March 30, 2011

Yesterday’s internal dialogue

Some days just never seem to get going, you know? And often it’s no one’s fault but mine, as evidenced by this little vignette.

Wake and miraculously remember that Dashiell has a doctor’s appointment as I lay in bed listening to him babble in his crib at 6:15. Close one!

Scrap plans to take him running in the BOB (using the doctor’s appointment as an excuse because I really hate motivating to do that anyway when Brock is out of town, as he was yesterday.)

Get to doctor’s office early (miraculous!) but then we are forced to wait for 30 minutes anyway.

Get home at 10. Nanny is at home, waiting for us. Yay!

Now, I will settle in to work.

It’s going to be a really productive day.

First check email. Maybe a little light internet surfing, etc.

Decide I must shower before I can work. I didn’t go running, but at least a shower will make me feel ready for the day.

Shower, dress, and sit down at computer to work.

Decide I need a latte before I can REALLY get going. More caffeine!

Quickly drive to Peets for latte.

Return home and sit back down at computer.

Computer would be WAY faster if I restarted.

Oop! Forgot to make Dashiell his lunch for the park. Will make lunch quickly.

Oooooh. There are software updates! Computer would run better with updates. Will install and restart computer again.

Argg. I need a new computer soooo bad. Photoshop takes for-ever to start.

In the meantime I will check email. And maybe look up new computers on the Apple Store. I wonder if anyone has posted any good pictures on facebook?

Oooh an email!

Hmmm. I should eat something before I get going otherwise I will start working and then I will have to stop for nourishment, which will totally disrupt my groove.

What should I make? Pirate’s Booty is not considered breakfast. Wait, lunch.

Poached eggs! Yes! I have new english muffins from Traders! They will be perfect with poached eggs.

You know, I should just eat at the kitchen table. I don’t need to eat at my computer.

New Martha Weddings is kind of cute. Forgot I bought that. Maybe we should have registered for china? Would be so pretty for dinner parties. If we ever get a dining room.

Now I am properly prepared to work.

Wait, I should start a podcast. Score! Two new TALs.

ETC ETC ETC.

And then it actually turned into a surprisingly productive day. But I mean COME ON with how long it takes to get going! These are the days I kind of sort of a teeny bit wish I didn’t work at home. At least I took a photo of my lunch. See? I got a blog post out of my day! Is something.

comments

1. Shannyn said on March 30, 2011

LOVE this. Story of my life!

2. Kelsey said on March 30, 2011

Haha – yes! So it’s not just me.

3. Desi said on March 30, 2011

This is me everyday and I work at a studio. I don’t put physical barriers in the way they are all mental and quite hard to get around. I find when I identify that I’m doing this the Pomodoro Technique works best to jump start me (pomodorotechnique.com).

I also enjoy baby steps (i.e., I will do 10 minutes worth of blank and if I hate it… I will stop). I usually don’t stop. It works for running too.

4. Julie said on March 30, 2011

That was great reading..and funny! Some days are just like that, wouldn’t be “life” without days like that;)

5. ashley maureen said on March 30, 2011

oh so true. there’s an article in the current real simple mag (yet another vehicle for wasting time) about procrastination itself –and the diagrams and throught processes are pretty funny. gotta love it.

6. Rachel (heart of light) said on March 30, 2011

I tend to do this too. I like to clean the whole apartment, intensely and THEN make a long and detailed to do list and THEN gather things I need before finally getting down to work. But, I will say that once I start working I can really knock it out. I just like to keep my productivity highly concentrated.

7. Clare said on March 30, 2011

It must be the phase of the moon or something…I had this exact sort of day yesterday…try to start hat conservation project…oh wait must clean off table, make lunch…oh and check email etc. etc. argggghhhh.

8. Caroline said on March 30, 2011

I enjoyed reading this post. And those poached eggs look heavenly!!!!!!

9. east side bride said on March 30, 2011

so there’s the day i’m currently having? is what you’re saying?

10. Connie said on March 30, 2011

Oh dear…this is horribly reminiscent of *so* many of my working days…and I don’t even have the excuse of working from home! Throw in a few zillion facebook checks and it’s spot on.

11. kate said on March 31, 2011

haha love this! :)

12. B. Fallen said on March 31, 2011

Oh don’t worry, there’s plenty of procrastination at an office job as well.

13. Katie McNamara said on March 31, 2011

hilarious! (& pretty much my day today!)

14. Jenny said on March 31, 2011

oh do i know how you feel! it seems like it takes FOREVER to get going sometimes! That’s why I like working at the coffee shop 2 days a week. It MAKES me get going FAST. Your internal monologue was just perfectly put.

15. Marty J. Christopher said on March 31, 2011

It works like that everywhere. You just find other ways to procrastinate. You walk over to a coworker’s desk and chat. Go grab a snack from the vending machines or store. It never ends. We’re just not meant to work so damn much. : O )

16. rose said on March 31, 2011

so funny. since i’ve been working from home, i seem to find myself terribly busy with a detailed to-do list, none of which has anything to do with what i really should be doing. glad i’m not the only one ;)

17. mandie said on April 1, 2011

I’d just like you to know that thanks to this post, I’m on day 3 of majorly craving a good english muffin. Just thought I’d share. ;) Beautiful photo….

18. Giovanna said on April 1, 2011

I think you just described nearly every day of my life recently. (minus baby.) I started working from home more, and I’m realizing I’m just … not good at it.
    Makes me feel better that, a) this is common and b) you were productive, eventually.
    I’d be proud of poached eggs and a blog post. :)

19. Kristin said on April 7, 2011

hysterical! loved this. my life. in a nutshell.