March 8, 2012

A favorite smoothie

Oh, hello. I bet you thought I’d completely disappeared forever. I haven’t! I am here! I am just, I don’t know, unable to get it together to post regularly at the moment. I want to, I really really do. But sometimes life just gets in the way. I think I might start again though. I have a bunch of ideas and photos and things I could share. Just need to make the time.

For now, how about my favorite smoothie? It’s so so delicious you guys. Definitely not a power smoothie… more of a treat. But everyone needs treats sometimes.

It’s a wee bit time intensive since you have to make the almond milk and juice the carrot ginger juice, but if you’re feeling motivated I certainly think it’s worth it.

Spicy Bunny
from Raw Food, Real World

(As per usual, the quantities are loose. Go with your instinct and you can’t go wrong!)

Equal parts homemade almond milk and fresh carrot-ginger juice.
2 bananas
4 dates (no pits, obvs)
pinch of cinnamon

Blend in blender. Drink.

If you’re lucky and have a good market or juice bar near you, you might be able to buy the carrot ginger juice and avoid getting the juicer down if that’s a deal breaker. It sometimes is for me, I have to admit. But I’ve been totally into my juicer recently and it turns out it’s not as annoying to clean as I make it out to be.

This pregnancy I’ve been craving raw vegetables and juices and kale and (as you know) almond milk like crazy. It seems like the opposite that is expected of pregnant ladies, but I’m going with it. I’ve also enjoyed my share of Häagen Dazs chocolate peanut butter ice cream, so there’s that too. Sigh.

comments

1. Jac said on March 8, 2012

Glad you’re back!

2. Rachel (heart of light) said on March 8, 2012

For some reason I am really weirded out by juicers. I think it’s the thought of having to clean the pulp out afterwards? I have no idea, I just know that I have no desire to own one!

Also, do you have a good blender rec? I love dates but my blender doesn’t seem to handle them so well – I end up with big chunks of date on the bottom (which isn’t all bad because it’s nice to chew on, but kind of unappetizing looking).

3. lindsay said on March 9, 2012

keep posting! please!

4. holly said on March 9, 2012

i really love that recipe book. afterwards i followed sarma on twitter but she was a little intense! ha. must try spicy bunny this weekend.

5. Monisia said on March 9, 2012

it is amazing:) I have been in this day:))
    delicious!
    m

6. Desi said on March 9, 2012

Whenever you have the time we will be happy to read and see what you have to share.

I do this style smoothie a lot. I like to add almonds to it or some whey for a little extra protein.

I’ve been doing a ton of celery juice lately. Today it was celery, carrot, apple, mint. So yummy. I drank it a little too fast because it was so tasty.

7. blake said on March 9, 2012

Hmmm, this sounds divine. Still kicking myself for not making any fresh almond milk yet. I KNOW I’ll love it. No pressure on the posting! We’ll be here :)

8. Katie said on March 10, 2012

This sounds so good!!! I found a smoothie recipe on LA in Bloom with almond milk, dates, almond butter, cinnamon & banana that is also amazing (added protein with the almond butter). Yummy. Thanks for sharing :-)

9. sara said on March 11, 2012

dude, i’ve dipped my spoon into a tub or two of ice cream lately, too.

seriously, i don’t think i ate it once last go-around… but this time? cannot resist. oh dear.

this smoothie sounds delish.
    you totally ignited a homemade almond milk obsession with that post you did a while back… it’s my new favorite thing! xx

10. Ridgely's Radar said on March 12, 2012

YUM!

11. elizabeth antonia said on March 13, 2012

cinnamon, dates, almond milk and bananas are pretty much the perfect base to a smoothie!! love this.

12. Klára said on March 13, 2012

It seemed to me like waiting for another letter, which is also a bit insure whether it will be delivered or not – and finally it’s here! Thanks and waiting for more posts from you :)

13. mina said on March 21, 2012

i love the idea of adding dates to smoothies. thanks for the recipe!