January 11, 2012

16 weeks

Some of you have already figured me out, but here’s the official announcement… Baby #2 is on the way! It’s the great baby influx of 2012, if you live my life. So many women I know are pregnant, and all due within a few months of each other. I know it’s just my age and place in life, but it feels like there’s something in the water. Something very good and very amazing and very lucky, when it all comes down to it.

Last time I was pregnant I was reluctant to turn this space into a mommy blog. PWWAAAHHAHHAAHAA. Of course this is a mommy blog! I’m a mama. So many things you just don’t know the first time around (and probably the second too). So this time I’m going to be all up in the pregnancy business, including (I mean why not, right?) weekly belly shots. They’re sooo satisfying on other people’s blogs, after all. And it’s so fun dressing a growing belly. It is so NOT fun dressing a post-partum body. Oh lord, I’m not looking forward to being fat for a year again. But whatevs, I get a baby.

Hopefully this explains my complete lack of posting for the entire fall. This time around, I was sick for the first few months. Not crippled with nausea or anything, but feeling very not well at times and generally meh at others. Which does not for extra energy make. And certainly doesn’t lend itself to being creative or caring about much in general. Plus I couldn’t cook because all food was repulsive, particularly anything with “fall flavors”. Ughh those were were a tough few weeks. I spent the better part of October and November eating strictly grapefruit. Luckily I’ve come out of that and only have a few lingering aversions to manage.

When you consider that I did a total of 35 sit ups in between pregnancies it shouldn’t be a huge surprise that I seem to growing much faster this time around. Those muscles were just waiting for good old relaxin to give them the go ahead to hang out. Which in some ways was very weird… last time I had months and months of mental preparation before I had to start negotiating a belly, this time I immediately looked pregnant. As in strangers asking about due dates and family and friends guessing before I could tell them. But in other ways it’s been fabulous because I didn’t have to endure months of looking thicker and thicker before I actually started to look preggo.

I’m also so much more sensitive to the world around, which I don’t remember last time. Like tearing up when I’m listening to NPR, not because it’s sad… just because it’s interesting. Pregnancy is strange and marvelous and mysterious all at the same time.

Trying not to freak out about the reality of having two children. And not sleeping again. Oh I’m so scared for the tiredness.

So, here we go.

(PS. What do we think of the bangs? I’m considering growing them out again, even though I’ve only had them for like 4 months. They require so much maintenance!)

Shirt: J. Crew. Jeans: Paige maternity jeggings, baby! (I love them.) Scarf: oldie but goodie from Madrid, circa 1999.

comments

1. Emily said on January 11, 2012

Yay for more babies! Congratulations!! Looking forward to the weekly belly shots. I’ve been such a slacker and taken maybe 4 belly shots my entire pregnancy. This gives me a hope I might get my act together for the 2nd :)

2. Desi said on January 11, 2012

congratulations. that’s amazing. i can’t wait to see another adorable brock & kristina join production.

on the bang front. i am alway cutting/growing out. i say grow those bad boys out while you are growing amazing hair. who has time to blow dry with a baby?

3. Kersey said on January 11, 2012

Congrats to the 3 of you! I’m sure your little guy will make a great older brother. So exciting!

4. dawn said on January 11, 2012

Congratulations! You look amazing.

5. Kelsey said on January 11, 2012

Kristina! Oh my! I suspected but what lovely news! You are the cutest.

6. sarah said on January 11, 2012

wooo hooo! I knew it :) You look fabulous! And Congrats! I am also pregnant, with my first (yay!!) and also not feeling well. It’s such a strange feeling, I used to loooove food and cooking and reading cookbooks and now even the word “soup” makes me dry-heave. ugh. I’m looking forward to being out of the 1st trimester.

Can’t wait to read more about your pregnancy!

7. JenGil said on January 11, 2012

Congratulations! I so enjoy reading you — you write in such a way that when I’m reading I feel like I’m listening to a friend. Thank you for sharing and being so truly enjoyable! I smiled through this entire post.

8. logan said on January 11, 2012

Congratulations!!!! You look great!!!

9. nicole b. said on January 11, 2012

Aww, congrats! (I had a hunch, too! *wink*) You look amazing! You always have great style (pregnant or not), so I’m looking forward to weekly bump and outfit posts!

p.s. I’m a fan of the bangs, but I have blunt bangs, too, so I’m biased! xo.

10. betsy said on January 11, 2012

Yay Congrats! What a blessing for you guys!

11. Suzanne said on January 11, 2012

lovely lovely! many congratulations to you all.
    i’ve just now had my first so i am IN AWE.
    i think i agree with Desi above, let the bangs grow while your hair is pregnancy lush.

12. Shannon said on January 11, 2012

Congrats! You seem to be about 6 months ahead of me on your baby schedule both last time and this time. :) I look forward to all the pregnancy stuff and thank you for admitting you felt fat for a whole year afterward too! On the bangs I say grow them out. I don’t know if you get to a point in your pregnancy when you suddenly have a fat face (mine was at about 7.5 months) but I imagine no bangs would be more flattering. Best wishes!

13. mandie said on January 11, 2012

congratulations!!! Oh, and I love the bangs- adorable.

14. blake said on January 11, 2012

yay!!! totally knew it :) so excited for you and super stoked you’ll be posting belly shots. if they’re as cute as this first installment, then that’s just aces :) love the bangs, love the belly, and the happy face! congrats!

15. Elena Kovyrzina said on January 11, 2012

Kristina, Congratulations! I am so happy for you!!
    I am a long time reader of you blog and now a mommy myself :)

16. bigBANG studio said on January 11, 2012

Lady, CONGRATS!!! Oh my god this is such exciting news, I am so thrilled you’ll be sharing more of the preggers stories this time ’round, and HULLO, the bangs are GORGEOUS in that 70s California sex bomb kinda way that you just ROCK. Keep ‘em. Adorving.

Hip-hip hooray for baby number two! xoxo

17. sara said on January 11, 2012

weeeeeeeeeeee!!
    super duper exciting news!!
    congratulations…

and you look too cute with the bangs to grow ‘em out… but i had bangs when dylan was born – which i promptly grew out because new baby meant swapping my blow dryer for bobby pins and headbands!
    i wished i grew them out while i was pregnant and my hair was at its peak of radness and not during the postpartum thin-out.
    but it’s just hair… cut/grow/cut/grow. it’s part of the fun.

congratulations again!
    so happy for you.
    xx

18. holly said on January 11, 2012

congrats! this is wonderful news :)

19. jamie said on January 11, 2012

yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

20. Lisa Fyfe said on January 11, 2012

Congratulations! I look forward to hearing about pregnancy the second time around. I love mama talk and belly shots! LOVE the bangs and the outfit. You look happy and lovely.

21. Shannyn said on January 11, 2012

That is so wonderful, congrats!! I love your blog, I can’t wait for baby updates =)

22. Jessica C said on January 11, 2012

congrats! I definitely don’t mind Mama talk!

23. shalini said on January 11, 2012

Congratulations! You look lovely.

Laughing at what you said about doing only 35 sit ups between pregnancies…..sounds just like me :-)

24. Kristina said on January 11, 2012

You guys, I think you might be right about growing the bangs out now while I can. And before I barely have time to shower, let alone blow dry. Hmmm. Such good points. Also, sweaty bangs in labor? Not sounding ideal.

Thanks so much for all the well wishes! And congrats to those of you who are also pregs, whether you mentioned it or not. It’s so fun to know there are other women out there doing the same thing.

25. Maggie said on January 11, 2012

Congratulations! Wonderful news, and I think it’s great you’re going to blog about it this time around!

26. Alison said on January 11, 2012

YES!! Congratulations. I love the magic and mystery of pregnancy. So, so, so happy for you! I can’t wait for the prego-blogging. BRING IT ON! PS: love the bangs.

27. Erin said on January 11, 2012

congrats! There is nothing like a pregnancy announcement to brighten the day! You will be wonderful as a mama of two. I just had my third and it’s so true what they say, your heart just gets bigger. Best wishes to you for a wonderful pregnancy!

28. Cara said on January 11, 2012

Ah, this just makes my day! So happy for you. What a strange thing for humans – to be strangers and still be able to share in each other’s joy. But I love it.

My little girl is almost 6 months (born within days of Melanie’s). I can’t believe it though as it seems I was just where you are – pregnant and full of anticipation. I enjoyed following your journey with Dashiell before I even had one of my own, and I’m glad you’ll be sharing this journey with #2. Your lucky to have so many friends in the same position. I’m ahead of most of my ‘real life’ friends, so If it weren’t for bloggers, I think I’d feel like the only one with a baby on the planet!

29. joslyn said on January 11, 2012

oh congrats lady!!!!!! so, so awesome.
    I have to say, i LOVE having two kiddos…love. it.

and i’m totally digging the bangs.

xxoo

30. Linda said on January 11, 2012

Congratulations, I remember when you posted about thinking about #2… I’m excited for you and especially because I am 14 weeks. I always enjoy visiting the pregnant around the same time as me blogs. Thanks for sharing and accepting your mommy blog status :-) You’re a cool mom so its all good.

Yay for babies!

31. Kailey E said on January 11, 2012

I am so happy for you, congrats!
    Been following your blog for quite a while and it’s beautiful as always.

32. Katie said on January 11, 2012

CONGRATS! I have been following your blog for years & have referenced it for food, fashion & all things preggo & baby when I was pregnant this last year. This is very exciting and I’m eager to hear how it goes being pregnant while already having a little one on the go (I was so incredibly tired while pregnant), and extremely eager to hear how it is with a little one & a new born!!! You look beautiful, excited to see the weekly belly pics. I loved dressing my bump & often miss it.
    Cheers :-)

33. sally mae said on January 11, 2012

Aaaah! Congrats!!! I just had baby #1 6 weeks ago – so exciting and marvelous.

34. Jen said on January 11, 2012

How wonderful! I knew something was up ;) Like Cara, I’m the first of my friends to have rocked a baby bump, so it was wonderful to read about other preggo ladies on the interwebs. I had forgotten that you have a Dashiell…I have a Dashiell of my own, born 10 weeks ago. (P.S. I found it on a name blog and didn’t think it was popular, but all of a sudden I’m hearing it left and right?!) Just today I blogged about how I miss being pregnant sometimes. Nowhere near having another babe, but I am curious how it will be different/same the next time around. Congratulations…you look beautiful!

35. Clare Frejd said on January 11, 2012

Congrats! Totally guessed it :)
    I love your blog, have followed it through wedding, baby…etc. we seem to be in the same phase of life!

36. Lisa said on January 11, 2012

Yay! I am so excited for you! And, I must confess, slightly jealous too…your son and my daughter share a birthday (including year) so I’ve always felt a bit of a mommy-connection to you in reading your blog because we’ve been going through many of the same baby-turned-kiddo things and now we are planning for #2 too (longest sentence ever). Had a close call back in August and turned out we aren’t pregnant yet but I still kinda wish we already were, especially now reading that you are about that far along (2nd longest sentence ever). It would’ve been fun to follow along your blog, pregnant together again. But soon enough, I hope… Best wishes to you and your family on this next leg of your exciting journey!

37. Katie said on January 11, 2012

I’m actually kind of jealous that you have a belly. I’m 19 weeks and I still look bloated. And I have to say I’m excited for more mommy blogging!

38. veronica said on January 11, 2012

so excited for you! i have an 18 month old and you were such a help to me along the way and after. i am not yet brave enough to even consider a second, but you make it all seem so easy! i wish you all good things to come and i can’t wait to read all about it! xo

39. Rachel said on January 11, 2012

Wonderful news! Beautiful pic. And I love the bangs.

40. Rachel said on January 11, 2012

p.s. I lived in my paige maternity jeans when I was preggers. best ever!

41. emily said on January 11, 2012

Great hair!! Bravo.

42. Kristy Hatton said on January 11, 2012

Yea Kristina and Brock! How lovely and exciting. I remember when you wrote the blog post about when to have baby #2. I have to admit, I am so freaked out to even go there. Griffin is 18 months in a few days, and things just seem to be getting a tad easier. How can I juggle two, and get fat again??!! So, please be my guinea pig and let me know how it goes. You two make great babies, and you look so gorgeous pregnant. Congratulations again and again!

43. Lyann said on January 11, 2012

Congrats, you look wonderful! And I love the bangs. You are right, such hard work fringe.

44. you are super pretty said on January 11, 2012

love the hair! love the bump! xo.

45. Sophie said on January 12, 2012

You look beautiful, congratulations on baby number 2 being on her/his way! Having a three month old I quickly came to the conclusion that sleep is overrated and baby smile attacks in the middle of the night severely underrated.

46. Martha said on January 12, 2012

Congratulations! Fantastic news. (Love the bangs.)

47. Julie Lee said on January 12, 2012

Congrats! You look absolutely radiant. :)

48. Ann said on January 12, 2012

Congrats on #2. My number 2 is 7-months. I can’t believe how fast the time is flying with the second baby. Way too busy to savor every moment like I did with baby #1. However, moments of the two interacting together is what I savor now!!
    I had bangs for baby #2 labor. It was a major concern of mine going into labor. I made sure my husband had bobby pins in his wallet in case I didn’t have time to get them back. Sweat and bangs don’t go well together. I’m in the midst of growing out my bangs. With 2, it’s just too hard to maintain….love them, but they must go….

49. alyson said on January 12, 2012

I was WAITING for this announcement!! somehow I just knew. :) congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet Dash will be the best big brother!

and I LOVE the bangs!!! so so good.

50. Nancy VanM said on January 12, 2012

So exciting, congrats! And you look adorable, btw.

51. Connie said on January 12, 2012

Congratulations!! I’m currently expecting my first, and your blog has been an ongoing source of inspiration for me (and potentially helped me decide on the whole cloth diaper thing, amongst others!)

You’re so right…there’s something in the water right now…baby boom of 2012? Everyone I know seems to be expecting right now :-D

Looking forward to reading more about this little one, congratulations again!

52. Heidi said on January 12, 2012

Eeeeh! so wonderful! It is seriously a baby boom. I know 8 friends (with #2), one client and now 3 wedding colleagues. un-be-lievable. I’ll continue drinking bottled water a little longer ;) heheh.

53. Rachel (heart of light) said on January 12, 2012

Congratulations, dear!

I love the bangs on you, but you also have a great forehead (is that a totally weird thing to say?). I guess I would say that you look cuter with bangs, more sophisticated without? Snap judgement based entirely on me scrolling between this photo + your profile photo.

54. madilla said on January 12, 2012

:) Congratulations!
    I’m 15 weeks.
    I still remember when I started to read your blog around the time you where pregnant the first time. It made me daydream how it would be to expect a baby. And then when I got pregnant last year and gave birth in November it was so much fun to see your boy grow (as my first is a boy as well) and look a bit ahead for what to expect raising a child.

55. Jenna G. from NC said on January 12, 2012

Congratulations! I started reading your blog a few months pre-Dash. I’ve been a loyal follower ever since. So happy for your family and baby #2! My little son, Oliver, turns 1 in three short weeks! Time flies when you are having fun!.

56. elise said on January 12, 2012

so excited for you!

57. Shayna said on January 12, 2012

Congratulations! I’ve loved the addition of “mommy” posts to your blog. It’s fun to see how bloggers whom I follow incorporate kids and all that comes with them into their worlds.

ps- you look fantastic!

58. Christy said on January 12, 2012

YAY! Congrats beautiful!

59. elisabeth said on January 12, 2012

Oh, this is going to make ignoring my current state of baby fever so hard. Not quite ready for number two, but getting close.

Congrats to you!

60. Kate (taste area) said on January 12, 2012

Keep the bangs!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! I ate oranges all the time in my second pregnancy cause they made me feel better during the nausea of the first three months..you won’t realize how fast time passes at the second pregnancy. It is incredible.

61. madilla said on January 13, 2012

What is it with oranges and mandarins? Its really the only thing that made me feel ok.

62. Jenn said on January 13, 2012

Wonderful!! Congrats!

63. Leslie said on January 13, 2012

Look how cute you are!!! I love the idea of weekly belly pics, especially since I don’t get to see you nearly as often as I’d like. xoxo, one of your many preggo friends

64. meaghan curry said on January 13, 2012

oh, kristina. so many congratulations. I have long followed your blog and each post always brings a little piece of beauty or food for thought. I love what you wrote above. And, I can’t wait to see your pregnancy style posts. you have heaps of it! those stripes!

I think that I stumbled upon your blog back when I was updating my own at loveliest days. I took a supreme hiatus from that little venture my first babe arrived. I’m currently trying for our second and since the first bundle took a while, I might have to revisit that space.

p.s. your bangs are killer!

65. bridget said on January 13, 2012

congraulations kristina!!!! you look gorgeous. no surprise there. cant wait for the weekly shots. i love them (naturally, as i did them too). they’re so fun to look back on too. when i do now i’m shocked: “that was PARKER in there?!? holy cow!”

66. Rebecca Brams said on January 13, 2012

Official Congrats! You look so cute! I’m hoping for a less-sleepless start this time for you!

67. Melissa said on January 14, 2012

absolutely thrilled for you! and those bangs are sassy and fun! you look amazing!!!!

68. Ros said on January 14, 2012

Congratulations!
    You looks blooming lovely xx

69. louise lynch said on January 14, 2012

Congratulations! I thought you looked particularly radiant the last time I saw you. I am so excited for you three (almost four !) Oh, and I am a big fan of the bangs.

70. sara said on January 14, 2012

horray! you look gorgeous!

71. Meg said on January 14, 2012

I *thought* that might be the case. The TOTAL lack of posting was not like you at all. YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! Congratulations, lady. A mom of TWO. How crazy is that???

72. redfrizzz said on January 15, 2012

AHHH!!! HUZZAH!!!

73. eli said on January 16, 2012

WOOO ! (long time reader, first time poster) i’ve been wondering when you guys were going to start cooking up another. congrats !

74. Ashleigh said on January 17, 2012

Yay for babies!!! You look gorgeous! Congratulations & so glad to hear you’re feeling well now!

75. Darci said on January 17, 2012

Congratulations, Kristina!!! So excited for you and hope everything goes smoothly. I was really sick up until about 20 weeks, and citrus fruits were all that seemed to work for me, too. The good news is I just woke up one day and felt fine, so hopefully those days are past you!

76. Erinn said on January 17, 2012

Such a lucky baby! So happy to hear this news!

77. charley said on January 17, 2012

hey, just stopped by yr blog to “check in” on you… you look so cute! i’m 25 weeks now, a bit ahead of you but thought about you the other day after seeing you over the holidays. looks like you are doing great and enjoying the pregnancy. xxo

78. Alexis said on January 18, 2012

so excited for you… you are going to be the most amazing mama of 2… it is double everything… the good {watching little people you made laugh at each other} and the bad {no sleep, obviously ;)}…

YOU LOOK AMAZING. STUNNING!

79. Nicole said on January 19, 2012

So exciting, congratulations!

80. mau said on January 20, 2012

Congratulations! You look fantastic! We had our second daughter seven months ago and, like you, I was dreading the sleepless nights. My first wasn’t a good sleeper to say the least. But baby Robin surprised us. She’s the best baby ever and although she wakes up for feeds, goes back to sleep straight after and never cries at night (fingers crossed she keeps it up!). Good luck!

81. Bonnie @ carolinapostcard said on January 22, 2012

That’s so awesome – congrats! And of course you look adorable. I loved keeping up with your first pregnancy so keep all the good momma info coming!

82. danette said on January 23, 2012

congrats, how exciting! enjoy this time with just Dashiell, it will feel weird at first when you bring the new one home but they will be best friends quicker than you can realize…and you look beautiful!

83. Drea said on May 2, 2012

I love your bump pic and blog :)
    gave you a shout out today: http://dreawood.com/2012/05/week-16-baby-4/