

5. sara said on October 29, 2010

canning is climbing my to-do list!

i have a bunch of stone fruit trees that beg to be made into jams and preserves.

stoked on the blog link – can’t wait to devour it.
    thanks for the post.

have so much fun dressing up dashiell for halloween!

last year dylan was so teeny tiny… this year, it’s on:

xo sara

6. videos divertidos said on October 31, 2010

I think we also deserve this . good point! financial help

7. Meg said on October 31, 2010

I was just given a box full of local apples and canned 12 jars of apple butter. I love canning and saving the season!

8. Buy Neopoints said on June 25, 2011

Your blog has definitely inspired me to totally rethink the way I blog. Just saying thanks for all your hard work.

9. Morey said on July 25, 2011

Way to use the itrnneet to help people solve problems!

10. smpgsg said on July 27, 2011

Ta273r sglzazhxboqm

11. Latina Fegueroa said on June 2, 2012

I appreciate the invaluable knowledge you present inside your posts.