April 18, 2012

30 weeks

30 weeks seems like a milestone, doesn’t it? In reality, I have a while to go yet but still. Judging by how quickly this pregnancy has gone by, I’m going to be staring June in the face very soon. Excited and kind of nervous. Definitely more nervous than last time… because this time I *know* what I’m getting myself into. Last time it was just ignorant, impatient bliss.

Spring skinny jeans! They are not necessarily sorbet, but they are bright and fun and they make me feel like less of a fashion slug. And guess what? NOT maternity! Just two sizes bigger. Even better, because if experience serves me I’ll be going up a number of sizes after this baby arrives.

I was agonizing over which pieces to buy from Hatch Collection, you guys. Agonizing. They all seemed perfect, but also silk (um, not the best fabric for carrying a 2 year old around), and expensive, and I couldn’t figure how to get the discount for liking them on FB, and I don’t GO anywhere fancy anyway, whine whinewhinewhine.

And then I happened in to Gap the other day and walked out with an entire new wardrobe for what I would have spent on one Hatch dress. None of it maternity. All of it bright and fun. My jeans are Gap 1969 always skinny. They’re stretchy and low enough that they actually work as perfectly comfortable maternity jeans. I wouldn’t recommend them for a day of travel or anything, but they are fine for regular pregnant activities. Also walked away with a handful of Gap Pure camisoles, which are perfect. A few bright tanks, and some loose long sleeves. I could have easily taken home 5 more things, but I restrained myself. Ahhhh. Never would have guessed that I’d be so excited about Gap!

In pregnancy news, I’ve discovered that my weight gain seems to be directly correlated to the amount of chocolate peanut butter ice cream I consume. Go figure! The weeks that I indulge myself I find at my appointments that I’ve gained double the amount of weight suggested. Um, oops. Maybe I will be slightly more careful. Of course I rewarded myself for my exceptional ability to put on weight with an almond croissant and warm baguette with butter and jam from Amandine yesterday morning after my appointment. So clearly I don’t care that much.

We’re narrowing in on names, which feels good. I was starting to fear that we’d be talking names while I was in labor. Hopefully not.

I’ve been swimming loads, which is amazing. It’s the only time I don’t feel incredible amounts of downward pressure, and also the only time I don’t have to pee every 10 minutes. I think it might be time for a new workout suit though. I’m still wearing the one I wore while I was pregnant with Dashiell. It’s looking a little obscene, I fear.

And it’s been really fun to start talking to Dashie about his new sibling. He’s known from the beginning that there’s a “baby” in mommy’s tummy, but that was probably more of an abstract concept. Now he can feel the baby kick and he gets super excited (and probably kind of confused) and his eyes get big and he smiles and laughs. He thinks we’re having a brother.

How are the rest of you pregnant ladies feeling!? My advice: hit up Gap while you can.

(Aqua skinny jeans and orange tank from Gap. Chalk art from Dashiell.)

comments

1. Naurnie said on April 18, 2012

My GOD you are lovely.

2. celia said on April 18, 2012

if i looked half as amazing pregnant as you do, i might actually consider doing it again.

3. mandie said on April 18, 2012

You look radiant. :)

I hope I look half as great as you when I’m pregnant.

4. blake said on April 18, 2012

looking so cute! LOVE the colors.

5. Desi said on April 18, 2012

You look so cute. That color combo is perfect.

6. mary said on April 18, 2012

this post totally brightened my day — you look amazing & have such a great perspective! you give me hope some day i’ll be ready to be pregnant again (i’ve got an almost four month old!). thanks for being such an incredible mama & sharing it with us!

7. Ashleigh said on April 18, 2012

Mama, you are looking GOOD! Thanks for the GAP tip – my maternity wardrobe is sad sad sad this time around (and I don’t want to spend money on maternity clothes I’m only going to be wearing till July!) so off to the GAP I head tomorrow. Love that Dashiell is starting to understand about Baby! We aren’t there yet with our son, but maybe in the next couple months…

8. Ros said on April 18, 2012

Fashion SLUG,… would you get outta here! You’re looking great!

9. Sarah @ Williamsburg Baby said on April 18, 2012

I also found some great and very cheap stuff (non-maternity) from Alternative Apparel. I like the Hatch stuff too but it just seems excessively expensive at a time when I have to buy, oh, every single baby-related item.

10. Katie said on April 18, 2012

Love the new outfit!

I’m just over 33 weeks and while part of me feels kind of ready to meet him, he really needs to stay in until a few days after my due date when I finish nursing school!

11. louise lynch said on April 18, 2012

You are the so gorgeous when you are “with child.” Hope you are feeling as good as you look.
    xoxoxo Louise

12. Gaby [The Vault Files] said on April 18, 2012

You look gorgeous! And yes, those Gap jeans are the best, I wore them while pregnant and loved them!

13. stefanie said on April 19, 2012

you look SO gorgeous and bright!

14. holly said on April 19, 2012

you look amazing!!!

i am only 17 weeks, so i am totally in need of mat clothes and will be going to the gap for those skinnies soon.

15. Tonya said on April 19, 2012

You look wonderful!! I’m 19 weeks and feel so big and have been looking for an alternative to maternity clothes. I must say that I am quite dissapointment in the selection and price of maternity!

I’ve found a few pieces at NY&Co. Loft, and TJ Maxx. I’m loving this years style of comfy loose tops and dresses! But I think I may be heading to Gap next….thanks for the tip!!!

16. Adrienn said on April 19, 2012

27 weeks and feeling great! Trying to eat less bread so I can have my daily chocolate intake.

17. sara said on April 19, 2012

who gets to be that pretty whilst pregnant? you, it seems.

you look great, mama!

and roger that about last time, ignorance = bliss.
    i’m right there with you!

xx

18. alyson said on April 19, 2012

oh my goodness, Kristina!!! you look AMAZING. I love reading about Dashie’s feelings as we’ll be going down that road in the near future. so fun!

19. kat said on April 19, 2012

just saw that hatch is on sale at fab.com (which also has super cute kids & design stuff). still expensive, but a good chunk off original prices.

you look great mama!

20. Jen said on April 19, 2012

I can’t get over how healthy and radiant you are! This look suits you. And yes, Hatch is on Fab this week. Still spendy, but it’s a discount. Asos also has a few maternity pieces for far less. I never did fit right into maternity outfits though. I think you’ve got it right…just size up the cute stuff!

21. Jen said on April 19, 2012

Oh! And you aren’t the only one to hit up Amandine after appts. Although you probably aren’t making a habit of it as I did…

22. redfrizzz said on April 20, 2012

Hurrah for swimming through pregnancy! If it feels good now, I suggest discussing a labor or birth pool with your care provider. Also known as “the natural epidural” ;)

23. Lauren O'Neill said on April 20, 2012

K—you look absolutely amazing! Loving the bright + fun splash of color.

xo

24. Maria @ Orchard Bloom said on April 23, 2012

you are looking gorgeous! Looks like your pregnancy is treating you well.

25. Kelli said on April 28, 2012

I am going to have to hit up the Gap for some post-maternity-not-quite-back-to-normal wares. You look great! Thanks for the tips! I was the same about naming our second baby recently (we didn’t know the sex either), and then you meet them and it just amazingly ‘clicks’, stress free : )