November 23, 2010

Good ol’ film

I haven’t developed a roll of film in, um, I don’t know… maybe 5 years? And let’s not get too excited here or anything, but I finally got a roll of Holga pics developed over the weekend. Even though they’re not GREAT, it’s still amazing how different the quality is, in comparison to digital.

Holga is amazing. I’m totally hooked and kicking myself for not shooting 100 rolls in the last few years. The first roll I shot, I dropped on the ground when I took it out of the camera, before I had a chance to seal the roll… so it unrolled itself on the way down to the floor. Sweet! Then I opened the back of the camera on accident in the middle of the next roll. And now I have this roll, which is a year old. I waited forever to develop these because it’s hard to find a lab that develops 120 film these days! It turns out that one of the few places in LA that still does it is right next to my house. I have a new favorite photo lab.

And now I’m inspired to go through the last 9 months of pictures and get started on Dashiell’s baby album. Maybe it will be a project over the holidays when we’re in Mammoth. It will be do sad if I don’t ever print his photos. I still love looking through the albums my parents have from our first years.

comments

1. Emily said on November 23, 2010

I adore Holga! It’s a little pricey to develop but the results are SO worth it! Great pictures!

2. Jessica said on November 23, 2010

thank you thank you thank you. i have had a holga for months now but have held off on taking photos with it because i couldn’t find anywhere to develop it. i live just a few blocks from that photo lab so now i guess i have no excuse!

3. Marty J. said on November 23, 2010

I have the same dilemma with developing all my 120. I have three rolls sitting here waiting to be developed. I finally bought a 35mm adapter for my camera. I still have a few pictures left on a 120mm, but I can’t wait to try out the adapter and see if it’s everything it promised to be. Love the scrabble picture at the bottom!

4. caroline said on November 23, 2010

I can’t remember the last time I developed film. I think I have a new project on the horizon.

5. rose said on November 23, 2010

isn’t film wonderful? :) i love how it’s always such a surprise – there’s always a couple of photos you didn’t remember taking! getting the negatives scanned onto cd is a good way to go too – then you can tinker in photoshop – and save yourself money on printing the so-so shots

6. Lily said on November 24, 2010

Thank you! I’ve had a hard time finding a lab that will process 120 film. Will visit the lab this weekend!

7. charlane said on November 24, 2010

what wonderful shots!

8. Caroline C said on November 28, 2010

I love my holga. The same thing happened to me with my first roll but I’ve been able to develop a few rolls. And thank goodness there is a shop that ships out 120 film to develop but its pretty expensive! If you get the chance, scan the film! I’d love to see more of the photos!