October 3, 2011

Urban farms of Detroit

Anyone else hear this story about urban farming in Detroit on NPR? It’s pretty inspiring to imagine a city like Detroit dotted with small farms run by entrepreneurial citizens.

Love it.

Why can I never seem to keep up with my garden, when these people are farming ACRES?

comments

1. Ridgely's Radar said on October 3, 2011

Looks like hard work!

2. Katherine said on October 3, 2011

Didn’t hear about this particular report before now, but I have heard and read about similar trends in New England (where I live) towns and cities. Super encouraging and super inspiring!

3. sara said on October 3, 2011

i always think the same thing when i hear rad stories like this: um, if they can tend to that much land, surely i can maintain my little backyard, right?!

xo

4. Caroline said on October 3, 2011

YES I’ve heard of that story!! Thoroughly inspiring!

5. Marilena said on October 5, 2011

I’m from Detroit, so I’m happy to see that this caught your attention. I wrote about it here: http://movesincircles.blogspot.com/2011/06/urban-roots-movie-concept-way-to-revive.html a few months ago.

6. Karen said on July 17, 2012

I get goosebumps when I hear about urban gardening projects like these in Detroit and other big cities. I’m from Vermont, where you’d think we have abundant green space, anyway, but Burlington has had community gardens at Intervale for many years (because a city is a city — and backyard-less apartment buildings are backyard-less apartment buildings…). I currently live in Berlin, where the Prinzessinnengarten (http://www.smart-urban-stage.com/blog/future-of-the-city/city-soil/) project has been attracting a lot of attention since launching a few years back. In the community gardens on the old airfield at Tempelhof Airport, each little plot must provide a bench or other seating — and the tender of the plot doesn’t even have dibs on it! You wouldn’t believe the congenial, relaxed movement of people through that place every day. Great stuff. Thanks for posting!