April 26, 2011

What to do in Seaside, FL

Dearests, you always have such good ideas when I ask that I’m now unable to travel without first soliciting your opinions! Have any of you been to Seaside, Florida? (or Watercolor or Seagrove?) We’re headed there on Thursday morning for my friend Deja’s wedding. It looks so cute! But we know nothing about that part of Florida. Maybe some of you do?

I know that we’re planning to let Dashiell run around naked on the white sand beach, perhaps play tennis at the Watercolor Inn, and spend some time drinking beer with friends.

Any other must-dos? Hoping someone has been!

comments

1. Molly said on April 26, 2011

I’ve vacationed there for ….. 13+ years now with my family! It’s the greatest. Restaurant you MUST try is Basmati’s (http://www.yelp.com/biz/basmatis-asian-cuisine-and-sushi-santa-rosa-beach), it’s always an amazing meal. The beaches are to die for, and I’m not sure you need to do much else! There’s a shaved ice airstream trailer in Seaside that’s a fun visit, and really just tons of restaurants in Seaside to visit. Taco Bar & Shrimp Shack (both in the shops at Seaside) are lovely for lunch, especially Shrimp Shack – you can sit overlooking the beach. There are state parks around you can hike/bike through, but really the beach is where it’s at. Let me know if you have any questions or want any specific info!

2. Kat said on April 26, 2011

I haven’t been there since I was about 9 years old, but it’s BEAUTIFUL. Case in point: watch, “The Truman Show” and you’ll get an idea of what I’m talking about – it’s where the movie was filmed. Love it, love it, love it! :-)

3. Kristen M. said on April 26, 2011

Okay, blogworld is officially crazy….just read a post on http://www.simplelovelyblog.com/ about this very place…and she linked to a friend who also went there. Have fun!

4. mary said on April 26, 2011

you are in for such a treat!!! it’s a magical place!!! i did a couple of posts on our day trips there (we were stationed in pensacola with the navy and snuck away to seaside on a few weekends!) two of my favorite things are the airstreams: http://tulipsandflightsuits.squarespace.com/tulips-flight-suits/2010/4/5/seaside-airstreams.html and this was an amazing restaurant: http://tulipsandflightsuits.squarespace.com/tulips-flight-suits/2010/7/28/cafe-30a.html
    what we love most is it is SO walkable, cute little bookstores, places to stop for a sweet — and the beach has the most gorgeous white sand! enjoy!!

5. Giovanna said on April 26, 2011

Ooh, please let us know how Seaside is. We’re looking for a quick getaway that includes a cheap flight from NY and something like this would do just fine. Have fun!

6. Katie said on April 26, 2011

Red Bar in Grayton Beach is really fun at night! And if it’s still there, Bud & Alleys in Seaside is upstairs and overlooks the ocean – a great place for beers! There’s also beautiful stores, markets, and restaurants popping up all the time in Watercolor and Rosemary Beach!

Hope you have a wonderful time!

7. Darci said on April 26, 2011

I was lucky enough to designed 2 residences in Seaside. While I was there installing my jobs I stayed at Watercolor and it was wonderful! You can take a bike and ride all around and eat your way through this cute town. My favorite place to grab a quick bite was the taco place right in the heart of town. I think it was owned by Bud and Alley (they have a couple restaurants in the same area) and it was delish! Oh, and there is a great coffee shop just up the way from the taco stand that had the best cup of morning joe! The beaches are amazing and when it is really calm out the water literally looks like a lake. You can walk for what feels like a city block and still be only up to your knees in water. The one thing I really was wanting to try but time would not permit was paddle boarding on the long surf boards – the kind that you stand on and paddle around with an oar. I saw several people doing it and it looked like so much fun – plus a great workout!

Have an amazing time!

8. Kate said on April 26, 2011

It’s a horrible horrible place…nobody should ever go there. ;)

I need to save it for myself, you see! It’s our most favorite place in the whole world. It’s a wonderful place to take your children. Our favorite things to do are swim at the family pool, eat a snack at the wine bar in the center of town, have a taco and margarita at the Taco Bar and just relax on the green as it gets dark. Another favorite place to eat is Pizza by the Sea and it’s in the Publix shopping center. Anybody can give you directions to it.

There is a new toy store and I heard it’s supposed to be darling. Also, there are two great kid’s stores in town. One is the Seaside Kids store and it’s over by Amavida Coffee {great coffee!} on the beach side. The other is Little Red, which is in Watercolor now.

If you have any other questions, please email me. We spend around 3 weeks there every year, so I can probably come up with the answer! Have a blast, but don’t tell too many people you liked it. ;)

9. Kate said on April 26, 2011

I forgot to mention the Tarpon Bar at Sunset. It’s the upstairs bar at Bud and Alley’s. It’s the best place to be while you wait for the sun to set!

10. Sally Houlihan said on April 26, 2011

My in-laws live in Water Color year round and it’s absolutely wonderful. You will have a great time and the it has surprisingly delicious food – the places everyone recommended are spot on (Basmatis, Red Bar). For restaurants add “Fire” to your list for a nice dinner, it’s our favorite restaurant in town and a great and delicious casual lunch spot is called the “Smiling Fish.” Also, “Another Broken Egg” is great for brunch.

Finally, this woman Erika McPherson lives in Seaside and has a beautiful blog – http://blog.urbangrace.com/ about decorating but also life in Seaside/Water Color as well which could be fun to browse through prior to visiting.

Enjoy.

11. Sally Houlihan said on April 26, 2011

Enjoy.

12. Sally Houlihan said on April 26, 2011

My in-laws live in Water Color year round and it’s absolutely wonderful. You will have a great time and it has surprisingly delicious food – the places everyone recommended are spot on (Basmatis, Red Bar). For restaurants add “Fire” to your list for a nice dinner, it’s our favorite restaurant in town and a great and delicious casual lunch spot is called the “Smiling Fish.” Also, “Another Broken Egg” is great for brunch.

Enjoy.

13. Sally Houlihan said on April 26, 2011

Sorry – I was having computer/Internet trouble and I think it posted my suggestions multiple times. Sorry!

14. beth said on April 26, 2011

This is the best time of year to go! Before the blistering heat begins. I have so many happy memories of the gulf coast from childhood…you will love!

15. stephanie said on April 26, 2011

i saw the post title and i smiled from ear to ear! like some of your other readers, part of my heart stays in seaside. i adore it!
    i grew up in pensacola, fl (about 2 hours west) and spent lots of time at seaside. now, we vacation there frequently, but its never enough!…

must-dos:
    rooftop bar at bud and alley’s just before sunset…the bell rings and everyone toasts to another great day along the gulf :)
    eat fried pickles and enjoy a cold beer at pickles beachside grill
    explore the charming town by foot or golfcart- walk through all the brick streets and alleys admiring the gorgeous homes
    rent bikes and ride along 30A exploring all the cute beach towns- i hear alys beach is worth checking out
    play tennis (they have wonderful clay courts)
    play in the gulf and let D run, run, run in the white sand and gentle waves
    have a picnic with food from modica market on the town green…its so quaint and perfect
    and, please try paddle boarding and tell us how it is- i have been dying to try it!

i have blogged about seaside several times and would love for you to read my posts, see my pictures, and get excited!:

16. Erin said on April 26, 2011

It is by far my most favorite place! I was lucky enough to have friends with beach houses in nearby Seagrove that we would visit all through college. Now my husband and I are taking a long awaited trip there in the summer and staying at the beachfront cottage suites! If you want a sneak peek, watch the Truman Show. It was filmed there. The Modica market, Bud and Alley’s and the Taco Bar are fabulous! And the Red Bar in Grayton is a must!

17. alyson said on April 26, 2011

oh! I’m so jealous you’re going to Florida. Seaside is beautiful! I stayed at Grayton Beach only once, but the sand is so white and squeeky! you’ll love it.

18. emma said on April 26, 2011

My family and I have vacationed there for the past 20 years. It is a wonderful place to take children! We always bring our bikes (we live 5 hours away so we always drive), but there are plenty of places to rent bikes. Riding around seaside and watercolor is so much fun and we love daydreaming about living in the beautiful homes. Also, if you guys cook at home Goatfeathers is the best place near seaside to get fresh seafood – the shrimp is always wonderful!

19. Bonnie @ carolinapostcard said on April 26, 2011

One of my favorite places in the world! My favorite thing to do is getting on a bike and just exploring around.

Lunch @ Seagrove Market – Po’boys

Fish out of Water @ Watercolor – fancy, but awesome seafood

Red Bar @ Grayton – kind of an institution, very relaxed & amazing crab cakes

Bud & Alley’s – best place to watch the sunset & have great margaritas

I just noticed these are all places to eat! Another fave is if you make it down to Alys Beach it’s truly beautiful. Great restaurant called Georges (http://www.georgesatalysbeach.com/) & check out Studio B (http://www.studiobthebeach.com/calendar.html)

20. sarah said on April 26, 2011

I live in the panhandle and love it! Definitely visit the Red Bar if you go to Grayton Beach– they have awesome music there and brunch on sunday mornings. If I was you I’d just take the opportunity to hang out on the beaches…they are so incredibly beautiful. And like others have reccomneded, rent bikes! My fiance and I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Grayton one year for my birthday and had a fantastic casual breakfast at the Hibiscus.

21. Hillary said on April 26, 2011

My family and I have been vacationing in Seaside for the past 5 summers and it truly is a beautiful, quaint, little place. I highly recommend that you go to Grayton Beach State Park. The beaches are pristine and it’s never crowded.

22. Hillary said on April 26, 2011

23. Marty J. Christopher said on April 26, 2011

Okay. I have a confession to make. I trolled the comments to see what people would say about seaside. Secretly, I was hoping everyone would hate it since no matter what I do, I can’t seem to love Florida (it’s where my husband’s family lives and where I’m destined to go forever). But everyone here seemed to love it so much! My new thing is to take one side trip on every trip to Florida we take so that I actually get to see Florida. This past trip we went to Disney World (I’d never been) and Bok Tower. So perhaps I will bookmark Seaside as our next mini-vacation within a vacation. : O ) Hope you have a great time and take/share lots of photos!

24. Erika said on April 26, 2011

Basmati’s is a long-time fave. Modica Market has amazing sandwiches that are a definite delicious treat. We also love brunch or happy hour at Great Southern Cafe in Seaside.

DO NOT miss the chance to vsit Alys Beach. White-wash stucco, gorgeous details and a divine coffee shop. This family-made development has a beautiful story to match it’s stunning design.

Bikes are the way to go. Hours of beautiful and inspiring rides in Watercolor. The Grayton Beach state park has a light hike that spans forest, beach, tall skinny pines and dunes. Just go in the coolest part of the day since the beach/dune portion is exposed.

Have a blast! It’s a refreshing spot.

25. Cait said on April 26, 2011

My family is from Seaside/Grayton!! I have been vacationing there every summer since I was a baby. Everywhere you’ll eat is great. Go get a swirl ice cream at the ice cream shop next to Modica Market. Make sure to stop by Sundog Books. Also, look up Kelsey Anna. She’s a local singer (and my cousin) who has a lot of great shows around there. Anyway, hope you guys love it as much as I do!

26. Cait said on April 26, 2011

ooh! and be sure to try the po’boys down a ways on 30A and any blue crab that you can get your hands on. As another person said, you should go into old Grayton and visit the Red Bar. My uncle has been singing there for years. It’s a great place for live music. If you are ever in Old Grayton you should stop in at Hibiscus just for their oatmeal because it is out of this world. Can you tell I’m excited for you? I miss it so much!

27. Cait said on April 26, 2011

P.S. the po’boys are found at the Seagrove Village Market, which is a ways down 30A towards Publix and at the corner of where 30A and Hwy 395 meet.

28. Brittany said on April 27, 2011

I was going to tell you Bud and Alley’s and Red Bar, but everyone else said them already!! Seaside is lovely-enjoy!!

29. johanna said on April 27, 2011

I generally detest most of Florida with it’s never ending strip malls and retirement communities, but Seaside is like a beautiful oasis amidst the tacky tourist beaches. The beaches are beautiful and edged right up next to the Town’s center. You can walk everywhere, and people actually live there, so you won’t get that Disney tourist vibe. I’d stick to the beaches, maybe ride bikes and enjoy the open air restaurants, bars and cute shops. It’s where they filmed the Truman Show. hehe

30. Ann said on April 27, 2011

thank you for the posting. husband and i are going to destin for a wedding in a couple of weeks which is close to seaside and we benefit from all the comments, too

31. Alexis said on April 28, 2011

I am so sad to miss Deja’s wedding :(… I will be thinking of you and so looking forward to a re-cap post ;)… please! oxo

32. joslyn said on April 28, 2011

ooh i think you’ve already left but we just got back from seaside for the 7th year …it is magical. you will have a great time!

get the gronola from raw and juicy and have dinner at red bar…food is ok but the atmosphere is very fun! sundog books is AMAZING!!!

you guys will have a blast!

33. charlane said on April 28, 2011

you have a lot of good advice here, nothing that i can add except have the donuts if you get to the donut shop, have the tacos at the taco bar and make sure you get something from the airstreams! it is so beautiful

34. Biz said on April 29, 2011

I grew up in Seaside! My best childhood memories are there :)

Be sure to go to Bud & Alley’s for a night out without baby.
    Walk to Modica Market for a big yummy cranberry muffin and OJ in the morning.
    If they have movies on the lawn, be sure to go! Baby will love!
    GREAT shopping at Persicacity — an open air shop along on the beach.

Enjoy! Jealous here :)