November 8, 2011

What to do with a toddler on a rainy day in LA

We entered our first rainy season with a toddler over the weekend. It coincided nicely with daylight savings time, which meant that by 9 am we’d already been up for hours and hours and had virtually exhausted our minimal resources for entertainment in the living room. But it actually ended up being a fantastic day.

We decided to pay visit to Noah’s Ark at the Skirball. You guys, if you’re in or near LA, you need to check it out. It’s really amazing.

The entire exhibit is full of animals made from found objects. They are amazing! And lots of them are interactive and can be powered by little hands. (See more photos on the Skirball site here.)

The lighting is all very soft and moody, which is sooo much nicer than bright and fluorescent. (Pay no attention to the fact that my child is wearing long underwear in public. It was a rain day!)

Loading the animals into the Ark!

Lots of small wood toys to play with, in addition to the big installations. And there’s tons of pretend play too! You can cook a meal and eat it at the table and even sweep up the camel poop. I’m telling you, it’s fantastic for little explorers.

Plus they have story time and musicians that stroll the galleries and and arts and crafts room. It’s really really fantastic.

If you’re planning to go, you should know that entry is timed and subject to availability. But you can reserve your slot online ahead of time! Definitely recommend it for a weekend. Especially a rainy day. See admission policies and tips here.

So much fun for little ones.

comments

1. sara said on November 8, 2011

this sounds rad! will have to work this in to our next jaunt to L.A.

looks like so much fun… dylan will love it!

2. Alicia said on November 8, 2011

Wow! I’m so happy you shared this! My 20 month old has recently taken a special liking to pretend play and she loves animals. What a fun experience this will be for her. I never would have known about this had you not posted. Thanks! :)

3. Desi said on November 8, 2011

That looks like so much fun. Makes me want to steal away with a friend and their toddler, so I don’t seem weird going all by myself;)

If anyone can pull off daytime long johns it’s Dash.

4. Ashley said on November 8, 2011

So funny you apologized about the pants because I love them–where are they from? The babies thermal pants from American apparel have a similar fit that I really like for our fella.

5. Kristina said on November 8, 2011

@sara – he will love it!

@alicia – you should go!

@desi – you’re too nice. Maybe you should be his honorary aunt.

@ashley – they’re patagonia! They come with a top/onesie too. And they run huge so this is the second winter dashiell has been wearing them.

6. Amanda said on November 8, 2011

WOW! This looks great! man if I lived in LA, I would def take my kiddos there- alas i’m stuck in non-kid friendly Vegas :(

xo
    Amanda

7. E. said on November 8, 2011

Awesome advice! Putting that on the to do list. Those beans..EGADS! I want to play.

8. size too small said on November 9, 2011

looks like a perfect rainy saturday spot. this is my biggest fear when i become a mom- what to do with them when they hit this age!

9. Amanda said on November 9, 2011

oh my goodness. I am so glad that you posted this. I am definitely going to take my little one there soon. amazing!

10. Ridgely's Radar said on November 10, 2011

Wow! Looks fun!

11. elizabeth antonia said on November 11, 2011

his pants are fantastic. i wish i could get away with wearing those!

this is one of our favorite spots. we try to go at least every six months – always something new for every stage of toddlerhood! xo

12. Jiyoonie said on November 13, 2011

awesome. thanks for the heads up :)