August 4, 2011

Birth in rural Nepal

I’ve been reading The Baby Project on NPR for a few months. I find it endlessly fascinating to follow women through the last part of their pregnancy and to hear how and when their babies were born. Anyone else been reading along?

This gorgeous story about birth in rural Nepal popped up on Saturday and I thought some of you might enjoy it. Okay, the story isn’t gorgeous, it’s kind of sad, but the photos are just amazing. Particularly the last one. Women all over the world labor the same way. Isn’t that extraordinary? I mean it’s obvious I guess, but not really.

I’m not going to say I’m obsessed with pregnancy and labor and birth, but I’m severely into it. It’s just so BIG, you know?

comments

1. mercie said on August 4, 2011

my husband is from nepal and his mother was just telling me the other day about living there and how some women would go into the fields to give birth-alone! granted, this was the 70s, but STILL. it’s all so amazing. i will definitely read this story. thanks for sharing.

2. jamie said on August 4, 2011

i know. TOTALLY.

3. jora said on August 4, 2011

i MUST check this out. completely share your obsession (?) with birth and pregnancy and mothering. it’s weird….i’m done with pregnancy and birth (sniff sniff) but i swear i could never do it enough times. i do not want to parent any more children (hello cup runneth over!!) but there is something magical/powerful beyond words about the pregnancy and birth part that always leaves me wanting more.

4. blake said on August 4, 2011

wow, that last one. minus the sari, that was me. must check this out.

5. you are super pretty said on August 4, 2011

kristina – have you seen that film called babies? it’s on netflix. it focuses on 4 babies from different parts of the world… fascinating, and right up your alley, i think.

6. Lyndsey said on August 5, 2011

I’m a religious reader of your blog Kristina, but I just wanted to point out that women in Nepal face lots of hardships during birth: less than 20% of woman have a skilled attendant present during labor and over 80% give birth at home. This is scary stuff that shouldn’t be happening anywhere in the world in 2011.

7. redfrizzz said on August 5, 2011

I’ve been listening to the broadcast of the series on my radio religiously. I’m loving the reporting, but deeply frustrated that NPR has yet to report on American obstetrics and the country’s discrepancies in recording maternal death, the obscene section rate, and the use of unnecessary interventions.
    This story was particularly interested in that the trained attendant appears to have delivered with the mother lying flat on her back, which is not the ideal birth position for anyone, let a lone a breech baby.
    Beautiful story. The mother’s disappointment in another girl is heartbreakingly…ironic? Here a hugely strong mama has delivered her second baby, and her community does not recognize the enormous power of another woman being brought into the world…
    Thanks for sharing.

8. Maria @ Orchard Bloom said on August 6, 2011

Thanks for sharing this. I did’t know about the series, but now I am hooked!

9. Kristina said on August 6, 2011

@jora – maybe you need a fourth? Your babies are awfully cute.

@you are super pretty – I have! It’s great.

@lyndsey – that’s exactly what the story is about. The story itself is a bit sad, but the images are beautiful!

@redfrizz – totally.