March 10, 2011

toys organized

I’ve been meaning to organize the toy situation for months now. It’s harder to keep things under control than I anticipated! We’ll just say that my vision for the sort of toys my children would be surrounded by and the very well-intentioned gifts that have been bestowed on us throughout the course of the year don’t always line up. Does that make me a bad person?

I resolved to clean the toys out, donate those that we don’t need, and create a place for Dashiell where his toys are organized and accessible. I want him to know that it’s his little space and that each toy has a place (roughly), instead of just heaping everything into a pile.

I nearly donated a set of old West Elm nesting tables too when I realized that they would actually make pretty good temporary shelves for Dashiell’s play area.

Tis not perfect, I could still do a bit more pruning, but the toys have been thinned and the corner of the living room that was previously a sad, messy, dead space is now the perfect baby-size activity center. And he is so happy in there, throwing books on the floor and burying his little blocks under the couch.

I feel like I can breathe again. Yay.

comments

1. amelia said on March 10, 2011

we don’t even have children yet (but enough nieces and nephews to start these discussions) and i have strong ideas as well about the variety and amount of toys that our future children will play with and accumulate. i can already tell with how generous and certainly well-meaning our families and extended families are, that this will be difficult to achieve…

your toy area looks lovely now! i’m sure D loves playing there…

2. Katie said on March 10, 2011

I love your rug, and those little blocks are so sweet!! I am feeling the same way about baby/toddler toys…so I don’t think that makes you a bad person in the slightest ;-)

3. celia said on March 10, 2011

so on a total side note: we have the same rug.

how long have you had yours for?
    do you have trouble keeping it clean looking?
    ours got a little dingy, so we flipped it and stopped wearing shoes on it, but are starting to have the same problem again. i love it, but it’s driving me crazy.

4. blake said on March 10, 2011

Ah, what a good feeling to get things pruned a bit. It’s a constant process, and I have gotten over feeling guilty for ‘editing out’ toys I don’t like. Well, almost. As for clutter, we’ve been enjoying the ‘lending library’ method for toys and books: we only keep out (accessible) what he’s really into right now, and the rest gets stored in the basement. When the loot gets stale, the ‘new/old’ stuff comes up and the selection gets refreshed. An exciting day for the little dude. And, keeps the amount of toddler stuff in our LR down.

5. Julie said on March 10, 2011

The space looks great! I love that feeling, even if it’s for a second. He looks so happy (and very cute!) finding his way around and reading, I bet it’s a sense of structure for children too in knowing it’s their space. Love it!

6. Camila F. said on March 10, 2011

Adorable space! It looks really lovely (like that cutie-pie of yours).

7. Katie said on March 10, 2011

So many Kristina posts in one week! So happy!!