June 28, 2011

A Saturday evening baby shower

Basically every party I throw is exactly the same, but I don’t really get tired of it. Because I do love the rustic, don’t I? We hosted Melanie & Sky’s baby shower on Saturday in the backyard.

It was fun and festive and actually, now that I’m thinking about it, not very “baby” at all. But I think everyone had a good time and there were all sorts of kidlets running beneath the adults’ feet, which made it great fun for Dashiell, especially.

Also, I didn’t take many photos because I forgot to charge my battery pre-party. Of course.

I realized I didn’t manage to post their invites yet! They were pretty cute. Perhaps I will shoot some photos of the few I have left if you’d like to see. Also, do you love our new turquoise wall? I do. Twas inspired by Mel and Sky’s nursery.

The one actual shower-type activity at the party involved sporting your guess for the baby’s gender on your person. I made a tons of little pink and blue poofs and glue-gunned safety pins to the backs so people could wear them on their shirts.

It was a Mexican theme, mostly because I wanted an excuse to order papel picado banners from AyMujer! on etsy. I love them, especially in kraft tissue. And also Tamara’s makes amazing tamales, which meant I didn’t have to cook.

The parents of honor. You can see that their house is divided in terms of the guess for who will be joining the family.

More peonies. I am addicted, I think.

A few of our littlest guests. Parties with kids are so fun!

Melanie posted a bunch of photos on her blog too, if you’d like to see more. Celebrating babies is the best.

comments

1. nicole b. said on June 28, 2011

So many great ideas here! I love the lapel flower pin/guess-the-gender idea & the family meal sign-up board. Congrats on a beautiful shower. The parents look so happy! xo.

2. Jamie said on June 28, 2011

This looks so fun! Less shower-y and more party-ish. Oh, and I think I need a big chalkboard like your meal-planning display. I bet that board comes in mega-handy when playing hostess.

3. michelle said on June 28, 2011

I love the idea of wearing pink and blue blooms on the lapel, great idea!

4. Andrea said on June 28, 2011

Even though it’s not “so baby-ish” I love this party! You can never have too many peonies & the banners are beautiful!

5. Cara said on June 29, 2011

What a beautiful party, all of those chalkboards and peonies are so charming!

6. Liz said on June 29, 2011

peonies and those sweet lapel pins – what’s not to love? joy joy joy.

7. Rachel (heart of light) said on June 30, 2011

It’s so sweet, Kristina! I love those lapel flowers especially. And the kraft paper papel picado.

8. brittany said on June 30, 2011

i’m dying for that ceramic drink dispenser, do you remember where it is from? its perfect!

9. Kristina said on June 30, 2011

Hi Brittany,

Isn’t it great? It’s from Pottery Barn (just picked it up on Saturday morning for the party) and it was on sale! I don’t see it on their site, but it’s basically this without monogramming:

10. Heather said on July 2, 2011

I love un-baby baby showers! This looks like a beauty & fun event!

11. katya said on July 4, 2011

i love that turquoise wall. do you happen to know the color off hand? thanks!

12. Lindsey said on July 4, 2011

LOVE the party! It looks simply wonderful. I’d love to see the invites….and over on melanie’s blog it said that you made watermelon aqua fresca….what is it?! sounds amazing, do you have a recipe?!

13. rachel said on July 5, 2011

im crazy over your blog! i need you to come live in my house and create awsome things for me all the time! oh and i also need you to bring dash, he’s the cutest thing in the world. i was also wondering if you could send me a pinterest invite? i saw your post about the rainbow cakes and it got me interested. if you could that would me amazing!

14. Christina said on July 8, 2011

LOVE this, I too am addicted to Peonies!

I’m throwing a Friday night baby shower in August and I’m totally going to use some of your fabulous ideas!

xoxo

15. Victoria said on July 31, 2011

Love this shower. What a beautiful, sweet and simple day:)