February 2, 2012

Weekend and things

I’m really sucking at posting, aren’t I? I want to post more, I do! Maybe soon. How about some photos from the last week for now?

Dashie loves skateboarding with his Uncle Jordan. Or at least loves the wheels on the skateboard.

Really fun day watching Amanda try on wedding dresses with Kendra and Jillian, (the Vera Wang space was pretty great), followed by a delicious ladies lunch at Fig & Olive.

OMG you guys, I’m working on recreating a cold-marinated fennel salad with orange and cilantro. It was nearly the best thing I’ve ever tasted. Will report back.

Our contractor found an envelope of negatives from 1950 in our garage while he was demo-ing to start construction on my new office. (Yay!) They are amazing. Photos of our house when it was freshly built, with the for sale sign out front and everything. I love love love seeing the history of our neighborhood. Plus neat photos of Carol’s family (our landlord and friend). So excited for her to see them.

And the garden update… aside from a few perinneal herbs, it’s fava-only season people. I’ve never grown them before, but I decided to plant all favas for winter/spring. They’re part of the vetch family and are a great natural way to re-nitrogenate the soil before summer. (Um, also I love them.) AS IF I’m going to actually get it together to plant a summer garden this year. Maybe if I can get a few things in the ground by May.

I’m going to admit that our 3rd heatwave of the winter finally wore me down. I’m over cold weather and completely ready for spring and summer. Luckily we’re heading to Mexico for a week on the 17th. Aside from the inevitable bikini time, I’m super excited.

comments

1. christina said on February 2, 2012

you and me, both sister with the posting!! ;) but so excited to see some pics from you…

love the old negatives, what a cool find…

hope you are great!
    x

2. alyson said on February 2, 2012

I love that Dash is airborn in that top photo.

3. Caitlin said on February 3, 2012

Please ignore this question if I’m prying, but do you rent your house? You have made it into such a home for yourself and your family, it would be really inspiring if you did that with a rental! We bought a house a little over a year ago, but might need to sell and rent again in the near future because of a job move.

4. Erin | Holtwood Hipster said on February 3, 2012

Love the perfectly captured memory in your beautiful photographs above. LA light is truly the best isn’t it? I’m working on creating some raised beds at our home as well. Maybe next year I’ll try my thumb at Favas. Would be a good way to take me out of the norm and introduce some different foods to my plate.

5. Cal said on February 3, 2012

Beautiful pictures!

6. sara said on February 3, 2012

dude if you suck at posting what’s that mean for me? my blog is seriously neglected.

love the skateboarding photos… they’re perfection all the way around… bonz has those bitty sweats, too!
    so cute. and d’s tummy poking out is beyond delish…

7. myka said on February 4, 2012

Please tell me where Amanda’s feather-printed Kaftan/Dress is from…? It’s AMAZING!

8. Karo said on February 4, 2012

Being stuck in extremely cold and milky-grey Warsaw, the sight of these beautiful pictures of sunlight and growing plants reminded me of spring. Let’s just hope I can hold on to that memory for another six weeks, garden palnning certainly helps.

9. Ridgely's Radar said on February 6, 2012

Great pics! Looks like fun!

10. Allegra said on February 27, 2012

I love Southern California! Beautiful pictures.

11. Amanda said on February 29, 2012

Myka, my dress is a Rachel Pally that I bought on sale at Shopbop last year. I love it!