November 10, 2010

Xmas at IKEA

I think like everyone I have a strong love-hate relationship with IKEA. Sometimes it’s genius and sometimes it makes me want to stick needles in my eyes, rather than finish building whatever it is that’s spread in splinters all over my living room floor. I’ve taken to avoiding complicated furniture and that truly does make a difference.

For instance, earlier this week Dashiell and I took a trip down to the nearest store for a high chair. Child is 8.5 months old and is still eating in his Baby Bjorn bouncy chair. Oops. We found an excellent high chair with a huge tray, that’s super solid and as a bonus, red. Yay.

But we also found all sorts of good Christmas decors:

The cutest tall, skinny cocktail glasses. A set of tins for wrapping things like cookies and breads and other baked goods. ($7.99 for all three, btw). And some simple straw ornaments. (I love Scandinavian holiday decor. All things Scandinavian, really. But especially their patterns, and straw things, and furniture, and glassware and textiles.) I highly recommend checking out their seasonal items. They also have a really great straw wreath, similar to the one I bought last year from Roost. And cute patterned paper bags for wrapping.

Such a typical IKEA trip. Go in for ONE thing, leave with a car full of assorted items, feeling sort of dazed and high from the sheer number of inexpensive modern products and swedish meatball aromas.

comments

1. celia said on November 10, 2010

i gave in about a year ago and decided just to LOVE ikea. i’ve heard their highchairs and cribs are amazing. i’m a little scared to go in for christmas decor. er, i should say, my bank account is scared.

2. sunny said on November 10, 2010

You found some really cute Christmas items! I was just at IKEA on Sunday (it’s nowhere near my home) and missed the whole Christmas section. Will have to visit again to look for the items you purchased!

I too love IKEA but am not a handy girl at all. I cry when I try to put a piece of IKEA furniture together. Thus this afternoon I am paying a friend some cash to put a little bookcase together for me. No tears and I’ll enjoy the bookcase more :)

(Love your blog, by the way!!)

3. gina said on November 10, 2010

We just got that same highchair — in black. It matches our other IKEA furniture, and even better — it’s s not a giant plastic monstrosity with pastel animals plastered all over. We love it!

4. Deepali said on November 10, 2010

Ikea was my first introduction into Christmas decorations. I never had a proper tree until I got married and we foraged through Ikea’s holiday decor to start our ornament collection (which has amassed greatly since then I must say). Their ornaments are pretty sturdy, particularly when you have a 2 year old tugging on them. Hooray for Ikea!

5. Rachel (heart of light) said on November 10, 2010

Oh god, those cocktail glasses!

I’m firmly on the love side of the fence with Ikea, although I will admit that a joint trip can be a bit of a strain on a relationship. My motto – never start hungry or short on time and you’re good to go.

6. Lindsey said on November 10, 2010

Wow! I love those glasses and the straw ornaments. Almost makes me want to drive to our nearest ikea in Houston from New Orleans. Almost.

7. charlane said on November 10, 2010

i’ve never been to ikea – but those glasses make me want about 8 of them

8. help for single mothers in florida said on November 10, 2010

Thanks for sharing us informative entries.

9. Melanie said on November 10, 2010

i need tins!! something i can do to fill my time! calendar-ing it for next week:)

10. scholarships for moms said on November 10, 2010

Can I link to your post?

11. newegg coupon said on November 11, 2010

Thought I would comment and say great theme, did you make it for yourself? Really looks excellent! financial help

12. Alexis said on November 17, 2010

oh fun…. thanks for the tip… I love getting great tins for goodie giving.

ox

13. Zickmu said on January 19, 2011

I used to be searching at associated blog content for my challenge study when I occurred to stumble upon yours. Thank you for the practical data!

14. Camera Christmas Deals 2012 said on December 10, 2012

the price of insurance quotes would vary from company to company and i always check for the lowest priced insurance quotes,.