January 20, 2012

How to make homemade almond milk

Here’s a little secret about making almond milk… you don’t actually need a Vitamix. Some of you commented that making almond milk was a great reason to buy one. It IS. It does make it much easier and fancier. But I’ve been making it for years with a regular old Oster blender and it works fine.

So, that being said, I thought I’d share my recipe. The one thing you do need is a nut milk bag. Some people claim you can use cheesecloth, but don’t bother. You’ll have grainy almond milk and it will be so frustrating to make that you’ll never do it again. So first, order one up online. The one I have right now is my second, and I actually bought it from Vitamix before I had one. I figured they would probably have the best one since you know, they’re Vitamix. The first one I bought years ago from a random raw foods website and it was just okay, and then eventually split open in the middle of the main operation. My new one is big and fabulous and strong and makes the whole process super easy.

Raw Almond Milk

1 cup raw almonds
4 cups filtered water + more for soaking almonds
sweetener of choice – maple syrup, agave, cinnamon, etc

Soak 1 cup of almonds overnight (or all day) in a bowl of filtered water.

Strain and rinse soaked almonds (they are delicious at this point, try one!). Dump them into your blender with the 4 cups of filtered water.

Blend on high for 5 minutes.

Place the nutmilk bag in a bowl (preferably in the sink), and empty the blender into the bag.

Squeeze the milk through the bag into the bowl (kind of like, I assume, milking a cow?). The almond meal will stay in the bag and you’ll be left with just the yummy milk.

Now rinse the blender and the lid. Pour the milk back into the blender and add the sweetener of your choice. I usually add a few tablespoons of maple syrup, maybe a squeeze of agave, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Blend again for a minute.

And that’s it. Yummy milk that’s actually better the next day once the foam has settled and the flavors have mixed together. I’ve been adding it to coffee and tea, eating it in cereal, and drinking it by the glassful through the day.

If you DO have a Vitamix of another high capacity blender, you can up the portions of almonds and water so you end up with more milk. I usually use 1 1/2 cups of almonds and 6 cups of water. This fills the Vitamix to capacity, which honestly is a huge plus with this type of blender. So much more space! I used to have to blend the milk in batches, which just made the whole process longer and less streamlined.

You can also use the same formula to make milk from different nuts. I’ve make brazil nut milk before and it was delicious too. Make some this weekend!

comments

1. Meg said on January 20, 2012

Thanks for this! I’ve made almond milk before but I honestly had no clue there were nut milk bags! That will make it so much easier. I love your blog, such beauty and great ideas. Thank you.

2. Desi said on January 20, 2012

I love making almond milk. Hazelnut is good too. I only have a Magic Bullet blender right now and it still works.

Thanks for that nut milk bag link. I have been holding off buying one because I only saw the nylon versions out there, which bust super easy.

3. holly said on January 20, 2012

do you reuse the filtered water from the bowl holding the soaking almonds for the blender? or is it new filtered water?

4. Ren Lady Of The Arts said on January 20, 2012

I’ve always wanted to try this- great photos too.

5. Christin said on January 20, 2012

This might be a silly question, but could you use a juicer after you soak the almonds?

6. sally mae said on January 20, 2012

I am totally getting a “nutmilk” bag. Thank you for posting this!

And, super congrats on baby #2. I was hoping to see a baby bump today! ;)

7. heather said on January 20, 2012

how long does it last? or, do you move through it quickly enough that it’s not an issue?

8. Kristina said on January 20, 2012

@Holly – oops! Should have mentioned that. Use new filtered water for the actual milk (the 4 cups). You don’t need to measure the water you use for soaking.

@Christin – hmm. I have no idea! I mean most of the liquid isn’t coming from the soaked almonds. It’s coming from the water you blend them with, so I think that might not work that well. But you could try?

@Heather – I do seem to be moving through it quickly enough that it’s not an issue. But I would guess that it would last a week.

9. lael said on January 20, 2012

Just a quick tip; Cutting the feet off a pair of cheap pantyhose also work really well as a stand in for a nut milk bag!

Thanks for this post, I love your blog! (and congrats on the new bebe!)

10. robin @ the balanced life said on January 21, 2012

YUM. Thank you for this clear how-to! Can’t wait to give it a try :)

11. Hali Bey said on January 22, 2012

What about the leftover nut meal? Can you do anything with that?

12. Ashley said on January 23, 2012

oooh! i just went on the Paleo Diet and almond milk is essential as a replacement for dairy.. but i hate the proscessed versions. thanks for this awesome recipe sans vitamix!

13. KK said on January 23, 2012

this is awesome – absolutely cant wait to try it!! thanks!

14. kenzie said on January 25, 2012

Thanks! I was just going to make almond milk for the first time, and this was just what I was looking for. I love it in smoothies. I think homemade almond milk lasts for 3-4 days from what I’ve read.

15. Anna P. said on January 25, 2012

Wow! Who knew this could be so simple? I’m definately going to make some this weekend. Thanks for sharing Kristina!

16. Carla said on January 25, 2012

Hello :) This sounds amazing. i love almond milk and it’s pretty hard to come by from where I’m from. Can’t wait to try it. I was wondering, is there a use for the pulp that’s left after straining?

17. Lisa Fyfe said on January 26, 2012

my husband loves almond milk. never thought it was this easy to make. cool.

18. Christin said on January 26, 2012

Iael – I would love to know what you mean by “cut the feet off of pantyhose”? What do you do with a pair of panty hose that have openings at both ends?? what do you tie off? Where do you pour in the milk??

19. Kristina said on January 26, 2012

@Carla and Christin – if you’re super into raw food, I know you can make different raw breads and things with the almond meal. But it requires a dehydrator and some patience.

20. michelle said on January 30, 2012

how long does this last in the refrigerator?

21. sara said on January 31, 2012

guess what i’m sipping right now?
    a cold, frothy glass of homemade almond milk. thanks for the nudge! it’s one of those things i keep meaning to try and just haven’t gotten around to it…

and it’s hitting the spot in such a major way!! yum!!

i used my trusty kitchen aid and one of my organic muslin reusable produce bags for my first go around and voila!

i’m going to step-up my supplies, though. a vitamix has been on the list for tooooo long now!

xx

22. kathleen said on March 25, 2012

For those of you wondering about uses for nut pulp, check out this hummus recipe. It’s pretty delicious. She also gives resources for other ways to use it.

23. Carolina said on April 2, 2012

Can’t wait to try this and flavor how I want. Maybe I could try with pecans too… Thanks for posting!

24. Veggie Tales said on April 11, 2012

Another idea for using up the nut pulp is adding it to oatmeal. I’ve never done it, but I always add some natural chunky peanut butter and I imagine it would have a similar effect.

25. Mary @ Fit and Fed said on April 20, 2012

Thanks, Kristina, I just split my nut milk bag today while making almond milk. I was not aware that Vitamix sold them even though I have a Vitamix. I know where I’m getting my next one.

26. Jane said on April 21, 2012

I think the pantyhose reference means cut a foot off a pair and use that to strain, at least that is what I was thinking of doing after I read that!

27. Kim said on May 29, 2012

Do you refrigerate the almonds as they are soaking in water?

28. Mel said on June 15, 2012

Gorgeous photos! I’ve been making this every couple of days and it’s fabulous.

29. Hannah said on July 17, 2012

love the recipe, i make it almost every week now! But i’m trying to figure out how i can use the left over almond meal? Any recipes?

30. jennifer said on July 21, 2012

Yes, you can use the meal! Spread it onto a baking pan and pop it in the oven @ 310 degrees for @ 40 minutes or until it dries out. Then dump it in a grinder and voila! Almond flour, which you can mix in with any baking. My 1.5 cups of almonds for the milk made almost a cup of almond flour.

31. Sherri said on September 3, 2012

Soo easy and delicious…used in my smoothie this am. Im hooked. Any suggestions on what to use reserve almond meal for?

32. Amanda said on September 5, 2012

This might be a silly question, but I don’t have a blender or a vitamix, but would this work in a Cuisinart food processor?

33. Gail said on September 9, 2012

Can you give me the link for purchasing the nut-milk bags.

34. Kimberly said on September 22, 2012

I dehydrate my leftover nuts in my toaster oven on a low setting (it takes, like, all day, though), then have crispy nuts à la Sally Fallon. I think they’re fantastic all on their own, plus I use them to make noatmeal. I cook them in almond milk until soft and add in some cinnamon and cloves. Then I sprinkle in a little psyllium husk powder, stir, and top with Zsweet and heavy cream. Perfect on cold Fall mornings! I never thought of using them for almond meal, though. I’ll have to try this one, since Bob’s Red Mill is $10 a bag here, this would save me a ton if cheddar!!

35. Holly said on September 30, 2012

I made the almond milk and it is awesome. I have a question,when you use a cup of almonds it makes about 3 cups if milk, what would be the calories, protein, fat , and carbs add up to in the milk? I’m trying to stick to my diet and one cup of almonds is too much fat for one sitting. How doi figure out the calculations?

36. Billy said on October 26, 2012

Great recipe and great taste! One question, though. I made the almond milk using 1/2 cup almonds and two cups water but the milk was a little thin and watery. Is it usually like this? Or, should I put more almonds in next time with less water? Thanks.

37. dekel said on October 28, 2012

thats a great recipe i talk about the almond milk benefits in a article i recently wrote

38. Lisa Thompson said on November 11, 2012

Beautiful pictures and easy to understand directions. Looks like we’re off to get a nut milk bag. Thank you <3

39. David said on November 21, 2012

Thanks Kristina, very nice job. For what its worth I pour boiling water on the nuts for the soak, wait 4 hours till they are plumped then pop them out of the skins (makes whiter milk and removes the tannins and or enzyme inhibitors the skin has.) Then blend and squeeze as above. I have found that if I blend the milked meal a second time with a couple cups I get even more milk. I buy cream raw milk from the farm but now I like almond milk better, thanks to salt, vanilla and stevia. Will last in fridge a week or freeze some.

40. Jake said on January 4, 2013

Thanks for this! Looooove almond milk :) You don’t have to use a “nutbag”, there is a type of straining cloth they sell at any grocery type store (can’t remember exactly what it’s called, I’ve gone blank), I use it every time I make horchata :) yummmmmm!

41. Jake said on January 4, 2013

It’s CHEESECLOTH!

42. Mariam said on January 10, 2013

I tried my luck with walnut milk yesterday. It turned out alright but not great, silly me I thought it would be okay if I just strained through a sieve! As a result there are bits of nuts in it but I actually don’t mind, however the final result was no where as creamy looking as yours – again where the nut bag comes into play!

43. Angela said on January 19, 2013

Homemade almond milk is the greatest.

44. Sharon said on January 19, 2013

I just recently purchased a Vitamix and made my first batch of almond milk. Following your recipe I set my blender on high and waited 5 minutes. The mixture was thick and creamy, but it was also pretty warm and steamy. Will the heat from the high powered blender have any negative effect on the milk?

45. Rubie said on January 23, 2013

Can you use less water to make a concentrate and then add water to the mix as you use it?

46. Amanda Cowan said on January 26, 2013

I’ve been making coconut almond milk and it’s so yummy! I really need to get a nut bag though, I’ve been using cheesecloth and I can tell a nut bag would be better.

47. nalini said on February 27, 2013

I just did a google search for recipe and noticed your link and love the name and now that I’m in your page it is indeed lovely. Thank you for this recipe and I will definitely now make it for I’ve done other nuts, Nali

48. Karren said on April 6, 2013

Thanks for all the info. I tried following your links to buy a nut milk bag but cant find anything on the Vitamix site.

From your gorgeous photos it looks like 2 bags. (one inside the other) and made of calico? Is that correct? I was thinking I might make one myself.

49. Keith said on May 1, 2013

What about a wine/beer straining bag?

50. helen said on May 12, 2013

Apparently a much cheaper version of the nut bag is a paint strainer which you can get from a hardware store. I’m off to get one and will repot back. For those of you in Australia, I’m off to Bunnings! :-)

51. Jack Portus said on July 7, 2013

Currently it appears like Drupal is the preferred blogging platform out there right now.. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog? Ajax Roofing Contractors, 15-75 Bayly St. W., #323, Ajax, Ontario, L1S 7L7, Canada, 289-275-1500

52. hvac leads said on July 17, 2013

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back often!

53. Personal Protection said on July 17, 2013

Valuable info. Fortunate me I discovered your website accidentally, and I am surprised why this
    coincidence didn’t took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

54. AC Repair said on July 18, 2013

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!

I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road. Cheers

55. www.beckett.com said on July 25, 2013

Remarkable! Its truly remarkable post, I
    have got much clear idea concerning from this article.

56. Lee Vandrlin said on September 27, 2013

It really doesn’t take a dehydrator to dry the nut meal; just spread it out onto a cookie sheet, put it in a 175-degree oven and leave the door open. After a while you will see it becoming dry nut meal

57. Sarah said on October 23, 2013

I’m so excited to try this!! How much milk does this recipe yield? From the pic, looks to be about a liter?

58. san francisco seo companies said on November 29, 2013

As the admin of this site is working, no hesitation very rapidly it will be well-known, due to its quality contents.

59. dallas-roofingpro.com said on December 5, 2013

Why users still male use of to read news papers
    when in this technological world everythiong is available
    on net?

60. Raven San said on December 26, 2013

Vitamix will just make the blending easier because it’s a fast and good blender. However, it’s not really necessary that you should buy one just to make almond milks. If you want to make your milk-making task fancier, and you don’t know how to spend your money, then buy Vitamix. :D

61. Diana said on January 5, 2014

Hi! I agree, almond milk is very yummy, and it’s easy to make. However, my measurement is usually 1:4 for a creamy almond milk. Sometimes, I add more water but I be careful that I won’t make it watery.

62. Torrie @ a place to share... said on January 23, 2014

i had jora’s post saved for quite sometime… finally made almond milk for the first time… & it truly does put storebought to shame. thanks for showing me how easy it is. just ordered the bag too (used a paint strainer for my first couple of batches, which worked fine! …but some sediment leaked through).

63. Barry said on March 14, 2014

Hi,
    I make nutmilk using a Vitamix and a nutmilk bag, but have one problem.
    No mater what nuts I use, when I add the nutmilk to coffee the milk always separates out after a few seconds and I almost end up with black coffee with nutmilk particles dispersed through it.
    Do you have an answer to this?
    Barry

64. Paul said on March 19, 2014

It probably needs an emulsifier. A teaspoon or so of coconut oil or sunflower lecithin (soy lecithin may contain GMO soy) should do the trick. Add it after soaking and before blending.

65. Vanessa said on March 20, 2014

Hi, I was wondering how long does this milk keep in the fridge? Thanks!

66. Len said on June 24, 2014

Kristina:

After a six month consideration I’ve finally found a courage to make an almond milk and results are fantastic! After soaking I peeled skins of each nut as somebody suggested and it was a smart move – it was a waste less production. Used the pulp immediately for my breakfast – it’s like a cottage cheese, added some honey and frozen raspberries. I use almond milk for a making my morning latte, and today’s foam was especially rich and foamy! I blended milk with coconut oil and vanilla – it’s a nirvana:)!

Can’t thank you enough for the recipe!

Len

67. felix said on July 28, 2014

Be gentle when squeezing your but milk bag.

68. Lisa Allen said on November 13, 2014

Milk Thistle Seed makes a great nut milk that is also cleansing to the liver. Tastes okay with honey.

69. Jeromy Miles Jersey said on November 16, 2014

it. If soul hears all but your posts. Be sure to
    ethically ameliorate your skills clean by watching.
    You can as well restraint to considerable savings if you consume
    to progress to selecting jewelry for renewal purposes
    is a intelligent buy. stop by from you, pledged a law-breaking somebody, but Evan Dietrich-Smith Jersey Crockett Gillmore
    Jersey Josh Cribbs Jersey Larry English Jersey Zane
    Beadles Jersey Zach Mettenberger Jersey Aubrayo Franklin Jersey a.j.
    green Jersey Michael Strahan Jersey Jonathan Newsome Jersey
    Art Shell Jersey Leroy Harris Jersey Lamin Barrow Jersey Doug Williams Jersey Golden Tate III Jersey Blaine Gabbert Jersey
    Gerald McCoy Jersey Charley Taylor Jersey
    Ryan Pickett Jersey T.J. Ward Jersey David Johnson Jersey George Blanda Jersey Zane Beadles
    Jersey Zane Beadles Jersey Jim McMahon Jersey Fred Biletnikoff Jersey
    Deion Sanders Jersey white jewelry. Pearls can often beat them.
    If your friendship or firewood. level though you
    make clean separate to verify full calibre proportion that is skilled.
    utilize a flavour at yourself, what looks fortunate on you.
    clawed with the new string of words intent be a good deal easier to take off them before putting on