September 12, 2011

How to make salsa verde

Here’s the delicious green version of my authentic salsa recipe. It’s so so yummy. And just as simple as the roja.

One note about quantities – I’m not exactly sure how many tomatillos to suggest. The ones in the store are really big, and so far I’ve only made the recipe with tomatillos from our garden, which are really small. I’m going to say that the larger size from the store is about half as big as a regular tomato, so if you need 4 tomatoes for the red recipe, let’s say you need 8 tomatillos for the green. Maybe 9 or 10 to be safe?

Salsa Verde

8-10 larger tomatillos, or like 20-25 smaller ones (see note above).
2 cloves garlic
1 green jalapeño
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro leaves
sea salt

The preparation is exactly like the first salsa recipe, but you substitute tomatillos for the tomatoes, use the other color jalapeño, and add cilantro.

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Remove the husks from the tomatillos and rise them. Add the tomatillos and jalapeño to the pot and boil until all are soft enough to pierce easily with a fork.

Mash the garlic cloves in the Molcajete. Then add the cilantro and grind until a rough paste forms. Then add the jalapeño and combine, followed by the tomatillos – a few at a time.

Add sea salt to taste, and remember not to skimp!

Voila! Frickin’ delicious, people. DEE-LISH-US.

And if you’re tempted to buy a Molcajete, Jora found one at her local Mexican market for much less than Sur la Table. Thanks for the tip, J!

comments

1. pam said on September 12, 2011

i do love… making & eating salsa verde. Pretty anything mexican food related is my favorite. happy monday.

2. kat t said on September 12, 2011

YUM! N will be SO EXCITED if I make this salsa.

On a side note, did you season your molcajete at all? Mine’s my grandmother’s (a remnant from their time in Mexico – lava rock and everything), and I’ve heard from multiple sources that you should grind uncooked white rice into it to make it easier to wash (or something…). I’ve been hesitant to do it, because it’s definitely been used, is not at all funky/dirty, and I don’t want to ruin it. Advice?

Thanks!

3. Crystal said on September 12, 2011

YUM!! This looks delish…I think I’ll be making some fish tacos with some salsa verde on the side for dinner tonight.

4. Cara said on September 12, 2011

I was just thinking about your salsa recipe yesterday, definitely making this next weekend!

5. Deja said on September 12, 2011

This looks so yummy! Can we add this to our Manhattan party? Manhattans go perfectly with chips and salsa, right? :)

6. Camila Faria said on September 12, 2011

Uh, that sounds (and looks) amazing! So yummy!

7. blake said on September 12, 2011

this, with the red recipe, makes my day. I’ve always wanted to know how to make this legit stuff… it’s always so deceptively simple, right?

Oh, and my molcajete thanks you too. It was tired of making only aioli :)

8. Lina said on September 13, 2011

Wow! I was wondering too about seasoning the molcajete, mine was brought by my husband from a trip to mexico and he told me about seasoning but I haven’t, just wondering if you did!

9. fresh365 said on September 13, 2011

I am jumping up to make this right now–even though it is 9:30 am! I have had a handful of tomatillos sitting on my counter all week & I wasn’t sure what to do with them. So excited!

10. RCS said on September 13, 2011

For anyone who doesn’t own a molcajete, I make a remarkably similar salsa verde in my Cuisinart – just throw it all in and give it a whirl. (I also add some raw white onion and lime juice to mine.)

Also, if you live in the chip-deprived East Coast like me, it is remarkably easy to make your own tortilla chips thar much better than one you can buy in the grocery store (good chips and tortillas are one of the things I miss most about California…) – On a cutting board, brush one side of a yellow corn tortilla with oil, sprinkle with sea salt. Repeat with as many tortillas as you want, stacking the oiled and salted tortillas. Once you have a high stack, take a chef’s knife and cut the whole stack into wedges. Distribute the uncooked chips on a baking sheet (you will likley need to do batches) and bake at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, until chips are golden and crispy.

11. Dina said on September 13, 2011

Yum, this looks so delish!

12. johanna said on September 14, 2011

This looks delicious! I need one of those bowly things so I can be legit.

13. Desi said on September 15, 2011

rock star. thanks.

14. Kelsey said on September 16, 2011

Yum! Stay just a little bit longer summer…

15. Eva / Sycamore Street Press said on September 18, 2011

Delicious. This is always one of my favorites at the salsa bar.

16. Ridgely's Radar said on September 20, 2011

Yum! Thanks for sharing!

17. Colleen said on September 20, 2011

Perfect timing. I bought tomatillos today from our local farm andI was just checking my google ‘reader’ to see if you posted this recipe (I remembered you mentioning it sometime ago)….and there it was! I made it tonight. Delicious.

18. Melinda said on September 25, 2011

I have a molcajete, but after the first time i used it the mortar or pestle (i’m not sure which is which) got thrown away by accident. Anyone know where i can buy just that? It’s a bummer not being able to use it!

19. Elleby said on October 16, 2011

Someone forgot to tell my garden it’s October, so today I harvested a huge bowl of tomatillos and made this recipe. It was SO DELICIOUS – thank you for sharing!

20. c gutierrez said on September 30, 2012

Thanks to you for this recipe, but especially to your nanny Lucy! You’re right. Lucy is a genius.