March 24, 2011

Veggie burgers in the NYT

Saw this yummy looking article in the NYT yesterday. Veggie burgers! Doesn’t the one on the front page for the food section look delish? It reminded me how much I do love a good veggie burger.

Guess where it’s from? Hillstone. As in formerly Houstons? Really? The best veggie burger in all of NYC is from a giant chain? Hmm. I will say that I’m a pretty big fan of the burger at R+D Kitchen (their sister restaurant), but I’ve had the one from Houstons years ago and I didn’t love. Maybe the recipe has changed? I have a hard time getting behind a restaurant that servers sushi and burgers together.

I’ve yet to try the Umami Burger, burger. Must get there, soon. And they write highly of the burger at Cru in Silverlake, which I clearly haven’t been to because it takes me 5 freeways to get there. But maybe we will start exploring. The Counter and M Cafe both make pretty delicious versions too.

More importantly, I’d love to have my own burger recipe at the ready. Last summer I was on a mission to perfecting my quinoa burger recipe. I got close, but frankly got sick of eating them all the time. I’ve been meaning to try Heidi’s latest version. Maybe I will start there.

comments

1. jora said on March 24, 2011

OK, I’m going to give you my all time favorite veggie burger recipe. I always meant to do a post on it, but after like 3 years, I guess that might not happen! Sooooooo good and no weird stuff trying to act like meat, you know?

(from Columbia Bar and Grill in Hollywood way back when)

1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine
    1/2 cup regular rolled oats
    1/2 cup cooked brown rice
    1/3 cup each shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, or all of 1 kind
    3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
    3 tablespoons low-fat cottage or ricotta cheese
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    Salt and pepper
    Toasted buns or bread
    Mayonnaise, red onion rings, and lettuce

In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat, cook mushrooms and green onions in butter, stirring often, until vegetables are limp, about 6 minutes. Add oats and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly, then stir in cooked rice, mozzarella, cheddar, walnuts, cottage cheese, eggs, and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.

On an oiled 12- by 15-inch baking sheet, shape into 4 patties, each 1/2 inch thick. Broil 3 inches from heat until deep golden, turning once, 6 to 7 minutes total. Serve on bread with mayonnaise, onion, and lettuce. Makes 4.

2. Rachael said on March 24, 2011

I wouldn’t expect an awesome veggie burger to come from a chain, either, but I’ve actually had that burger at Rutherford Grill in Napa (which is owned by Hillstone), and I have to say that it was probably the best I’ve ever had! Great blend of textures and flavors.

3. Wallace said on March 24, 2011

I also love The Counter’s veggie burger (and live walking distance from the one on Ocean Park which = danger!). Have you tried the one at Babalu on Montana… SO good (it’s messy, be prepared). Anther staple for me is the one at Novel Cafe (on Ocean Park, but I’m sure it’s good at their other locales as well).

4. aubree said on March 24, 2011

I’ve had a few abnormally lengthy conversations about Umami and how it is a must-go – still haven’t, but been dying to. Soon I will though, and I will let you know how it goes. Also, realized I’d failed to send you my list of Costa Rica recommendations, and it is far too late for that now. My apologies!

5. AmyC83 said on March 24, 2011

You really need to get your tushie over to Umami Burger ASAP. I recently went and kicked myself for never going sooner. It is delish.

6. alyson said on March 24, 2011

mmm, I’m a big fan of Heidi’s lentil burger recipe. I add a little cumin, coriander and fresh cilantro to mine!

I tried a quinoa burger recipe recently and wasn’t too fond of it. you should post yours!!

7. mrs. may said on March 24, 2011

As a vegetarian whose married to a meat-eater, this is one place where we can compromise. He loves a veggie burger as much as I do. We’re also big fans of the black bean burger, which I’ve finally perfected my recipe for. I’d love to see your recipe for a quinoa burger as I’m always looking for new variations on the meatless burger!

8. jessica o'brien | jessohbee said on March 24, 2011

i don’t like houston’s as it is too mushy and falls apart on first bite. i love the counters and have got to try the one at real food daily soon! i’m always too tempted by all their more “exotic” fare than a burger.

9. Deja said on March 24, 2011

I went to Umami Burger tonight for the first time. It was great! And… they have sweet potato fries, and the best smooshed potatoes. I am up for it any time you want to go!!

10. Kelsey said on March 25, 2011

Oh YUM. Still the best veggie burger I’ve had is from Claire’s Corner Copia in New Haven – it’s nutty and comes on this amazingly soft and hearty homemade roll. AH, drool. It would be my reward at the end of a long day of studying! I need to hunt down the recipe!

11. sara said on March 25, 2011

i can vouge for the umami veg burger – best thing I have ever had. I am trying to get a quinoa burger recipe perfected and I just can’t get it anywhere close!

12. bridget said on April 1, 2011

So funny–I always recommend the Houston’s (Hillstone?) veggie burger and feel a little weird since it’s “chain food.” But…..YUM!!