November 18, 2011

The Conference of the Birds, by Peter Sis

Did any of you happen to catch the interview with Peter Sis on NPR Wednesday afternoon? His new book is so beautiful. Can you imagine the time and skill it must have taken to pen every one of those tiny little birds? It’s perhaps another book I will rationalize because I know that DASHIELL will truly enjoy it.

Also, it makes me realize that the paltry $100 I donate to KCRW each year is no where near enough, when I admit that I learn almost everything I know about news and music and culture by listening to 89.9 and reading NPR.org. (I am realistic with my time and needs, after all). I even bought a new album featuring the music of William Byrd, after hearing about it while running errands the other day.

The only thing I don’t rely on NPR for is an update on the Republican primary race. That comes directly from Jon Stewart, of course.

comments

1. sarah said on November 18, 2011

hee hee, me too!
    I loved that NPR segment, thanks for reminding me about it.

2. Rachel (heart of light) said on November 18, 2011

Yeah, we finally started up a monthly membership, to up it a bit. Of course, I *may* have been pushed into it because I can’t bear to miss the Good Food subscriber dinner every year and this year they were only offering it to monthly members. Still, feels good.

3. Jennifer said on November 18, 2011

You can also preorder a signed copy:

4. Rachel said on November 18, 2011

Can’t wait to get this book. Exactly: everything i know is from NPR or the Daily Show (and occasionally the new yorker and the Sunday NYT).

5. Kelsey said on November 22, 2011

Oh, I know! NPR deserves half my paycheck. I’m pretty sure all the interesting things I have to talk about at get-togethers begin with, “I heard this piece on NPR…”

6. Melissa said on November 22, 2011

sean called me immediately in the midst of this interview and told me to tune to npr NOW. so glad i did. but ashamed i do not have it constantly dialed in the background 24/7.