May 18, 2011

pretty strawberry-colored cake

I have to admit, in general I find the trend of rainbow-colored baked goods kind of disgusting. They are a bit cute, but honestly who wants to eat that much dye? And also, I think I’ve seen about 300 too many on Pinterest at this point. (Not to say that I don’t appreciate the ingenuity of the first few on the internet, of course.)

HOWEVER. The strawberry cake from Bertha’s Kitchen in Charleston in this month’s Saveur does appeal to my love of monochromatic things:

I kind of love it. Enough so that I *might* even consider making one if the occasion arose. I’m a waffler, what can I say.

Also, for the record, these variations (here and here) are awfully pretty.

comments

1. olivia said on May 18, 2011

I totally agree — the rainbow thing is just too much. But THIS, on the other hand, is perfection. My grandmother’s 80th birthday party is Friday and I’m making the cake. Coincidentally, strawberry is her favorite! I’ll let you know how it turns out…

2. moxiemandie said on May 18, 2011

That is SO pretty! I actually love the photos of the rainbow cakes, but just that- the photos! If I ever made something like that, it would be 95% for pretty photos & then I’d most likely take a bite or two and then let it get hard & throw it away. ;)

I love pretty photos. ;)

3. Desi said on May 18, 2011

that appeals to the strawberry lover in me and the 5 year old that wanted to bake with the babysitter right after my parents left.

4. Sandy said on May 18, 2011

Yes, I agree with you. It looks (and probably tastes) so unnatural. I am not a fan of such kind of food. I like the strawberry cake, though.

5. rebecca said on May 18, 2011

it’s like red velvet, but actually looks delicious.

6. Caroline said on May 18, 2011

That cake is heavenly!!

7. katie said on May 18, 2011

This cake is beautiful, very lux!
    Still in love with that rainbow cake that has been floating around the blogs….(yes to the dye…yuck), but I can’t get over those layers of color!!

8. Katy said on May 20, 2011

I agree. I pinned a rainbow cake months ago, but now I am sick of the idea. It is the Justin Bieber of baked goods. I am saving this strawberry cake recipe though..looks yum and far more appetizing and less chemical!

9. Jen said on May 24, 2011

Love that you posted a real strawberry cake. My son for his 4th birthday is asking for a strawberry cake and orange frosting. I’m trying to figure out how to make the very best version of that.

10. katie said on May 25, 2011