June 12, 2012

Beautiful two

It’s been such a while since we’ve had a Dashiell update around here, hasn’t it? I’ve been meaning to share one forever, but as well all know, I’ve been meaning to do a lot of things and they just don’t seem to be happening as quickly as I’d like.

Two. Actually 27+ months. It’s really become a joy. I’m likely going to eat my words next week, but “terrible twos” just doesn’t seem like a real thing to worry about. Sure, there are moments when we’re all frustrated and it’s not as easy, but in general having a two year old is amazing. Listening to his language really develop and the way he puts together thoughts is so endlessly fun. He’s such a sweet and funny and silly and joyful guy.

His little smiling face is such a treasure that it nearly breaks my heart every morning when he gets up, and every afternoon when I’m done with work and he sees me come in the back door (from my newly remodeled garage-office), and says “Llegó Mommy!”. Listening to him learn and truly speak Spanish is crazy and fascinating and makes me weirdly so proud of him already.

He runs and jumps and practices hopping on one foot, and climbs the furniture and leaps between the coffee table and couch (probs not the best game to allow, but I can’t help it. He loves it so). He can ride a scooter! He gives big kisses and hugs and he tells me about who he spent his day with at the park. He likes to keep tabs on everyone in his life and talk about when he will see them again or what we did the last time we visited.

It goes something like this, whilst climbing on the (brown) pouf in his room:

“Jillian has a blue poof.”
(Yes, Jillian does have a blue poof!)

“Where’s Jillian?”
(Probably at home, buddy.)

“Where’s Liam?”
(Liam is at home with Jillian.)

“Where’s Scott?”
(Scott is probably at home with Jillian and Liam too.)

“And Judah?”
(Judah is with Laura.)

“Where’s Laura?”
(Laura and Judah are at home. They live in Georgia. We’re going to see them in a few months.)

“Where’s Jordy?”
(Jordy is probably at home too.)

“Where’s Jess?”
(Jess is at home, like Jordy.)

“Jess went to work.”
(Jess did go to work, and then she went home.)

“And Daddy goes to work.”
(Mmmm hmmm. Daddy goes to work.)

“And Damma and Dampa are coming to see Dashiell!”
(Grandma and Grandpa ARE coming to see Dashiell! This weekend they’ll be here, and we’ll go to Pitfire.)

“And have mac and cheese and pizza pie.”
(Mmmm hmmm.)

“Yeah.”

Or we might be outside in the garden and we will have a similar discussion about the chickens and fava beans and spiders and berries.

It’s so dear, it really is.

He plays with his truck collection for what seems like hours on end. He reads books to himself in his room. He helps me in the kitchen, sometimes. He counts in English and Spanish. He sings songs with his daddy. The list goes on. Trying desperately to cherish these last few weeks (or days?) while it’s just the three of us. Even though I know it will be endlessly more fun when there are four, I can’t help but feel a teeny bit wistful of my time as a mother of one.

comments

1. erin said on June 12, 2012

So adorable. Beyond!!! Please tell me about the crib-bed transition! My little guy is turning 2 this week and is totally crawling out of his crib. :/ Love the idea of bed on floor. (great bedding too!)

2. Helene said on June 12, 2012

Such lovely writing and photography. Found your blog just recently, I find it very moving and true. Beautiful child and wonderful atmosphere comes through the photos… Thank you for sharing.

3. alyson said on June 13, 2012

I love that he is learning Spanish! he’s so smart! such a sweet boy.

also – The Curious Cat!! we LOVE that book. :)

4. sara said on June 13, 2012

jeepers these photos are delicious!! i’m totally inspired to break out my real camera today… that blasted iphone makes me lazy!

love everything about this post…
    and i love how, despite all the unique little quirks and things that make them completely and totally special, there are sooooo many similarities and truisms with these tiny little people!

xx

5. you are super pretty said on June 13, 2012

sending you love and beautiful birthing vibes…..
    xo.

6. Elaine said on June 13, 2012

Beautiful! I LOVE this post. Your writing about Dashiell is so sweet and the photos are gorgeous. Tell me, who is teaching him Spanish–is that you? Did you do this from day one?
    Wishing you a beautiful birth of baby #2. I can’t wait to see what you are having. I’ve been reading your blog since before Dashiell was born, and have had my own little one in between.

7. ellie said on June 13, 2012

i am right there with ya! mine just turned 2 and i have two months to go until our newest family member arrives. i hope our 2 year old can speak so well and count with the coming months. hearing you talk about dash motivates me! his room is gorgeous by the way (or whatever room that is)

8. Kristina said on June 13, 2012

@Erin – well, he’s not actually sleeping in that bed yet. We bought it in *anticipation* of his move to a regular bed. So we don’t have to buy a second crib. We’ll see how that goes this summer! He still kind of loves his crib so, you know, :/ And the comforter is Dwell, in case you’re curious.

@Alyson – such a good one!

@Sara – Oh, I’m soooo lazy with the big camera these days. It’s like a chore to get it out. Hence lack of blogging and proliferation of Instagramming.

@You are super pretty – Thanks J!!!

@Elaine – Our nanny speaks Spanish to him, actually. Can’t take credit for that little bonus! My husband and I both speak Spanish, but not to Dashiell. And not nearly well enough to actually teach him. Congrats on your little one too!

@Ellie – So much happens at the two year mark. It’s the language explosion time! And all kiddos learn different things at different times. You’ll be amazed how much he picks up in the next few months. Congrats on your bebe #2!! Glad you like his room. :)

9. My Love Wedding Ring said on June 17, 2012

Sooooo cute!! And that is just the conversation!! The pictures are pretty cute too, what a little sweetie!

10. elizabeth said on June 17, 2012

pure shining love!! and just as soon as it is terrible…it is beyond beautiful. i’ll take every moment of every age.

just checking in on you mama. sending thoughts for a lovely delivery your way!
    xo e

11. jamie said on June 18, 2012

so so good.

12. Giovanna said on June 19, 2012

nekkid blonde baby! so incredibly sweet. i see you’re due any day now! so exciting! enjoy the last few days…

13. MrsMacKenzie said on June 20, 2012

Adorable.

And check out those thighs! He is muscular!

14. Cathy said on June 26, 2012

Sooooooooooo cute!!!!

15. Adrienn said on June 29, 2012

Cute, cute, cute! I have still 2 weeks to go. And feeling the bitter sweet emotions of having only a precious boy to take care of. Trying to savor every moment.