March 9, 2011

The 1st birthday party

We had so much fun. It was simple and mostly for adults (read: burrata sandwiches and lunch wine), but you know, I think that’s how most 1st birthdays are.

A few highlights:

(Close up of the invites here.)

Positives: It didn’t rain and everyone was late (so we were ready and I was able to take a few photos).

Needs improvement: It was super windy so all of my cute confetti blew off the table and into the planters before anyone arrived. Also it was super sunny and warm, which was great, but that makes it really hard to take good photos! I didn’t get a great shot of the whole table with all of the honeycomb poofs hanging above, but you can imagine that right?

Almost all of the decor is from Shop Sweet Lulu. Napkins are from Ikea. Confetti tissue paper is from Michaels. I made the little cupcake flags and Dashiell’s birthday crown (which successfully made it to and from Costa Rica intact!). Oh and Dash’s adorable chicken shirt? Consignment store, of course! I love that one.

The menu (does anyone care?):

Veggie sandwiches
Burrata, roasted red pepper and arugula sandwiches
Coconut quinoa with tofu and snap peas
Guac, salsa, chips
Crudite with homemade hummus
Carrot cupcakes (muffins) with cream cheese frosting.

I used Sucanat for the cupcakes and 1/2 whole wheat flour to make them slightly more baby friendly. Which made them taste more like muffins than cake, but they turned out fine.

So glad we ended up having a party after all!

comments

1. Olivia said on March 9, 2011

you are supermom! seriously, this party is perfect, down to every detail. bookmarking this for when i have kids in like 10 years.

2. Caitlin B said on March 9, 2011

Those sandwiches looked so good! This party looks so sweet, and I love his shirt. Happy Bday!

3. Caroline said on March 9, 2011

What a great 1st birthday!!! I love the photos and how cute is he with his birthday crown. XO!

4. Nelle said on March 9, 2011

Love it, such a sweet party for baby and parents alike! :)

5. Amanda said on March 9, 2011

I SEE THAT CHICKEN SHIRT.

Happy birthday, D.

6. carolina postcard said on March 9, 2011

You take the dreamiest photos! And that felt crown is the sweetest touch to an already adorable little guy.

7. Katie said on March 9, 2011

Oh I adore it!

Where is the amazing chicken shirt from?!

8. Rachel (heart of light) said on March 9, 2011

It is just perfect. And you’re right – you only get a couple years of birthdays before he’ll get to choose the (possibly less photogenic) themes and details, so you should milk it for all its worth.

9. alyson said on March 9, 2011

so cute. I especially love his crown.

10. Katie said on March 9, 2011

Just re read and realized you posted where it’s from. Of COURSE it’s from the consignment store where I won’t be able to buy my own!! Any chance of a label inside?

11. Kristina said on March 9, 2011

Thanks you guys! I know… the chicken shirt is my favorite. I think it’s actually Lucky, if you can believe it.

@Rachel – I know. I am dreading the day we have a (insert popular kid’s character here) themed party. Maybe I will never let him have pop toys and we will have wooden block parties?

12. erin said on March 9, 2011

Kristina! SOOO adorable!!! GREAT job! Izaiah’s 1 yr is approaching and we are trying to figure out how to get away with having a margaritas and a mariachi band. ;)

13. leigh said on March 9, 2011

Everything about this party is just perfection! Easy and delightful and beautiful and fun. Happy Birthday!

14. Sara said on March 9, 2011

Love those big round balloons, and those sandwiches look delicious! Did you make them? If so, do you mind sharing what’s in the first one?

15. Sara 2 said on March 9, 2011

I actually love the bright light in these photos. Everything looks really beautiful. And where did you get that high chair? It’s great!

16. Melissa said on March 9, 2011

every detail = sunny, happy perfection!

Look at that sweet Prince…he’s one?! I can’t believe it!

17. Johanna Inman said on March 10, 2011

What a sweet day! I love the photos and the menu.

18. Katie said on March 10, 2011

This looks like a perfect 1st birthday (and the food sounds delish!) Can’t hardly wait for all these exciting milestones with our growing family :-)

19. michelle said on March 10, 2011

What a lovely party, I love all of your attention to detail, I’m sure he will love looking back on these pictures when he’s older.

20. Jessie said on March 10, 2011

I think I just had a little heart attack. So cute!!

21. Claire said on March 16, 2011

Oh my goodness! I love Dashiell’s quizzical look at the cupcake. What an awesome little guy. Happy birthday, Dash x

22. Rachelle said on March 23, 2011

Such a cute kids party! I love the menu choices.

23. gen said on April 18, 2011

I love everything about this party! Where did you get the balloons?

24. Audrey said on April 19, 2011

I have a soon-to-be one year old and her party is in a few weeks. I’ll be honest – I went to Sweet Lulu and purchased just about everything you did because your party is my dream!! Casual, comfortable, and such a warmth to the day. Could you share some recipes?? I’m IN LOVE with the look of those sandwiches and the carrot cake recipe sounds PERFECT for our little Ruby!

25. sarah emily said on May 16, 2011

Did you design and print the invites yourself? I am looking for a place for my son’s birthday in August. Thanks!

26. jones said on May 19, 2011

Dash’s party was perfect. I love the huge balloon idea and am going to use that for Nora’s first bash. Where did you inflate those puppies?

Thanks!!

27. I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind
    of space . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website.

Studying this info So i am satisfied to show that I’ve an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot certainly will make sure to don?t overlook this site and provides it a look regularly.

28. hey said on February 21, 2016

It’s remarkable to pay a quick visit this web site and reading the views of all colleagues concerning this piece of writing, while I am also eager of getting familiarity.|