December 3, 2010

The vintage ornament motherload

Over Thanksgiving weekend my mom and I started to go through a small part of my grandma’s Christmas ornament collection. She had an impressive stockpile. And since my mom already has box upon box of ornaments in her own collection, I ended up with first dibs on the lot.

Of course, if they were store bought, they’re still in their original box. Though many are actually handmade. Some from kits that my mom remembers making with my grandpa when she was little, and some whipped up from nothing. There’s even a set of sheep that my great grandma made from clothespins and real wool. Those are pretty neat. And in perfect condition. (Forgot to take a photo of them!)

My grandma loved pink, so no surprise that we found an entire box of pink balls. I don’t love pink necessarily, but they were too perfectly shiny to pass up.

And a little mix of the bunch I brought home. Aren’t they great? I’m a firm believer that one’s ornament collection should be varied, should represent places you’ve been and experiences you’ve had, and if possible passed down through generations.

It’s tree/decor weekend at our house. So excited. I hear babies love Christmas trees.

And don’t forget! The Chronicle Friends & Family 35% off sale ends on Sunday. Stock up, I say.

comments

1. Olivia said on December 3, 2010

they are so beautiful! i can’t stand “too perfect” trees with matching ornaments. trees are so much more special (and pretty) when every ornament has a sentimental story. xo

2. Nadine said on December 3, 2010

Wow, these are fantastic! I’m not a big pink person either, but I love the pink ones. What a treasure.

3. Melissa said on December 3, 2010

What a beautiful collection! I completely agree with your comment,

“One’s ornament collection should be varied, should represent places you’ve been and experiences you’ve had.”

My Christmas tree has silly ornaments created during my childhood, heirlooms from grandparents and new ornaments bought during trips to Austria, England, etc. I love seeing each one and remembering the wonderful history behind it.

4. Liz said on December 3, 2010

I remember the year my sister declared the need to set a “theme” upon our Christmas tree. Secretly horrified, and the younger sister, I held no sway.

I prefer them varied and entirely mis-matched. I like having a life/family history made out in the ornaments.

Great stash!

5. Rachel (heart of light) said on December 3, 2010

You are a lucky duck! I love those vintage ornaments. We’re building up our collection slowly, slowly, slowly.

6. Starlet said on December 3, 2010

Aaaahhhh….the smell of christmas!!!

I especially love the sets on the last picture. Are those ginger bread cookies?

7. kendal croix said on December 3, 2010

these are gorgeous.

8. donnaB said on December 4, 2010

jackpot! oh my goodness what a lucky girl you are.

9. Brigitta Ryan {duo} said on December 5, 2010

What a find! I am very very jealous. I for one, love pink baubles on a green tree (plus anything vintage is a fave). Happy Christmas x

10. Melissa said on December 5, 2010

Okay, I LOVE Pink, and those ornaments shining their prettiness are just perfect! If you need a home for them…look no further than moi, ha!

The old original boxes filled with ornaments are incredible. Such nostalgia.

11. Katie said on December 6, 2010

Those are so beautiful! Can you post pictures of your tree when it’s up! It will look great.

12. Alexis said on December 6, 2010

oh my goodness… how fabulous! the few old ornaments I have from my grandma are my favorite. merry merry!

13. Q said on December 6, 2010

This makes me want to get a 2nd Christmas tree!

14. mama hussy said on December 7, 2010

swooning over all of these vintage ornaments.

15. Jolie said on December 7, 2010

It’s really magnificent that the ornaments are still in their original boxes. I too just inherited some of my Grandmother’s ornaments and it would be fantastic if they were still in their boxes.

16. Amanda said on December 8, 2010

What could be better than this.

17. laura said on January 20, 2011

just divine. what a collection of beauties. i just stumbled across your blog, it’s so beautiful.