April 8, 2013

Beginnings in the garden

I do not love spring. I love what it represents, to be sure. I love the new buds forming, the light scented air, the possibility of warmer days and nights, daylight savings time… But generally spring is windy and it tricks you into thinking it’s warm because the sun is out, but really it’s cold. And I find the whole season just slightly irritating.

But the garden is starting to come back to life, after nearly a year of neglect. That little Forrest. His arrival put a few of my hobbies on hold for a while.

This little box under our bedroom window just keeps going. I add new plants in every once in a while. It’s one of my favorites.

Dashie and I have been working on a little sedum garden outside my office door.

These guys are huge. And just about to flower now.

More succulents. They’re everywhere.

Ah the favas. We’ve started harvesting. Yum.

Artichoke plants so grey this photo looks black and white. Can’t wait for the babies to arrive.

Kumquats for days. I think this year I’m going to make marmalade.

Found a broken bird’s egg in front of the back door. Nature isn’t always kind.

Then there’s this little kumquat. I love him so much.

comments

1. Heather T. said on April 9, 2013

Jealous of your garden — it is still threatening snow here in the Midwest!

p.s. Forrest looks so cutely impish here :)

2. Clare said on April 10, 2013

Great to see you back in this space Kristina! I’m also jealous of your garden…and totally agree about spring…lovely in the abstract, but I always see to have chosen the wrong coat and up cold! Would still love to hear your thoughts on two..we’re planning to add a second in the not too distant future. Forrest sure is a cutie!

3. Jennifer said on April 10, 2013

Yay for gardening season and being able to garden again!! I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to work in the garden with a mobile 9 month old. I’m thinking pack-n-play.

Good to see you back!

4. Melanie said on April 21, 2013

kumquat marmalade has been on my to-do list for 3 years. let me know if you want a partner in crime.

5. Elaine said on April 30, 2013

Love the little “kumquat” in your garden and that light in his eyes. Gorgeous.

6. Ros said on May 2, 2013

Wow, spring looks so different in your part of the world!

7. yellobuttercup said on May 17, 2013

Oh, gosh! I feel the same way about spring and always have. When I tell people they usually look at me like I’m crazy. I’m glad there is someone else out there who also feels annoyed by the wind and the brightness and the deceit and the teasing that summer is just out of reach.

8. boka said on September 12, 2013