February 8, 2011

recently in the kitchen

Baby muffins from Sara, which Dashiell goes crazy for. Even though they are a week old and taste more like cardboard than actual food. LOVES THEM.

Delicata squash, a la Blake. Though sadly I didn’t get around to making the pizza because I don’t have “Tipo 00″ flour. Must get some of that, soon.

And nachos, of course, for the super bowl. I’m proud to say that I haven’t brought home a can of beans since the less waste project in August. Homemade beans are sooooo easy and so much more delicious. Even on nachos. And this was the perfect opportunity to use my pickled jalapeños. Which are also very very yum.

We had a hilarious happy hour on the couch with Dashiell smacking his lips for more nachos. It’s the little moments that are always so memorable.

And as an extra fun addition, the radish salad I posted a long while ago is on Chow Bella today, the food blog for the Phoenix New Times. Thanks Jennifer!

comments

1. blake said on February 8, 2011

My little super-snacker tried (spicy!) salsa on Sunday… I think the little guys like mexican food. Who can blame.

Glad you tried at least the first part of the pizza recipe! :) I recently found tipo 00 our local co-op’s bulk aisle. Less waste and cost. Score.

Going to try those muffins. Trying to get rid of packaged snax for my little one.

2. kathleen said on February 8, 2011

those nachos + a stella look like heaven!

3. Cait said on February 8, 2011

Yumm! Those nachos. I die.
    I would love to start making my own beans. Do you have a particular recipe that you like?

4. erin said on February 8, 2011

Hey Kristina! Your little guy is cute and getting so big! The muffins look awesome. Question. When did you start giving your son nuts? There are so many conflicting opinions. It seems like we fed our babies with the same beliefs so I was wondering your thoughts.
    Hope your doing great!

5. Kristina said on February 8, 2011

@blake – I’m definitely going to make a big batch of dough and keep it in the freezer like you suggest!

@Cait – I’ll post my recipe! It’s really simple and I kind of just made it up, but it’s delicious.

@Erin – Technically sunflower seeds aren’t nuts (they’re seeds), and since I’ve been giving him sesame and flax seeds and coconut for months, I figured they’d be fine. I think we’re probably overly paranoid about the nut thing before a year, but I’m waiting to introduce peanuts and almonds and such til then. We don’t have any nut allergies in our family so I’m sure he won’t either, but I’m I figure he can wait a few more weeks!

6. Kelsey said on February 8, 2011

Love it! My husband is a prof at ASU in nutrition and food policy and hosts a CSA by Crooked Sky farms at the downtown ASU campus – love the small world connection! Can’t wait to get some radishes in our share!

7. holly said on February 8, 2011

that red onion looks really delicious

8. Rachel (heart of light) said on February 8, 2011

Still haven’t gone to the trouble of tracking down the 00 flour, although I keep meaning to.

I use a blend of all purpose + semolina for pasta, and a blend of all purpose + white whole wheat for pizza. Both work well enough, but I’m always curious about getting the real deal flour.

9. jessica o'brien | jessohbee said on February 8, 2011

can you share your method for preparing black beans?

we too are a family that does not use canned foods of any kind anymore. garbanzo and other beans work great + actually taste better than canned counterparts. i’ve got the soaking + boiling down! but black beans i just can’t get right – they keep turning out dry + lacking flavor.

would love to know if you have any good info! thanks.

10. Alexis said on February 8, 2011

YUM! I would pay $100 for those nachos right now… I am sure I will have a dream about them.

and I would love to know your bean preparation too.

11. Marty J. said on February 8, 2011

I LOVE that radish salad! I make it in all the time in the summers now. : O )

12. sara said on February 8, 2011

yummy yum yum!
    so glad dashiell likes the muffins…
    d’s my little muffin man and i love that he pronounces it “mussins”.

swoon…

xo!

13. Kristina said on February 8, 2011

@Kelsey – Cool!

@Rachel – You can get Tipo 00 at Surfas! I just never remember to buy it. But I’m doing it, soon.

@Jessica – Will definitely post my bean recipe soon.

@ Alexis – poor prego ladies, you should have nachos at your disposal at all times.

@Marty – So happy you like it!

@Sara – awwwwwww. Mussins.

14. Caroline said on February 8, 2011

Everything looks so enticingly yummy!!!!!!

15. Amanda said on February 8, 2011

I have a ginormous 3 lb jar of Tipo 00 flour in my fridge if you want to come over and borrow some!

16. Giovanna said on February 9, 2011

I just got around to reading your August post, and I think “low impact kitchen” is a great idea. A while back, I tried doing without paper towels and napkins and other unnecessaries, but I always get off the bandwagon. We’ve been eating a lot of garbanzo and cannellini beans lately, so this has inspired me to go with dried beans instead.

17. Catherine said on February 25, 2011

I would love to try the pickled jalepeños sometime.
    Could you share that recipe too?