August 13, 2012

Currently love for baby and mama

Some things I’m finding useful this time around… the baby swing in my office is pretty great, while it lasts! Action shot below.

The Miracle Blanket. OMG! Trust me on this one, you don’t need another swaddling blanket. For actual swaddling, that is. The Aden + Anais are beautiful for decorative purposes (I bought these before Forrest was born as a treat to self) – over the stroller, as a light blanket, I even use them for nursing covers when we’re out and about. But they’ve got nothing on The Miracle Blanket when it comes to keeping baby wrapped up tight. No folding, no velcro, just an ingenious design that makes it easy breezy.

These Gap Pure tank tops. They are super long and stretchy, which makes it easy to pull the neck down for nursing. And since they’re so stretchy they don’t seem to get ruined as quickly as others I’ve worn in the past. In truth they’re all I’ve worn for the last 6 weeks.

A white noise app. Brock used this all the time with Dashiell, but I resisted. No! We do not need technology for our baby! Yes, in fact we do. We have an old iPhone with no cell service that we carry around in the stroller and the Ergo and the car. I swear it helps him sleep better. Big fan of tools thing time around. Big fan.

The baby swing. You guys, I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Ready? Baby swings are FOR SLEEPING. Oh, you already knew that? Yeah, well. I didn’t. I totally thought they were for hanging out in whilst baby is awake (which they hate because it probably makes them sick or something). I’m a little slow on the uptake, apparently. Now, we’ve only used it for a few naps so far, but it seems to be amazing. I have it set up in my office and I’m hoping it allows me a few hours of quiet work time every day. At least for a few weeks until he outgrows it. Even better, we’re borrowing Luciana’s. I love passing baby stuff around!

Belgo from New Belgium Brewing. It’s my go-to right now. A Belgian IPA that’s a little sweet and a little bitter. The perfect combination at this very moment for me. Every night. Around 8 pm. Err, sometimes 6. Or 5.

There’s probably more, but the sleep deprivation is setting in and I forget things as soon as I think of them. But it’s temporary, remember? That’s what I’m telling myself.

comments

1. Lina said on August 13, 2012

What a lovely baby you had! whats the beer for? Does it help you with milk supply or just because you clearly deserve it? Take care, this will pass in no time!

2. sara said on August 13, 2012

i need to take a cue from you with the beer. it’s never been my favorite but lately it’s been sounding good.

ditto on the swaddling blankets!! ours have velcro which kinda sucks. we had them for dylan but we hardly used them. this time? every night. heaven.

and the swing! another carry over from last time… mixed reviews from dylan and same from ayler but it’s in my office too and when it gets the green light it makes for a happy mama. i cut the little canopy off when we got it – did you too?!

xx

3. holly said on August 13, 2012

awesome. i love posts like this. with 6ish weeks to go, this is super helpful!!

4. Kelly said on August 13, 2012

The white noise app is a-maze-ing. My daughter had horrible reflux for 5 months and that seemed to be the only thing that calmed her down. We had it on my phone, my husband’s phone, the iPad, and an old non-functioning phone. We wanted to have plenty of backups if needed. And all were the paid version because that has the hair dryer sound, which seemed to calm her best.

5. Jennifer said on August 13, 2012

Loving your posts as I am a few weeks behind you in this whole process. Must take your lead on the beer thing! So far I only take sips of my husband’s beer at dinner. My baby seems to be lasting longer between nursing so I feel like I have more wiggle room. Also, would love to know what nursing bras you use/like. Especially to wear with the racer back tank tops you posted.

Hope you guys are adjusting and making it through this time. It’s crazy how different the second time feels for me. Sending sleep to you and your family.

6. Alison said on August 15, 2012

Ditto and two big thumbs up on the Miracle Blanket. It really is a miracle. And, also my go to in the early months: Dogfish IPA. I’m thirsty…

7. colleen said on August 16, 2012

I’m behind on your blog and wanted to say congratulations! All I wanted to drink post partum was beer! (I still use a white noise app for my toddler too– love it!)

8. Kristina said on August 20, 2012

@Lina – clearly because I deserve it! But I suppose “they” do say that it helps milk supply – Guinness at least.

@sara – do you get her basically asleep and swaddled before you put her in? Because that was the trick for me. Plus white noise, of course.

@Jennifer – I actually love the nursing bras I have right now. They super inexpensive and have pretty thin straps and are too much bra, if you know what i mean. Some of them feel like you’re wearing a cast, almost! But they are not racerback so I’m a little trashy with the straps out. But whatever, right? They are these:

9. www.pochlaniaczewilgoci.pl said on October 17, 2013

Hello! I simply would like to give you a big thumbs up for your
    great information you have here on this post.
    I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.