October 30, 2012

Oh, hello.

Wow so the entire summer passed with barely a word on this poor blog. Things have been…

busy.

But things are also kind of settling down finally. And I keep having ideas for posts, but then I can’t find the time to write them. If I could stay up past 9 I would probably get more done, but I cannot stay up later than that yet. Nearly, but not yet. Sleep deprivation is so consuming and I think it takes a while to make up for all those lost hours in bed.

But somehow things do seem to be getting a wee bit better. And I miss it here, even though I’m not sure there’s anyone left to read. Maybe you will come back if I actually post again? Let’s try and see how it goes.

Here’s a general update…

Dashiell started preschool in September and it’s been amazing. His language exploded again and he seems even happier now that he can express what he’s thinking all the time. And I mean, ALL. THE. TIME. He’s the king of self-narrated play. We naturally find it adorable. However with the greatness of preschool has come the onslaught of colds. They are knocking us on our butts, I have to say. Dashie is in the middle of his third cold in 5 weeks. And I’m talking real colds, not just a sniffle for a few days. And Forrest has had a string of mini colds that have resulted in a secret ear infection only discovered because we had his four month appointment this week. Feeling pretty good about that one! He hates his antibiotics and I feel like I’m torturing him twice a day as he gags down the dose. The poor poor dear.

We went to Seattle a few weeks before preschool started for my friend Jen’s wedding. It was fantastic. Despite my fears of traveling with both of them, and I’m not going to say it was a walk in the park, it was really great for our family morale. We can go places! We can do things! We are not actually stuck at home from here on out! Brock and I even snuck out one evening for an hour or so to grab dinner at How to Cook A Wolf, which was conveniently right around the corner from our rental house. The wedding was beautiful and the venue, Bella Luna Farms, truly one of a kind. Like if the Sundance Catalog and Anthropologie got together and styled an entire farm. Unfortunately 10 weeks of broken sleep caught up with me that evening and I literally hit a wall during the party. But we survived and I’m so glad we went. Also, Seattle is gorgeous and special and we’re hoping to go back sometime when we can really explore and enjoy.

We’ve actually been to three weddings since Forrest was born, most importantly… um, hello! Amanda’s! Which will be making it’s media debut in Martha Stewart Weddings in March. It was beautiful and fun and the cocktails were delicious and thanks to Brock’s mom making a huge effort for us, we were able to enjoy a bit of the party.

I still feel like there is never ever enough time in the day (see: going to bed at 9pm every night), but I know that will change too. I did manage to make Dashiell a little halloween costume, though it remains to be seen if he’ll actually wear it. I’m sure you’ll find out on Instagram tomorrow.

We managed to carve pumpkins and roast seeds. I’ve actually made dinner a few times, which makes me feel somewhat normal again.

I gave Dashie his first “boy” haircut and now he looks even more like a girl. Oh well. At least he can see.

I desperately need a haircut myself. And I mean desperately. My hair is the longest it’s ever been, well below the bra strap, which I think is a pretty standard measure for having really long hair. Now I think I could actually sneak out to get it cut, but I’m waffling back and forth between keeping it long and going for a big cut. I reeeealllly want to chop 10 inches so I can donate to Locks of Love, but I know I’ll want it back the second it’s gone. What do you guys think? See how long my hair is in these pictures?!!

I still have posts brewing about welcoming the second baby, about sleep, and about how to get your bottle-resistant baby to take one. Who wants to hear them? Maybe if I start posting again I will find the time.

Forrest did his first full night last night (only two months behind average French babies but who’s counting??!!), so I feel like we might be headed towards normalcy. Sleep is after all the most coveted of all things that are lost when a new baby arrives. At least for me.

Photos by Michèle, while we were up in Seattle. She shot my friend’s wedding too!

comments

1. kate panke said on October 30, 2012

we’re still here! so glad you’re back posting! My son Jack is the same age as your baby + you made my day saying you go to bed at 9pm… I don’t have to feel like I’m the only one missing SNL during election season ;)

2. Kelsey said on October 30, 2012

Yes, I’m still reading too! And just announced my pregnancy on my blog today! Due in April with a spring babe. So would love to hear more about your experiences!

3. Anne-Marie said on October 30, 2012

So glad to see you back! You’re doing great!! Hang in, mama.

4. caroline said on October 30, 2012

Glad you are back and so happy you updated all of us. It has been pleasure watching your beautiful family grow. And, you are a beautiful mama. BISOUS.

5. Melanie said on October 30, 2012

and you still make it all look easy

6. Katy said on October 30, 2012

Welcome back! Life with 2 is exhausting, so you’re perfectly allowed to go to bed at 9pm. I have a 2-yo and an 8-mo and I still don’t feel back on my feet–every time life starts to feel normal, something knocks me down again (teething, illness, toddler suddenly being afraid of ghosts, etc.) Your long hair is gorgeous, but I have to admit, I recently chopped mine off to the shortest it’s ever been and it’s fantastic. Baby hands are like Velcro. Tugging, Venus flytrap balls of fury.

7. Mau said on October 31, 2012

I’m still reading and checking my reader everyday for your posts! It took me quite a few months to adjust to two so I really know what you’re talking about. Whatever you want to write about, I’m interested. Welcome back!

8. Meg said on October 31, 2012

I love reading your blog and would love to hear more of your thoughts about having two. Those pictures from your friend’s wedding are so great.

9. Katie said on October 31, 2012

Since I’m not a mommy like you yet, all I can say is, you look great and are hang in there! My thoughts – whenever I’ve cut a fair amount of my long, blonde hair before (5″ or so), I’ve immediately missed it. But when I cut a drastic 10+” off to donate to Locks of Love, I never shed a tear and felt so good about the cause that I embraced my new do. Go for it!

10. Katie said on October 31, 2012

Oh, and I love your braided crown. I’ve got to figure out something like that…

11. nicole said on October 31, 2012

These photos are stunning. I love your hair long like that. xo.

12. S.K. said on October 31, 2012

I’m glad you’re back. I think everyone’s been sick; at least in my part of town. Changing weather always makes it worse. Waiting for a good freeze to settle the germs down. About the hair: Whenever I get mine chopped short, I love the quickness and easiness of it, but eventually I get tired of not being able to do anything with it and grow it out. Then I’m inpatient for it to grow and be long again! But while it’s actually short I enjoy it. Right now I’m just letting it grow as long as is sane. :P

13. Katie said on October 31, 2012

Yay you’re back :). I have an almost 15 month old, and the thought of a second little one is def brewing, I for one would love to hear about life with two!!

14. julia said on October 31, 2012

i chopped 12 inches off my hair a little over 2 years ago (and donated it to locks of love) and i’m just now craving long hair again. that was the second time i’ve done it in my life and it usually took me a year or two before i wanted it back. it’s hair, it grows back. it may take a while, but you’ll feel so good about the donation. you have gorgeous hair and someone would be so lucky to have a wig of it. just a thought…

ps. i’m still here too!

15. Sarah Stäbler said on October 31, 2012

I hope you all get some more sleep soon! Such lovely pictures of your family. Thanks for sharing!

16. meghan said on October 31, 2012

I am still traumatized by the lack of sleep in the first bit.

17. Alison said on October 31, 2012

you look so beautiful with your long locks, as do your boys. i remember that there was a time when it felt like i was never going to catch up (on sleep) and then magically, i was able to stay up later and later and now… too late. it will come. and then you will blog late at night again and be too tired the next day and wonder why you aren’t still going to bed at 9pm. what a wonderful cycle is life! welcome back. bring on the sleep, bottle, baby posts!

18. Kristen said on October 31, 2012

It’s exciting to see a post. thanks! I love the names you chose for your boys. Just out of curiosity, how do you pronounce Dashiell’s name? DASH-uhl or Dah-SHEEL. I love the name and am always curious how others pronounce it.

19. Jacey said on October 31, 2012

So glad to see a new post on here! But anyone who has had a newborn understands about the lack of time (and sleep). Your family looks great!

20. Jennifer said on October 31, 2012

You all are amazing! Please do share how you got Forrest (who is SO BEAUTIFUL btw) to take a bottle. My little guy also resists and he really needs to start taking one. Congrats on his full night too! Share that too please. : )

As for the hair, you will be beautiful with it long or short. And, if you cut it, it always grows back.

Loved the post and the pics. Take care of yourself mama.

xo

21. sonja said on October 31, 2012

welcome back! i discovered your beautiful blog just a month or two before forrest was born while I was pregnant too (our baby asher is just about month older than your cutie) — i totally hear you on the deliciousness of sleep!

gorgeous pictures! and looking forward to reading more as you have time.

your hair is so lovely! i say enjoy your long hair and wait until it begins to thin when the postpartum hair-loss begins (hopefully it doesnt for you! but i am losing handfuls every day… alas..) and then maybe you will want to go for the cut then? :)

22. Jenn said on October 31, 2012

So excited to see a post from you today. I’ve been following your blog for a little over 2 years – my daughter was born right after Dashiell and I remember crying my eyes out when I read his birth story :) Here’s hoping you get another good night’s rest!

23. Brook said on October 31, 2012

LOVE to see you back here again. keep the long hair. I just cut mine (with bangs) and regret cutting the length. recommend bangs though as een with hair pulled back, I feel put together…mama style.

24. mandyp said on October 31, 2012

i have checked your blog every couple of days, waiting for your return… i knew you’d be back! i’ve been reading since before i was married (3 years ago now…) and we’re expecting our 1st little one this december.

anyways, just wanted to say that up, in that very first photo, i thought to myself, “wow, what gorgeous hair. i’m going to grow mine long!” so, do what you wish, but i think it’s simply breathtaking!

25. Desi said on October 31, 2012

I love all those pictures of Forest peeking over your shoulder. What a little sweetheart.

26. Desi said on October 31, 2012

^ Forrest ;)

27. Lydia said on November 1, 2012

I stumbled across your blog searching for good nursing wear advice (an old post on thread for thought tanks popped up).. I had my first little bub in July and loved reading this post.. hearing about juggling the cumulative sleep deprivation, juggling two, social occasions, travel.. similar to our little upturned life here in the east – only with one babe to contend with. I applaud you for both wonderful honesty and giving so much love to all your boys!

28. logan said on November 1, 2012

love seeing you back on the ‘ol blog!

Life with two littles is tough and I totally feel you. Our second babes are only 5 days apart (and I think our firsts are just a month apart in age) and I still feel like I don’t have my stuff together.

and it took our sweet girl forever to take a bottle. She went hungry while I was back at work for a week until she finally decided to give it a go. She’s still not the best, but it’s something to eat.

Glad to see you back and looking forward to your stories to share.

29. karole-anne said on November 2, 2012

Hello! Thank you for posting again! Your sons are so cute (and your hair too) and I was desesperately missing some California sunshine – I am a French girl living in Paris but reading you since 2008 – my wedding was in sep 2008, first daughter in January 2010 – so I could easily relate, despite the distance…;) anyway. Had my second daughter 15 months ago and to make her take the bottle, I let her alone with her dad for an entire day (she did not eat for 8 hours before trying it!) (sounds cruel, I know) (but it was one week before the end of my maternity leave!) Looking forward for reading you again

30. katie said on November 2, 2012

Yay for you being back :) My second bebe is on it’s way, so I’m so looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

31. Kristina said on November 2, 2012

Hey, thanks everyone! Wow! You’re still out there.

@Kate, that’s what DVR is for!

@Kelsey, congrats!

@Anne-Marie, Caroline, Melanie – thanks ladies.

@Katy, that’s what I’m thinking! Hair is such a pain right now. Plus it’s falling out. :/

@Katie – thanks for the encouragement. Appointment made for Sunday. We’ll see what I decide to do! Braided crown is from Pinterest! http://pinterest.com/pin/114982596707384532/

@Julia, thanks lady!

@meghan it’s soooo brutal.

@Kristen, it’s Dash-uhl. But we get Dash-eel all the time.

@Jennfier – will do. It’s so helpful to at least have the option!

@Sonja – hair is already falling out in clumps. Might be time for an update!

@Brook, I know! I love having bangs for just that reason. But I’ve been growing mine out for a year so I can’t imagine cutting them again just yet. But maybe…

@Desi – :)

@Karole Anne – Aww, we have such similar timelines! At least with the weddings and first babies. xx

32. Veronica said on November 2, 2012

So glad you are back and doing well!!

33. Emily said on November 3, 2012

Glad to see you and that all is well. I love your blog! and your long hair!, so beautiful! Enjoy the weekend.

34. jamie said on November 3, 2012

now i am all nervous.

35. Kelly said on November 4, 2012

your hair is amazing in these pictures

x Kelly

36. paula said on November 4, 2012

welcome back! I’ve been following you for a while, it is reasonable that you need to rest and to do the most important things before post this blog,

about the long hair… it looks so beautifull in these pics! but if you still need some change, cut it !! it will grow back again!

37. Laura said on November 6, 2012

The long hair is really beautiful! Lots of love from Belgium.

38. carolinapostcard said on November 6, 2012

glad you’re back! what gorgeous pics and so nice to have the momma in them.

ps: if I had even half your hair I would let ‘er grow baby grow!

39. Amy K said on November 6, 2012

Your hair is gorgeous! Srsly.Lucky girl! Also, your babies are adorable. The itty bitty days are beautiful but challenging at the same time.

40. Tiffany said on November 10, 2012

Your hair looks beautiful! And I hope you get sleep soon! Our 4th baby just turned 4 months and things are finally starting to feel “normal” again. No sleep is the worst! And your hair only need be 8 inches for Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths :) http://www.hairromance.com/2012/10/how-to-donate-your-hair.html

41. bridget said on November 12, 2012

these pictures are so lovely, kristina. especially loving the first.

42. mich said on November 12, 2012

So glad you’re posting again! Your blog is one of the few I read regularly, and I am happy you’re back! I totally feel you on being busy with 2 kids. I just had #2 and the exhaustion is crazy, isn’t it?! You’ll be doing so much better soon with the little one sleeping through nights, so just hold on to that! On cutting hair ~ I’ve had mine chopped a couple times and I have always regretted it….not because shorter can’t be flattering but because it’s difficult to find a trusted stylist who won’t go over-board on how many inches get chopped and will give a flattering cut. I can recommend a stylist on Abbot Kinney who will LISTEN and not F it up (who fixed my recent botched cut when I flew back to LA).

43. anna said on May 29, 2013

It seems like you are trying to show off how amazing your hair is! I know this comment is a bit late, but really I just had to say something. All the pics of the cool hair color and awesome braid style, and you are all ‘oh, my hair is so sad should I cut it or maybe you could just tell me how bad ass it is instead’ You know it looks good, what are you trying to do make other moms feel like crap? Why don’t you just tell us how you did that style already?