August 21, 2012

Quinoa salad with lemon-tahini dressing

By special request via Instagram… the quinoa salad recipe. So, here’s the thing. Not really a “recipe”, more like throw some things together and call it delicious. But I will share what I have. It’s a knock-off of a salad that Joan’s on Third does, but it’s so obvious you’ll be like, how did I not think of that?

Quinoa Salad with Lemon-Tahini Dressing

~Salad~

2 cups quinoa, prepared as usual (Don’t forget to let it drain!). If possible make this at least an hour or so ahead so it has time to cool before you make the salad. I sometimes make it in the morning and just leave it out in a bowl until I’m ready to use it.

1 can chickpeas (or cook your own if you’re awesome and/or don’t have a new baby!)
Cilantro, chopped
Parsley, chopped (you decide how much of each you like)

~Dressing~
(I use this dressing from a fave Orangette recipe as a guide, and gussy it up a bit.)

1 shallot, minced
Juice of 2 lemons
Grated zest of 1 lemon (do this before you juice one of them)
2 cloves minced garlic
Olive oil
Tahini
Salt

Let’s make the dressing first. Combine the shallots, garlic, lemon juice, zest, and a large pinch of sea salt together in a bowl. Let the shallots and garlic macerate for at least 5 minutes. 10 is maybe better. Whisk in a large blob of tahini. Probably a 1/4 cup? Maybe a little more. You’ll have to trust your cooking skillz here because I didn’t measure, and you need a little more sauce than the Orangette recipe calls for. Whisk til nicely combined. Then add as much olive oil as seems to make sense, plus some more salt. And if you like, a bit of water. Taste it, (it’s probably delish), and then add whatever you think it needs.

I usually add the dressing to the quinoa first, to make sure it’s nice and coated. Then I dump in the rest of the ingredients, mix, and that’s pretty much it. You might need to add a bit more salt (I like me some salt), or olive oil.

This salad is super duper flexible and you can add lots of things to it to make it even more tasty. Like:

Sunflower seeds
Chopped tomatoes
Oil-cured olives
Avocado
Preserved lemon
Feta
All of the above!

It’s generally a crowd pleaser, but also super simple. And makes for a perfect picnic/potluck contribution.

I’m so glad it’s summer.

comments

1. Erin Mulcahy said on August 21, 2012

yay, thanks for posting. Sounds so good!

2. Ros said on August 21, 2012

I cant wait to make this!…. Kristina can you recommend a good recipe book with lots of fresh/raw salads? Thanks x

3. sara said on August 21, 2012

yum!
    going to have to try this soon.

loving summer, too. don’t you love how people are starting to gear up for fall but for us summer’s peaking!
    we’ve got ’til halloween!!

xx

4. cianne said on August 21, 2012

gotta make this weekend. aren’t the simplest recipes always the best?

5. Amy said on August 22, 2012

Awesome! Made it for lunch today… all the way in chilly South Africa. Was just craving something fresh & yummy :) Thanks!

6. Bec said on August 23, 2012

Wow! Just made this for dinner with some grilled salmon: sooooooo good! This will definitely be a staple for our upcoming (Australian) summer.

7. Rebecca said on August 24, 2012

I’ve made this twice already…great on couscous and barley!

8. Teresa said on September 5, 2012

thanks – this is a recipe right up my alley! looks delish…

9. steampunk said on September 12, 2012

WOW!Love it!Looks so yummy!Thanks for sharing the recipe!I wanna have a try!

10. Vaughn Page said on January 26, 2013

¼ lb butter (softened) ¼ tsp black pepper 2 large eggs ½ tsp basil 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese 1 ¾ cups milk 1 cup quinoa meal, or flour 1-cup corn meal ¼ tsp salt 2 tsp baking powder Preheat oven to 425° degrees. Prepare quinoa meal by grinding raw quinoa grain in a blender, or use quinoa flour. Blend milk, eggs and butter. Mix dry ingredients together and add to liquid. Fold in grated cheese. Bake in greased muffin tin until golden (10-15 minutes). Makes 24 puffs. These cheese puffs are a perfect combination with soups and salads or as a hot appetizer.

11. amanda said on January 27, 2013

I just threw together beets, carrots, radishes, and chickpeas, with quinoa to clean out my fridge. I came across your dressing recipe and it is perfect for this combo. Thanks for making my clean up salad awesome!