January 18, 2012

Ostheimer wooden figures

Oh I love these little guys. Erin of Bird and Banner posted about Ostheimer wooden figures years ago, and I’ve saved the link to Wooden Wagon diligently in my bookmarks since then. I came across them again the other day while I was searching for another old link, and realized it’s time! I can buy them! I have an almost two year old who loves animals and figurines! (Almost as much as trucks.)

Erin (who btw just welcomed her third child – a sweet little boy! – into the world) told me that she actually bought most of her Ostheimer before she actually had kids. This is a brilliant idea. Because when you don’t have children, it’s very easy to rationalize buying a tiny $15 wooden figurine from time to time. So smart, Erin!

So for those of you who love these, and want them for your eventual children… maybe get started now. I just started our teeny collection and I tell you, I wish I had all of them all at this moment. But I think it’s going to be a process. As Erin also said (this is the post where I essentially quote Erin’s email), the hope is that my children can eventually pass them on to their children. So if it takes a while, that’s okay.

The Wooden Wagon also has all sorts of other great natural fiber and wooden toys. Definitely worth a visit.

comments

1. Katie said on January 18, 2012

They’re gorgeous! Which animals did you pick to start your collection?

2. Emily said on January 18, 2012

Oh, I love these! I have the mama and baby giraffe in our nursery :)

3. sabina said on January 18, 2012

I first saw these Ostheimer toys in historic Rotenburg at a toy shop in the village. It was the most amazing display, with all kinds of buildings, streams etc…with the animals included. It was truly magical. I didn’t know how I could take these with me on the plane, so I thought I would try to track them in America. But I could not find them at the time. Thanks so much for this link! They truly are a special find.

4. Kelsey said on January 18, 2012

These are beautiful, I’d love to start my collection! The post title reminded me of this adorable wooden nativity set my parents have. When I was learning to write I took it upon myself to label the box they were stored in. I wrote: “wudin figyors” in big letters. My mom takes a picture of the box every year and texts it to me when she’s decorating at Christmas.

5. KK said on January 18, 2012

totally adore your blog! congrats on your little one! i am excited to follow you and learn more!

6. Amanda said on January 18, 2012

Oh I love these! I believe Nova Natural carries these as well- I was thinking of buying some for Christmas but the $15 per led me to a $5 bucket full of farm animals,haha. Definitely not heirloom worthy, but I know my girls would loose them or the dogs would eventually get a hold of them -_-
    xo

7. jamie said on January 19, 2012

oh man, yeah. i would love a collection. i was thinking we could buy one a month? but the shipping would kill that plan…. hmmmmmmmmmmm.

8. Alice G Patterson Photography said on January 20, 2012

Came across this link from the Sweetest Occasion and OMG are these adorable!

9. Carla said on January 24, 2012

Hello :) These toys are lovely. There is something very sweet about babies playing with something that doesn’t require a battery or a plug.

10. sandra jiminez said on November 26, 2014

I love your toys, I will love to have it for my classroom.