March 2, 2011

First birthday invites

Aside from dropping these babies in the mail before we left for Costa Rica, I’ve done not a thing to prepare for Dashiell’s bday party on Saturday. Which really doesn’t matter since he’s one, won’t remember this, and it’s pretty much just family attending. Plus a few non-judgemental friends who (I trust) will not assign me to unstylish-mom-hell for failing to deliver a more cohesively themed celebration. (RIGHT?)

But the invites turned out pretty cute, no?

(I hate how photos look with personal info blurred out, but you never know who’s lurking around on the internet.)

I love the big tissue paper confetti. So so easy to make! I have a whole bag ready for the actual party. I stuffed each envelope with a handful just for extra fun. See? I have a theme! It’s circles! Yes! Circles! As in extra large balloons and confetti.

I couldn’t bring myself to go rockets or cowboys this time around. I like that he’s still a baby.

Also, did I mention how much I love my new lens? Tis amazing.

comments

1. Maggie said on March 2, 2011

I love that it’s not too theme-y. What font did you use for Dashiell? Such a great h!

2. nicole b. said on March 2, 2011

What a great invitation! I like that you’re keeping it simple. People go to such ridiculous lengths to create a blog-worthy kid’s birthday party. It’s so silly. As long as D has fun and feels the love, then it’s a success! xo.

3. jamie said on March 2, 2011

very adorable.

have a great time!!!!

4. holly said on March 2, 2011

that is just perfect. i wish there was a place to buy invites like that.

5. Kelsey said on March 2, 2011

Too cute! I’m filing this away for future first birthdays. Have fun!

6. Elizabeth said on March 2, 2011

any suggestions on where to purchase tissue paper? I love the colors you are using here!

7. Rachel (heart of light) said on March 2, 2011

So sweet!

Also, circles are totally a theme.

8. Kersey said on March 2, 2011

I love it! After doing 2 semi-difficult parties for my little guy, simple is definitely better.

9. Katie said on March 2, 2011

perfection! confetti is one of my favorite things…these giant dots of color are killing me! I love it :-)

10. Desi said on March 2, 2011

I love the confetti. The invite turned out great. Clean and lovely.

11. Kristina said on March 2, 2011

@ Maggie – the font is called Monroe, available on MyFonts.com

@Elizabeth – I bought a huge multicolor back at Michaels. It’s awesome!

12. blake said on March 2, 2011

I agree with Maggie — great typography! which could totally be a baby party theme, if you ask moi.

13. Ann said on March 2, 2011

i think circles are a great theme…may have to use that one myself…love polka dots.

also, did you gocco your invitation? if so, what technique did you use to make such an evenly filled and inked balloon. when we use gocco, large areas stay blank no matter how much we ink the screen.

14. Reyna said on March 2, 2011

You are super cool! Those invitations look lovely! They make me want to have babies and have birthday parties for those babies.

15. Marty J. said on March 2, 2011

They’re great. End of story. : O )

16. logan said on March 2, 2011

Love it! Did you use a circle punch on the tissue paper? If so, how’d you get it not to tear? Tissue paper seems so delicate to use in a punch.

I might have to use the circle theme for our baby’s birthday come April!

Thanks!

17. Kristina said on March 2, 2011

@Ann – I did use my Gocco! I didn’t do anything special to get the print right… Except I always use the blue filter and a xeroxed copy of my template when I burn the screen. Do you? If you’re not getting ink through, that must mean that the screen isn’t actually burning in that spot… Which, hmm. I’m not sure how to fix that! I’m doing another project tomorrow with a filled space. Let’s hope it works out too.

@Logan – I did use a circle punch. 1 inch… though I want to use 1/2″, but I already had the other size. I punched through like 6 layers of tissue paper at a time, which helps prevent the paper from getting caught. You should definitely use circles for your babe’s party!

18. Bonnie @ carolinapostcard said on March 3, 2011

So simple & sweet. What a lucky little baby.

19. Laura said on March 4, 2011

This is the most adorable invitation! Thanks for sharing and congrats to your little guy on his first birthday!

20. elissa @ faucethead said on March 7, 2011

adorable! i’m sure the party was a great success with invites this fabulous!

21. Jessie said on March 8, 2011

Darling!! Hope we get to see photos from the party!!
    And I just added that lens to my Amazon wishlist :)

22. Monica said on March 8, 2011

LOVE it! This just inspired me so much! I am working on my youngest’s Easter-themed 1st birthday party next month…and now I”m thinking I will punch out little bunnies (and carrots if I can find a punch for it) out of cardstock and include them in the invitation..like little confetti! So cute!! Thank you!