January 6, 2012

This year…

I’d like to…

Start knitting. Again. If you can count my stint in elementary school and junior high. I love sewing, but they’re not the kind of projects you can start and stop and start and stop. Knitting, however, seems like you could just pick it up after dinner for a long time and eventually have something pretty that you’ve made. I can’t help it. I have the crafting gene and I feel so much better when I’m making something. In a perfect world I’d have a stocking or two made by the time next Christmas is here. I think that’s a reasonable goal, don’t you?

Those emails from Purl srsly kill me. And we have a great knitting shop in Santa Monica where I’m sure I can spend all sorts of money on beautiful yarns.

Not work when I’m not supposed to be working. Part of this will be facilitated by moving my office out of the living room and into our freshly remodeled garage, which is like more exciting than I can express. Having your email up on a giant computer in the main room of the house does not make for focused playtime with your darling son in the evenings. And part of this will just be letting go of things that aren’t finished for a few hours before he goes to bed. It’s FINE for things and people to wait. Fine.

Plant fava beans. This needs to happen stat. I think I’m going to clear the beds this weekend and go for it.

Make real meals and eat at the table. We are in a nasty pattern of eating on the sofa whilst watching movies and other more embarrassing things on TV. I can’t believe I’m actually admitting this on the internet. Maybe it will help me actually motivate to change? We’re lax because Dashiell is in bed by the time we eat (except on the weekends) so I don’t feel guilty about setting bad examples for him. But I DO feel guilty about perpetuating bad habits for us.

Clean out my wardrobe, for reals. I have sooo many things that I haven’t worn since I was pregnant with Dashiell. It’s been over two years (counting the pregnancy), I’ve made it back down to my normal size, and I still haven’t worn so many things. Time for a major purge. Those mini dresses… they might not ever see the light of day again, sadly.

Digitize our music library. As much as I resist complete takeover by technology at times, it’s time to convert. We don’t listen to most of our music because it’s on CD and who wants to go rifling through CDs when you could just play what you have on your iPhone? My parents gave us a new fancy receiver for Christmas that lets you connect wirelessly to any computer in the house and play music from iTunes. Plus it means that we won’t have to keep a place for all those CDs in the house. I love less stuff.

MAKE DASHIELL’S BABY BOOK. This should really be number one. The poor child is going to think we didn’t care about his arrival on this planet. I have like 300 photos ready to print and another 8 months of his life that I still need to go through in my iPhoto. I swear I will never forgive myself if I let this slide.

Plus the normal feel good intentions that so many of you have been posting about. I love all of those too, but this list is practical. And do-able? I need tangible things to accomplish sometimes. We’ll see.

Hat image from The Purl Bee, fava image from What Katie Ate.

comments

1. sarah said on January 6, 2012

I totally hear you about the eating in front of the t.v. thing! We have become so lazy!! We don’t have kids yet, but man is it guilt-inducing anyway :)

2. Liz said on January 6, 2012

Knitting is totally doable! I started both knitting and sewing last winter, and, while both persevere, it’s knitting that has my heart. It’s much more social and you can pick it up anywhere. Good luck!

3. Ashleigh said on January 6, 2012

Great goals! I have a baby book on my list too – and now that I’m pregs again I really have a deadline! And pls sell your clothes on ebay or something. You know, in your free time. We loyal readers love your taste and would happily shop your rejects. :)

4. Suzanne Nagel said on January 6, 2012

i hear you on the baby book guilt! saying that though im finding it hard to find one i like enough. have you found any good ones at all?

5. Mrs MacKenzie said on January 6, 2012

An easier alternative to printing out the pics and putting them in a baby book – Digital photobooks that you create online and order. We did one for our daughter and love it. We used Picaboo.

Dash prob won’t care either way. Boys rarely do, but his future wife might when she is baring his babies.

6. Lindsay said on January 6, 2012

I am in the process of making my daughter her 2nd year photobook. I really love the company ‘my publisher” I have tried 4 different companies, and they are the easiest to use, very helpful, super easy to download pictures and the quality is very good. And they often have great deals. Sounds like I work for them, but I dont. In fact, I live in Canada and have to pay huge shipping fees, but it;s worth it.

7. Rachel (heart of light) said on January 6, 2012

Such good intentions. We started the meals at the table thing last year and then backslid pretty severely when we both got tired and lazy. Should start that again.

I think I did *too* good a job cleaning out my closet last year (got hit with a cleaning frenzy in spring) – this winter I realized that I must have thrown out almost all my long sleeved shirts! I’m sure I intended to find replacements, but completely forgot about it.

8. sara said on January 6, 2012

dude. d’s baby book is sitting on his shelf, haunting me too. i cannot believe he’s two and a half and i still haven’t even put pen to paper. eeeeek. it’s a new year goal for me, too.

we’ve got the eating at the table thing covered (our only tv’s in the bedroom which, i’m sure, is the only reason we don’t eat in front of it on the rare nights we eat while d’s asleep) but the real meals thing? needs work. lots of work. also a goal.

ps: hi and happy new year!! xx

9. Kelsey said on January 6, 2012

We’re digitizing using iTunes Match, we have stacks and stacks of CDs, crazy that they’re obsolete! Happy 2012!

10. Suite Henry said on January 8, 2012

I feel you on the putting work away and the tv eating thing. I constantly carry my to-do list around in my head, even when I know I am not going to work and have the stress that I should be doing something more productive spoil the hours that should be spent relaxing.

I want to learn to knit! It does seems like the perfect pick-up-drop-pick-back-up activity!

Happy new year to you and your family.

11. Laura said on January 10, 2012

Oh yep. The baby book thing. SIGH. Our toddler is two, and my ‘book a year’ plan has never got past the planning stage. Thank you for the reminder to add this to my list.

Also the knitting. I even have the needles, just need some more yarn!

Lots of luck for 2012!

12. Madilla said on January 10, 2012

I would love to future your wardrobe make over on my blog. I write about creative organizing and interior design. Just a before and after picture and a mini interview. It’s always motivating for my readers to see how other moms are making inspiring changes.
    If you are interested please contact me.
    Thank you!
    Madilla

13. blake said on January 10, 2012

purl seriously kills me on a regular basis, and I don’t even know how to knit. OK, I did for about a day back in 1996, but that doesn’t count. someone needs to teach me so I can take on another project! :)