February 7, 2012

A birth

Pretty amazing, attending a birth. And laboring through the night with someone else. I’m going to resist telling my version of Jen’s birth story, since you know, it’s her’s to tell if she chooses. But a few bits of story to make sense of the photos…

The poor dear had to be induced on Thursday night after her non-stress test revealed that she had very seriously low amniotic fluid. She was 6 days overdue anyway, but induction means machines and monitors and lots of pitocin, which wasn’t the birth she was hoping for. But do you know what? She was a rockstar anyway. The woman had contractions that were one minute apart from 7pm until her baby was born at 9 the next morning. That’s a whole different kind of resilience, as those of you who have given birth know.

But it was a beautiful birth anyway, as they always are.

Awww, such a happy ending. Our friend Laura was there too and she’s a midwife, which was awesome. She’s the lady laboring with Jen in most of the photos. A pro is always nice to have on hand. By the time Jen had reached her limit and the anesthesiologist was giving her an epidural, she was 10 cm and ready to push (we found out after the fact). She dilated 5 cm in 1 hour. It was wild, but she did it. And her baby boy is perfect and all is right in the world.

I tell you, in the middle of the night, watching her contractions come one after the other, I had a long period where I was really kind of dreading going into labor again. It’s long, and slow, and unknown. But then once things picked up and she was really working, really laboring, and Laura and I were helping her through each wave, I realized that I CAN do it again. She completely inspired me. It’s amazing the kind of energy a birth brings. And the part I really can’t get over is that all night we were just watching a belly, and then in one second the belly turns into a baby. A baby! Who has been in there all this time! Words can’t really describe that transition.

I also realized that um, if you think you might want to have a natural birth, it’s pretty vital that you hire a doula or have some kind of labor support with you. You will probably reach a point when you are quite literally crawling the walls, and if you’ve never been there before it’s hard to understand that what you’re feeling is right and good.

Now I can’t wait to get down to their house to visit the new family at home. That’s where the magic really happens.

comments

1. Mary--The Yellow Door Paperie said on February 7, 2012

These photos are beautiful. What a precious gift to give to this family!

2. christina said on February 7, 2012

so beautiful…these pics made me teary…
    x

3. Stephanie said on February 7, 2012

What beautiful pictures. As a mom of two sweet girls, I know that feeling of holding them for the first time after you work so hard to get them to the world. There is absolutely nothing as precious.

4. jamie said on February 7, 2012

beautiful. as always.

5. blake said on February 7, 2012

gahhh, I just love it. how wonderful to be there! xoxo

6. Gretchen said on February 7, 2012

The pictures are absolutely beautiful! And I love what you said about watching a belly turn into a baby. What an amazing thing!!!

7. sara said on February 7, 2012

so beautiful… i have goosebumps.

and i totally just had a similar emotional reaction: at first i felt like “GULP, am i going to be able to do this again?!”

but then – yeah, i can.

and agreed. a doula is such a great investment, financially and emotionally. we couldn’t have asked for a better birth with bonzo – did it go so smoothly because we knew we had support there should we need it? can’t help but think it was a huge contributor.

xx

8. sarah@williamsburg baby said on February 7, 2012

So happy to be following your pregnancy adventures again. I am 14 weeks, so trailing a bit behind you, and enjoying reading. Reading birth stories is still a bit too “real” for me at this stage as this is my first and I am attempting to take things step by step, but these photos are gorgeous. Also, love the “bump” photos and the v. long hair. I generally prefer to be behind the camera so I haven’t ponied up and posted photos of my expanding middle just yet, but heck, my hair is also growing like a weed. It’s getting a little hippie-dippy these days.

9. Jillian said on February 7, 2012

wow steeners, these photos are amazing! i teared up and didn’t have to read a thing. once you go through this experience you can feel every *push* and emotion.

way to go jen!

xx~j

10. Emily said on February 7, 2012

So beautiful! I don’t think I will ever tire of birth stories. Congrats to the new family!!

11. Marie-H said on February 7, 2012

Absolutely beautiful pictures! They will both treasure these.

(On a side note, since you touch the subject at the end of this post, as my nephew was born a few days ago, I was wondering when is the right time to visit the new family at their home? Thanks for your insight!)

12. Carla said on February 8, 2012

The pictures made me tear up. I’m due in May so posts like this are extra meaningful. I’m so excited to have my own birth story! I always love seeing the expression on a mother’s face when she gets to hold her baby for the first time. So lovely :)

13. Laura said on February 8, 2012

Crying. This is*so* beautiful.

14. stephy-lou said on February 8, 2012

lovely shots! it’s so nice to see childbirth documented in such a positive way. i’m nearly 30 weeks pregnant and becoming very conscious of the impending labour – though that said i am looking forward to it.. perhaps that’s first-time-mom naivety. i’m not sure but i cant wait to meet our little one sometime soon. and i’ll def be documenting it, well, someone will be!

15. eli said on February 8, 2012

wow, these pictures brought me to tears. that first skin-to-skin moment is so miraculous … so memorable … SO PERFECT. congratulations to the happy family.

16. Rebecca Brams said on February 9, 2012

beautiful photos! it’s a very other-worldly experience, isn’t it? i remember after attending my friend’s birth of her second baby, i was soooo jazzed up on life, practically flying home!

17. Anika Yael Natori, aka The Josie Girl said on February 13, 2012

Those photos are so beautiful. I’m sure Jen will be thankful to have them. Thank you for sharing!

18. bridget said on February 13, 2012

loooove the pictures, the energy, the whole thing. love birth!!!

19. Damaris @KitchenCorners said on February 18, 2012

I have no idea who the lady in the stripped shirt is but I love her! Her expression is so great beyond words it make me love her. These pictures are fantastic.

20. carlylikes said on March 4, 2012

I teared up as well! With no personal connection at all.. It´s just amazing to see, everytime again. My best friend was my midwife and this also was so special.

21. Lorraine said on August 16, 2013

Donna and Gabe, I am so happy for you both and your beautiful filamy to have such a precious bundle of joy join you all. I only wish that she had come into the world a little sooner so I could have given her some Colorado lovin’. I’m sure the rest of the gang are totally tickled pink. Congrats She’s absolutely GORGEOUS!!! (And Donna you look FANTASTIC I don’t know how you do it?!?! and Gabe, you look mighty handsome too! Love to Everyone!!!! Later Dee

22. business insurance said on September 30, 2013

Slam dunkin like Shaquille O’Neal, if he wrote informative articles.