March 28, 2012

28 weeks

Well! That weekly belly shot series has really taken off around here, hasn’t it! I think the last one I posted was 19 weeks? Oops. I’m sure none of you are surprised. Here’s where we stand at the moment:

You’ll notice the bangs are slowing growing. By June I’m hoping to be able to pull them back into a pony. Though I’ll miss them for sure. I think next summer they’ll be back.

I still find the idea that we’re having another child more of an abstract concept vs. a real reality. Probably because I’m having a hard time imagining a baby different than Dashiell. HE’S my baby. And I think when you don’t know the sex, maybe you tend to feel slightly more removed from who is inside? I could be wrong, but the unknown must play a part. I’ve always known that we would have more than one child, but I can also see why people choose to raise an only. I feel so fulfilled with just my little guy, but then I want him to have a sibling (or two!) so that they can all grow up together with the community and connection that a larger family can provide.

I feel prepared in ways I didn’t when I was pregnant the last time, but then I realize, who am I kidding!? I have no idea what it’s going to be like to have two! I figure the first year will be hard again, and then we’ll be settled into a new and comfortable normal.

In pregnancy land, I am…

Tired. Not sleepy, my body is tired. Like out of breath from the silliest things. Vacuuming, making dinner, etc.

Dry. OMG my skin is so dry. My face especially, which doesn’t make we want to put make-up on, or get dressed, or take pictures of myself.

In preparation, we’ve…

Ordered Dashie a new bed and rearranged his/their room. He won’t sleep on it for a good while, but we figured it would be better for him to start getting used to it earlier than later. I’m excited to have a snuggly place to read and play for the next few months.

Hired our doula again. I considered going it alone this time when I found out that my super dear friend Laura, who happens to be a midwife, would be in Europe and not available to be with me for this birth. But then I thought better of it because I feel like even though I kind of know what to expect, you never really know what to expect! Plus I asked Jora for her expert advice, being a mother of three babies who all came into this world with the help of a doula, and just hearing why she chose to have another woman with her each time helped me realize why I would want one too.

*Started* talking about names. Started being the key word. Last time we began that conversation upon receiving a positive pregnancy test. This time we have three months to go and are just getting around to thinking about it. We have a few in mind, but we’ll take any suggestions you might have. :)

I feel like there was more to report, but now that I’m trying to share, I can’t remember. Less than three months, people. I think June will be here very very soon.

Oh, and almost forgot! Here I am at 26 weeks in a little profile on the 31 Bits blog.

comments

1. Jennifer said on March 28, 2012

Can so relate to everything you said about being pregnant with number 2. We are expecting our number 2 in July. This pregnancy feels so different. I feel so much older, don’t want my pic taken etc, and also can’t imagine what it’s going to be like having a baby around here again. You look lovely btw.

2. Jen said on March 28, 2012

I was just thinking that even though I want other babies for my guy, it’s hard to imagine having one. Like you said, he’s my baby. Anyway, you look so happy and healthy. I can’t wait to see Dashiell with his new little brother or sister.

3. Ashleigh said on March 28, 2012

So much truth here! We, too, are expecting #2 in July. I kind of keep forgetting there’s a baby inside me, until I lie down at night and she starts rumbling around. With my son, I was so tuned in to him every second of every day. I guess I still am! To build a family is so special, and I know that having a little sidekick will shape both our kids’ lives. And by the way, I want your dress. You look great!

4. mau said on March 28, 2012

I had my second last June and everything you wrote about was exactly how I felt a year ago! Having 2 is definitely harder and for me the most difficult part is having to deal with the emotional side of being a mum to two people. Otherwise, it’s fantastic! I love seeing the two girls together. :-)

5. tjremp said on March 29, 2012

i love the pregnancy updates and pics. i want so badly to be pregnant, so i live vicariously through these posts and wait patiently until my time comes! you look wonderful. thanks for the updates.

6. mercie said on March 29, 2012

i can relate to several of your comments. we didn’t find out the sex of our baby and i felt a bit removed from the experience as well. it was so hard for me to picture what he/she was going to be like. i was convinced we were having a boy so i tended to think about what it would be like to raise a boy. then i developed preeclampsia in my 31st week and delivered a baby girl four days later. the illness and early birth (via emergency c-section) rocked my world and for a long time (and well, still) i couldn’t imagine going through it again. it was really traumatizing. almost losing my daughter (and fearing for my own life) was horrific. she’s a healthy little bean now (2 months old!!) and i’m just taking things day by day. congrats on number 2!

7. Amy K said on March 29, 2012

You look so great! I had my two boys 20 years apart so I can relate a little. I loved my first so much and felt so fulfilled I never even considered a 2nd. Fate however, had other plans and now of course I can’t imagine life without #2! It is definitely a different experience the second time around though! : )

8. sara said on March 29, 2012

i could have written this post myself! with the exception of a few minor details: ditto ditto and ditto!!

9. Kyla said on March 30, 2012

You look so beautiful!!
    I know exactly what you mean about only children. I am the oldest of 8 (yes 8!) so I’m used to a big tribe. But when I had my first child, my sweet girl, I was so happy, so fulfilled, I finally understood why people chose only children. It was a great lesson for me. But the sibling thing…watching my 3 kids together is the great joy of my life. And being with my siblings is another one.

10. Rebecca Brams said on March 30, 2012

hello, you look gorgeous! two kids = more chaos, more schedules, but not necessarily a lot more difficult in the first year. depends on their personalities i think. emry is just starting to become a lot of work at 17 months – he was such a mellow baby! but watching your 2 kids wriggle around together (happily) on the ground, like two little puppies? best thing ever!

11. louise said on March 31, 2012

You look so amazing. Pregnancy agrees with you. There is always so much unknown when it comes to raising children. I am sure that you will navigate with grace once the new baby arrives. I am so excited to meet him or her. xoxoxo

12. ellie said on April 2, 2012

i’m always just a bit behind you on the timeline. my son graham turns 2 in june and we are expecting our second in aug. so i’m afraid i can give you nothing, i’m just sitting back and watching you for cues! we found out the sex the first time, not this go’round. i agree with you on the feelings that go along with that. you look lovely what a wonderful year…life!

13. Kristyn said on April 2, 2012

Your post rings so true for me too. I’m expecting twins in June (due July 7th but won’t go past June 23rd…if I make it that far). We chose to not find out the genders, as we did with our son, and I’m so very much looking forward to meeting the two nerds that are constantly kicking, elbowing, and punching me. I’m so far behind on everything this time too, as we haven’t even chosen 1 name out of a possible 4 we’ll need. As far as a nursery goes, who knows. And the guilt I feel over “ruining” my 2 year old’s life by taking all of the attention time away from him…phew, it’s too much.
    You look fabulous and I’m excited to see what you end up having!

14. Kjersten said on April 3, 2012

You look gorgeous! I LOVE that dress on you, the color is fabulous. Where is it from?!