July 13, 2011

The simplest of summer meals

Oh, hello. Is anyone still there? Apologies for sporadic posting! I’m sad when I don’t post too. But this is a delicious little recipe that will hopefully tide you home gardeners over for a few days. I know you’re always looking for ways to use zucchini and basil. And as part of my mission to really eat everything we grow this year, so am I.

The first time I made this, I came up with the “recipe” whilst the water was boiling for the pasta. Srsly. It’s that simple. And it really tastes like summer, at least around these parts. The most important thing is that everything is ready to go before you start cooking the pasta/as the pasta is finishing. Timeliness is of great importance in the dish – as in you want to eat it when it’s super hot and fresh and melty and buttery.

Pasta with zucchini tomatoes and basil

Summer pasta with squash, tomatoes, and burrata
(Quantities and ingredients are loose, kay? It’s really a throw together sort of thing)

Pasta in any shape you like

summer squash cut very thin or preferably with a mandoline
perfectly ripe tomatoes (I used small ones, but that’s because I like small ones)
lots of basil, torn
green beans (if you have them growing too) cut however you prefer them
burrata
parmesean
butter (kind of a lot)
lightly toasted walnuts
salt and pepper

Boil as much pasta as you need in salted water. When the pasta is almost done, add the super thin squash and green beans and cook for just a few minutes. Al dente is better with these veggies. Dump everything into a colander and drain, then transfer to a bowl big enough for tossing together the rest of the ingredients. While the pasta is still piping hot, add a few tablespoons of butter (at least) and mix to coat. Plus a bit of sea salt. Might as well. Then add the sliced tomatoes, torn basil, (and other herbs if you have them!) and walnuts. Add a bit more salt and a few grinds of pepper.

Taste.

You might need to add a bit more butter or a bit more salt. Then grate a mountain of Parmigiano-Reggiano over the whole mess and toss again. Then, I think this is the best way, serve portions into lovely Heath pasta bowls and add loosely torn pieces of burrata to each serving. Otherwise I fear the burrata may be lost in the shuffle and that’s no good at all. You can also add a bit more parmesean, salt, or pepper just before serving. Just make it taste good!

We had it the other night with leftover cucumber sour cream salad (odd pairing, I admit) and garlic bread á la Brock. He was excited to think that his bread would make it on the blog. Look honey! It did!

Also should share, this doesn’t keep THAT well. I mean it keeps fine, but it’s nowhere near as good the second day so if at all possible just make what you’ll be eating in one sitting.

comments

1. ClareT said on July 13, 2011

Sorry Kristina, what is burrata? I’m from the UK if that explains my lack of knowledge!! Thanks

2. mrs. may said on July 13, 2011

Uh, love this… looks so tasty!

And do share the recipe for this cucumber sour cream salad! It looks super yummy!

3. Caroline said on July 13, 2011

Sounds so delicious!!

4. Kristina said on July 13, 2011

Hi Clare! Burrata is a type of fresh mozzarella that is impossibly creamy and delicious. I’m sure it’s available in the UK.

Also as an update, NPR just did a story on a bunch of yummy looking summer pastas. Yum!

5. sara said on July 13, 2011

yum!
    i’ve got everything growing in the backyard… well, everything green. and red.

can’t wait to try this!
    xx

6. bridget said on July 13, 2011

i think im making that tonight. or a close variation anyway!

7. jora said on July 13, 2011

mmm. i will def. try this soon. too much squash and basil already. ;-) and i LOVE that brock is excited his garlic bread made it to the blog. too cute!!

8. Jamie said on July 13, 2011

This looks delicious! We have been enjoying veggie/pasta/quinoa mixtures around these parts as well. Oh, and when is garlic bread NOT a perfect side dish?!

9. Marty J. Christopher said on July 13, 2011

I’m going to try this! I love it when you post these types of recipes, Kristina! In fact, you posted another recipe like this a long time ago for a radish and avocado salad. I totally made that tonight with my freshly plucked (finally) radishes. I took it to a friend’s house for dinner and they loved it! We had to wait a while longer until the baby bunnies left. Yes, we had baby bunnies in the garden. It was simultaneously fun and heartbreaking (still not sure how much damage they did to the turnips). Here’s the post with pics of my garden and the bunnies:

10. lesley graham said on July 14, 2011

just my jam. looks like summer on a plate!

11. Lyndsey said on July 14, 2011

oooh, can you share the recipe for the cucumber sour cream salad? Just received a bunch of cukes i’m not sure what to do with!

12. Kimberly said on July 21, 2011

This meals looks amazing! I have it saved to my desktop now to remind myself to eat a lighter summer fare. :)