January 4, 2012

Catching up

How about a big post recapping the last few weeks? THEN I’ll really start posting again. I will.

We had a long and relaxing trip to San Diego for Christmas. Spending time with the whole family, at three different houses, and seeing friends we haven’t in a long while. Mostly I have pictures of Dashiell in his pajamas, but no one ever ties of those, right?

Early Christmas morning. He still loves to push things, more than anything else.

Adorable bear slippers from my parents (“bear shhhooos”), rivaled only by these Hanna Andersson buckaroo PJs from Brock’s mom (on super sale, btw!).

Someone spent all of Christmas day in his PJs. And found real bulldozers (boo-dah-dah!) near Brock’s dad’s house.

We got to spend a little time with this muffin, and her mom and dad. Though I was horribly sick and couldn’t hold her. Which sucked.

A gorgeous evening at the beach with Brock’s bro turned positively gloomy in the space of 10 minutes when a monster fog bank rolled in. It was kind of neat.

Dashiell loves this mushroom bowling set from our friend Carol. He doesn’t even care about the bowling part yet. Lining up the mushrooms in a row is plenty good.

Making Molly’s red lentil soup with lemon, after having it for lunch at Jora’s house last week. It’s so simple and delicious, and a big hit with Dashiell. Will be part of a weekly rotation for a while, I think.

And now we’re back, enjoying soups and homegrown broccoli and watching the winter flowers from the kitchen window, and looking forward to all the possibilities for 2012. I love this time of year. I used to find it sort of sad and depressing… so much quiet after a month of festivities and all. But now I find it more inspiring than ever. Definitely already been to the Container Store, already cleaned out toys (aye the influx of toys at Christmas!), cleaned out drawers, piled up things in the garage to craigslist. I’d love to have all of January each year just to get things in order.

Dashiell has spent the last two weeks learning literally like 200 words. It’s amazing. Everyone says that one day it just clicks, but you think… huh. I don’t see that. And then one day all the sounds come together and your baby is talking. Putting two and three words together even (though they’re a little garbled much of the time), and it’s so neat.

Here’s to hoping that we all have a big year. See you soon. Promise.

comments

1. Desi said on January 4, 2012

Dash and I have the same holiday style. I love my pajamas and slippers. Sometimes I even try to incorporate pajama like pants from Anthro into day wear;)

2. christina said on January 4, 2012

kristina!!! love this post…i need to do the same:
    a. a catch up post
    b. blog more

ha ha…dashiell is so big…even from when we saw him last…it was only a couple months ago, right? let’s do another meet up soon, my dear!
    xox

ps. beatrice has the same alligator push car! i found it thrifting for $5 bucks! love it!!

3. Brittany said on January 4, 2012

That photo with the fog in outstanding and I love those little mushroom bowling pins:) very cute!

Wishing you a happy new year,

Brittany

4. blake said on January 4, 2012

oh, so much good stuff here. and so much I recognize (fog rolling in like a wall? yup.) … totally with you on the magic and peace of January. I just need a bowl of that soup to power through the reinventing and refreshing! hope you have a wonderful 2012 :)

5. Kristina said on January 4, 2012

@Desi – I’m still wearing my PJs today. Oy. Must change.

@christina – we do! They grow sooo fast.

@Brittany – you too!

@blake – I was totally reminded of SF! The fog monster. Make the soup. It’s divine.

6. jamie said on January 5, 2012

sooooooo cute.

@christina you savy thrifter!

i have been thinking of buying H a push car. either the alligators or spend more on this http://www.naturebaby.com/us/wooden-trolley-p-346.html so he can put stuff in it?

ps i finally made your egg salad and have been eating it for breaky. yum.

7. Jamie said on January 5, 2012

Happy new year! My Levi is 14 months and the linguistics aspect of his development is just starting to show up. Not speaking much, but it is AMAZING how many words he understands and responds correctly to. Love. This.

Also, would love a post (or a few) about baby/kid-friendly veggie dishes. I seem to always be making the same things for Levi and would love inpsiration!

8. Kristina said on January 5, 2012

@Jamie – putting things in the cart is a definitely plus!

This one is a pretty sweet deal at $20:

9. robyn said on January 5, 2012

incredible pictures! especially that one with the fog rolling in…